• R, 1 hr. 39 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Semi-Pro Reviews

Anthony L

October 22, 2012
Semi-Pro wasn't too bad, I liked the way they visualised the 70's, they often get it wrong but here they got it right. I liked the supporting actors more than the main actors, Andy Richter in particular. The script was also reasonably funny, the gambling/Gun scene being stand out. I just can't help but think this would have been a great film with a different lead actor, I just don't find Will Ferrell funny. He plays the same character in every film he's in and his improv just isn't very good.
Eric A

September 14, 2012
More like semi-funny. Good thing Will Ferrell made up for this flop with Step Brothers right after.
Phil H

March 8, 2008
This is really a lame sports comedy, we've seen so many films like this now, especially with the 70's look going on, its extremely old and cliched. To make things worse this isn't even funny, only two occasions actually made me laugh, the rest of the time its just kinda dull.
All the characters, looks and ideas have been done before, Ferrell has played this same charcter afew times now and its getting boring. Harrelson has made much better with 'White Men' and 'Kingpin', the latter being a truely brilliant sports spoof of sorts.
This is just 'Talladega Nights' with basketballs, the only impressive thing was Harrelsons wig.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

February 27, 2008
The Greatest Fro on Earth

Saw it again! Will Ferrell + Basketball = To me a good comedy which I enjoyed and laughed alot. Easy story to follow and never boring. Nice cast.

Three men, three dreams. It's 1976 in Flint, Michigan. Jackie Moon's American Basketball Association team languishes in last place, with few fans in the seats. Jackie dreams of a merger with the NBA. A tough-minded point guard named Monix is at the end of his career; he's played on the champion Celtics but accepts a trade to Flint to be close to Lynn, the love of his life. Clarence "Coffee" Brown dreams of stardom: he's the Tropics' best player, but he's a hotdog who doesn't value teamwork. When the trio learns that a merger is in the works that won't include the Tropics, they pull the team together to try to achieve the impossible. Can dreams come true in Flint?
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

August 11, 2011
Semi Pro is funny and has a bit of heart, and I love Will Ferell, but this film was boring and nothing really happens. Jackie Moon (Will Ferell) is a coach for an ABA team and when he and his team is offered a chance into the NBA, Jackie must pull all his strings to get his team from last place and into the Top 4. The plot is very basic, very boring, but the characters (although screwballs) have good hearts and the writers did a good job there. Will Ferell is the show stealer as usual, he is just naturally funny and stupid, and I loved him. Woody Harrelson actually was pretty awesome, his character was cool, smart, and actually had a backround, but he wasn't very funny. There is a few cast members who were funny, and a few who were not, and although Woody wasn't very funny, he and Will Ferell were my favorite. The jokes were okay, the scene with the bear was pure gold but most of the movie has a good joke every like 10 minutes, which made it not as funny as I hoped, mostly just a lot of lazy jokes. Overall it was funny, had good characters, but it didn't have a good story and the great jokes took a long time to happen, but still a comedy people will laugh at, and the scenes with the bear are hilarious.
BEACHBUNNI
BEACHBUNNI

December 2, 2008
has a few good moments but nothing that lights my fire in this one....The structure of the film is no different from other sports comedy where the hero and his team act like theyre on top of the world, realize they're a bunch of losers and then try to prove something to themselves and the world by playing (and eventually losing) against their rivals in a big game at the end
Brian D

February 27, 2008
Going by some reviews on here and other places i was thinking this was going to be a pile of turd poo.But i was taken back and was surprise that it was actually good.Its not perfect and there are plenty of bum jokes but when there are some good ones they are brilliant.Worth a check if you like will ferrell.
Spencer S

January 24, 2010
The best performance was ultimately Harrelson's, and the laughs were few and far between.
Richard C

July 29, 2010
B-
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 11, 2010
Semi Pro is an unoriginal, unfunny film that uses recycled humour from Will Ferrell's previous films to create it's brand of comedy. A film that signals yet another death rattle ring for Will Ferrell's tumbling career, Semi Pro is a film thats desperately trying to be funny. What happened to Ferrell? Zoolander, Old School and Taladega Night were good enough comedies. But this? This is crap, pure crap. Only the diehard Ferrell fan with intelligence of a 2 year old will love this. Semi Pro, is simply put a recycled film with jokes that we've heard before with the same characters under different names. This film is not different than Blades Of Glory or Anchorman. Will Ferrell's golden years are behind him, and Semi Pro along with Blades Of Glory, Step Brother and Land of The Lost is the beginning of the end for Will Ferrell. Only his most diehard followers won't admit his pathetic decline into mediocrity.
KJ P

January 13, 2010
You can't deny how funny it is, but it's completely stupid!
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 9, 2009
Honestly Will Ferrells Movies are one of the very frew Movies I think twice before I watch.
Jason O

August 15, 2009
Basketball's definitely my favorite sport, but this is far from one of my favorite movies.
Nicki M

February 25, 2008
Expected silly, got silly. The song was probably the funniest bit in it.
Bobby H

April 8, 2009
Semi-Pro is has some decent funny parts, and while the plot is completley ignorant "Let's get fourth place!" it's still better then half of today's comedies. However, it has a lot of weak problems.

The problem with Will Ferell's movies as of late is, the creators of these movies are suggesting it's going to be the funniest and biggest hit - simply because he is there. Will Ferell is a genious and he's one of the funniest men on the planet, I won't take that from him, but it takes more then one funny actor to make a movie and this movie is proof of it....

This role is becoming stale, and Will Ferell's character alone is not going to save this film or any future films from pure disaster if they continue to use it so carelessly.

There's a few great lines that will have you laughing on behalf of Will Ferell and fun to follow for a short bit, but then the film just takes a wild twist of turns into pure stupidity.

It's a typical comedy of todays era.

Overall: Semi Pro keeps true to it's title. In the movie industry, it's only Semi-Good and was a huge flop from what it could have been based on my standards.
Daniel P

February 25, 2008
I liked this movie more than I expected. It wasn't like a lot of movies, where three stars points to a let down, it's just a case where this is no Anchorman, and probably suffers as a result. A few of the scenarios in the film were more ridiculous than I could stand, and a few of the scenes were too long and self-indulgent and by times - sorry Will, I still love you - unfunny. Enough big laughs, though, it could become a favourite "fun" movie. In passing, Woody Harrelson was good despite basically reprising his Roy Munson role from Kingpin, and Maura Tierney is still a poor man's Jennifer Aniston (not to mention a better actress).
boxman
boxman

November 8, 2008
[font=Arial][color=DarkRed]Fool's Gold - This may be the most boring film about treasure hunting I've seen in a long time. Clearly the filmmakers were intending to strike the comic/romance/adventure balance of [i]Romancing the Stone[/i], but boy does this flick flounder. It progresses but it never builds any sense of momentum; [i]Fool's Gold[/i] works almost entirely in lateral moves so no scene feels any more important than the other. It's like the film succumbed to Matthew McConaughey's foggy, stoner spirit and decides to just shrug its shoulders through gunfights and explosions. The characters are grotesquely annoying and yet the supporting characters keep elbowing into what should be a combative romance between Kate Hudson and McConaughey. It's like the filmmakers thought exotic locations, sunny skies, and extremely tan lead actors would take care of the rest. Nothing in this movie ever crosses over into intentional comedy. The treasure angle is so contrived that it requires extensive sit-downs to just go over the convoluted exposition. [i]Fool's Gold[/i] is an empty-headed errand that takes far too long to go absolutely nowhere. For goodness sake, the movie has a puffy Malcolm-Jamal Warner (Theo from [i]The Cosby Show[/i]) as a dreadlocked Caribbean gangster. You tell me if you think that sounds like a good idea.

Nate's Grade: C-

Baby Mama - 2008 is becoming a year dominated by Tina Fey. She won three Emmys for her Best Comedy TV series [i]30 Rock[/i], including writing and acting, and her dead-on portrayal of vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin has branded the public perception of this political figure. [i]Baby Mama[/i] is a mildly entertaining comedy that works because of the finely honed chemistry between Fey and her former [i]Saturday Night Live[/i] co-star, Amy Poehler. The movie is at its best when these two women can play off one another. The banter isn't laugh-out-loud funny but provokes plenty of smiles and chuckles. The movie goes in an unforeseen direction in the third act that attempts to raise the stakes through drama, but it feels like a disappointing direction for what is essentially a female buddy comedy. The jokes flow at a steady pace and the movie has a great supporting cast of big names that know how to leave their mark, like Steve Martin as a daffy New Age CEO and Sigourney Weaver as a amazingly fertile boss.

Nate's Grade: B

The Other Boleyn Girl - The story of Henry the Eighth and his many wives is a tale full of romance, danger, betrayal, and sweeping historical changes; it's the most popular soap opera of its age. The 700-page book was naturally going to get slimmed down as a feature film, and [i]The Other Boleyn Girl[/i] feels a bit too streamlined for all the heavy historical events that take place. The production values are all top-notch and the story has some juicy moments. It presents an intriguing angle by showcasing the conniving rivalry between the Boleyn sisters (Scarlett Johansson, Natalie Portman). The acting falls under that period film gravity where the actors all speak stately and enunciate every syllable slowly, like they were testing out the sound for the first time. Portman is especially fun in a villainous role. Eric Bana is completely at odds with history as Henry VIII, but I suppose it would be harder for modern audiences to accept young nubile ladies vying for the affection of a huge, ugly man with a leg of mutton in his grip.

Nate's Grade: B

Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay - I was a big fan of the first outing to White Castle, a crude stoner comedy that also happened to be clever in its outrageousness. The [i]Harold and Kumar[/i] sequel returns the same writers but what the hell happened? The first film separated itself from its class of juvenile jokesters because it had charm and wit, but this mediocre movie just stumbles from one uninspired comedic setup to another. The boys get mistaken for terrorists and then the movie becomes a ramshackle road trip through America. The gags are lame and easily telegraphed. Regrettably, many jokes are reheated from the first film, like Kumar's fantasies involving an anthropomorphic living bag of weed. The presence of the hysterically gifted Neil Patrick Harris gives the film a boost but even NPH cannot save these less-than-stellar shenanigans. The comic set pieces don't add up together into something greater, and the only scene worth remembering is when the boys smoke weed with President Bush. You know you're in bad shape when even the gratuitous nudity feels tacky and boring.

Nate's Grade: C

Semi-Pro - Will Ferrell should just retire doing sports movies.

Nate's Grade: C-[/color][/font]
Lewis C

February 29, 2008
I expected much more. Where are all the laughs?
Jose Z

February 25, 2008
Semi Pro's maybe not the best movie of Will Ferrell or even not in his top 5 but believe it or not it worked for me. Yeah it could be better directed and produced, it could be funnier or maybe being a basketball related movie on the 70's decade, they could invite some pro players of the era so it could be more realistic but I think that the movie couldn't give up for more. The movie has the typical Will Ferrell humor, with lots of physical comedy and sex jokes, not all the jokes and gags are funny but it has some moments like the one with the bear fight and when they're performing the halftime show that takes you off a real and sincere laugh. The cast is good, Will Ferrell funny as always although its not his best performance, Woody Harrelson is convincing enough but I just felt him a little forced, Maura Tierney was good but not great and Andre Benjamin as Clarence delivers a very good acting job. In conclusion, this movie only purpose is to entertain and I think he barely accomplishes it. So if you wanna see this movie turn off your brain, relax and enjoy.