67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Sei mong se jun (Ab-normal Beauty) Reviews

WrenchLT
WrenchLT

January 21, 2011
It didn't completely turn out the way I thought it would. Had this been made in Europe or Hollywood I think they would have gotten more of the subject matter. It's still not a bad movie. Starts off well I thought and ends brutally too, but the middle part was a bit slow. Well acted and stylishly shot, but a missed opportunity.
3niR
3niR

September 24, 2010
Man this was boring. This is the first Korean movie that disappointed me (although I'm pretty new at Korean movies). I always thought that Asian movies are supposed to be extremely scary. This does have some scary moments. But it was too slow and almost killed me. The twist at the end was obviously a good one. But that doesn't make this any good.
Kylie B

July 21, 2007
The begining is an interesting view of an artistic obsession spiralling out of control, but I feel the ending was somewhat lacking in punch despite how graphic it was.
Drew S

January 27, 2007
A pretty solid Korean suspense film. It doesn't deliver many scares, but puts forth a very interesting premise that is occasionally compromised by adding too much to the plot. Some of the subplots didn't really seem to move the story forward, and a few scenes dragged.

The Wong sisters, playing the two female main characters, have a lot of screen presence and acting talent. All of the other major performances are pretty slow.

Ab-Normal Beauty's final strength is its visual construction. The movie is absolutely gorgeous, both in cinematography and in composition. Even all of the actors are beautiful.
Duncan R

May 24, 2008
I always thought that if I was ever in the mood for a fantastic horror movie, east Asian filmmakers would never disappoint.

Oxide Pang has disproved that assumption with this convoluted mess of a movie. Sure, it's beautifully shot, and the music is excellent. But the sparse threads of plot that do exist in this movie aimlessly meander in search of a point without reaching it. I don't mind style over substance, but style without substance is just plain boring.
Christopher B

February 4, 2008
Very good film combining the gritty and corny sides of Asian horror into an interesting cocktail of blood!
elziard
January 4, 2009
The first half of it is a pretentious bore. Then, just when you think, "wow, a happy ending" they introduce a ridiculous twist. One or two elements couldve made for a better story. There were interesting pieces in play but wrong moves made.
June 16, 2008
It looks pretty, but it's slow and, considering the subject matter (lesbian photographer becomes obsessed with death!), it's really really tame, too. Doesn't really know what kind of horror it wants to be, so it all just comes out flat...
February 9, 2008
pretty good storyline. there twists and turns that aren't seen coming. Americans should watch out. Asian people are starting to have a cornerstone on horror
silverclaudia
May 24, 2007
Awesome! Take advantage of the brief bit of normalcy in the middle breakfast scene to catch your breath before the end. You're going to need it! ^.^
misscurtis24
April 18, 2007
Beautiful haunting movie to watch. It starts out very artsy and then towards the end kind of goes all Hostel on you. Recommended for sure.
October 1, 2006
One of the better Asia Extreme films I've seen so far. Really beautiful, genuinely creepy and generally a nice story.
June 20, 2012
Quite a serious and unsettling film about a girl who becomes obsessed with photographing scenes of death, she starts to receive photos and videos of death and torture scenes, and investigates.