Seems Like Old Times Reviews

½ April 10, 2015
Some jokes hit but most laid an egg.
½ March 29, 2015
I have always liked chevy chase and goldie hawn separately in their movies but they are great together as well. the chemistry is so natural... you really believe they were once a couple that drove each other crazy haha. Charles grodin is perfectly cast as her uptight new husband that is thrown into circumstances suddenly... and honestly who plays uptight better than Charles grodin. this movie might not be as big a movie as the individual stars other movies but still highly likable and funny. yes there are stereotypes with the native American guys that goldie hawn is representating as a district attorney and also her black chauffer etc so be prepared. that part of the story got irritating. anyway even with its flaws I couldn't help but like it :)
½ February 15, 2015
Charming little Chevy Chase/Goldie Hawn comedy from writer Neil Simon. The film is a nice throwback to classic screwball comedies which Chase on the run from the law and having to hide out with his ex-wife Hawn and her new husband Charles Grodin. The comedy doesn't reach Hawkes or Sturges levels of screwball comic heights, but it's a very likable cast, with good chemistry between the leads and some pretty funny moments. Robert Guillaume, Harold Gould, and T.K. Carter also appear in the film.
January 24, 2015
I didn't find this movie to be that interesting.
January 25, 2015
tedious, only for big Chase/Hawn fans.
½ November 21, 2010
(First and only viewing - 11/21/2010)
April 25, 2014
The goofball comedy Seems Like Old Times is poorly written and unfocused. After being abducted and forced to rob a bank Nick Gardenia seeks the help of his ex-wife, but things get complicated when her new husband is assigned to prosecute Nick's case. The story is poorly told and never seems to know where it's going. And despite have a strong cast that includes Chevy Chase, Goldie Hawn, and Charles Grodin, the comedy is weak and doesn't really work. Seems Like Old Times is a badly made film that doesn't deliver that many laughs.
½ April 19, 2014
A fun, smart little comedy that knows exactly what it is and should be. The writing is crisp and sharp, the performances are all top-notch and the plot lends itself perfectly to the madcap antics that unfold. The ending is surprisingly thought-provoking for a movie this light, but it sticks with you.
½ March 29, 2014
An easily forgotten, but not altogether horrible romantic comedy, this turkey was written by Neil Simon in his first time writing a screenplay straight for the screen. All the elements for a good eighties slapstick comedy are there: Chevy Chase as the bumbling misanthropic foil, Goldie Hawn as the slightly bubble headed but still do-good protagonist, and Charles Grodin as her long suffering second husband. While there isn't anything new to see in yet another romantic comedy about a love triangle, it still has the same zest and slapstick humor of the old Hollywood goofball comedies of the thirties and forties, which is what Neil Simon was going for. What I find repellant is how long they drag out every single, solitary, gag. The wife hides her ex from her current husband, and oftentimes is almost caught for her efforts, and so it's awkward and funny, and eventually she rambles something incoherent and stumbles out of the room. We've all seen these pratfalls before, but lingering on bad puns does not make them funny, as is the same rule of thumb for prompting chemistry between two leads. Though there are some genuinely feel good moments, it's nothing new compared to the rest of Simon's repertoire.
March 28, 2014
Two words: chicken pepperoni.
February 1, 2014
"Seems Like Old Times" may not be as funny as Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn's previous venture together, 1978's "Foul Play," but it just comes to show that with the right cast, miracles can happen.
Today, comedy relies so heavily on raunch and nudity - "Seems Like Old Times" looks to physical comedy (to the brink of being a throwback to the screwball comedy of the 1930s) and dynamic performances from its ensemble. That's what comedy should be, after all.
Chase plays Nick Gardenia, a divorced writer whose luck goes off the deep end when he is kidnapped by a pair of crooks (Judd Omen, Marc Alaimo), who plan to force him to rob a bank at gunpoint. Of course, this wouldn't be a comedy if the plan didn't go through. When the two criminals throw Nick out of there car, he decides the best way to get help is to seek shelter at his ex-wife Glenda's (Hawn) home. He can't go to his house - he's now a wanted man.
This might not be such a good idea: Glenda is married to Ira Parks (Charles Grodin), the District Attorney. Glenda has a sweet heart, but knows it's a terrible idea to let Nick hide out with her and Ira, considering the consequence that could occur. But as time goes, she feels guilty and lets him stay - without Ira knowing.
"Seems Like Old Times" plays out like a sitcom. Though most films would suffer from this aspect, the film is so good that you'd only hope it could someday become a TV show (even if it would never work). Not only is it fun to watch, but it manages to be madcap to the brink of insanity, making use of Chase and Hawn's flawless comedic timing and bringing in a gigantic group of cats and dogs (it's a long story) to add to the situation.
Simon's writing is brilliant, giving us scene after scene of utter comedic perfection - the climax of the film, which sees Ira and Glenda hosting a dinner party (which includes the Governor), has Nick hiding out in the kitchen, with the butler drunk out of his mind. The situation plays out with such witty dialogue, so many unthinkable occurrences, that from beginning to end it's completely dynamic.
In the end, you can't call "Seems Like Old Times" 100% perfect, because it's not. Sometimes the plot doesn't really go anywhere, and it's hard to tell whether or not we're supposed to expect Glenda and Nick to get back together again. But no matter what, we're never bored, and we laugh instead, and there's nothing wrong with that. And on a level of "perfection", I'd give it 85%, and that isn't half-bad now, is it?
½ November 30, 2013
mildly amusing with chase, hawn and grodin in their prime.
½ November 5, 2013
Easily one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Chase's irrepressibility is reminiscent of his National Lampoon role, and he pairs nicely with Goldie Hawn, who plays the ridiculously naive Glenda. It never goes into complete madcap/parody territory, but it gets close, and it's fun to watch the relatable characters get in increasingly silly and unrelatable situations. Nice ending as well.
January 26, 2013
Two stars for the two stars, Chevy and Goldie. Grodin is good too but aside from these and some hilarity from a very witty and interesting premise, this movie doesn't offer much. I don't like to criticize Goldie and Chevy or Neil Simon for that matter, so I'll simply say that the movie is good for a laugh, which is why it was made, and then that's it, nothing more. Fun to watch these comedians at work.
½ August 30, 2012
A very dated comedy. Chevy and Goldie tried but the script was really not very funny. The best part of the film was the opening in Carmel, CA and seeing cute and adorable Goldie again. But we gave up the ghost after 40 minutes. Time to retire this old dog from 1980. Suggest you rent Arthur....that is a great 80's comedy.
June 24, 2008
Sigh. They don't make them like they used to. These are comedies, not the vulgar, offensive crap we call comedies today. Stylistic, well-performed and awesomely funny. Loved the characters, but it's not the best in its category - doesn't compare with other Hawn/Chase comedies of that decade. I still had a fantastic time though - wish it would keep its pace throughout, and not falter by the end.
April 13, 2012
"she's not in the kitchen eating friend chicken thats for sure!"
This is my all time favorite chevy chase movie, and it is certainly one of the only movies I like Charles Grodin in, and.. goldie hawn is so cute. goldie here, is her daughter now. Chevy and Goldie do wonderful work together. I will own this movie someday. I WILL I WILL I WILL! Can I give a movie more than 5 stars, dammit I wish I could!!
April 1, 2012
I love Neil Simon comedies.