Movies Like The September Issue

87% The Strain: Season 1
79% You're the Worst: Season 1

The September Issue Reviews

July 23, 2011
Intriguing and entertaining. insight and interest provided despite the documentary makers not promoting a particular perspective, but rather presenting Ann Winter as she is, which is very much as portrayed in "The Devil Wears Prada".
March 14, 2014
Absolutely loved this documentary! The interactions between Anna Wintour and Grace Coddington in it are to die for!
December 7, 2013
Extremely interesting peek into the NYC fashion industry.
August 28, 2009
"the jacket is the new coat" ..lesson learned.
July 22, 2013
An insightful lens on creativity and influence. Plus, seeing Wintour's humanity (albeit still coldly masked behind those big Chanel shades) is a treat.
April 19, 2013
Showcases the main drivers behind the fashion magazine, Vogue and its rather inaccessible tour de force: Anna Wintour as they work to produce the highly anticipated September issue. Those featured offer rare glimpses into the M.O. behind the production of the magazine, ranging from the fabulously hilarious André to the painstakingly committed creative director, Grace, (who also seems to be the only person able to stand up to Anna Wintour), all of whom somehow compliment one another symbiotically in a surreal world of slash and burn. Regardless, let there be no doubt that Wintour is the high priestess of the fashion world, the reason anything happens the way it does at Vogue, or at all.
Ben K.
January 8, 2013
Wintour sure is wintry. Wintour's long-time assistant and sometime punch-bag Grace Coddington comes out of it looking like the more humane individual, and she's hard as nails too.
January 1, 2013
This did what a movie should do, regardless of the documentary style - it took me into the world it was portraying and I was entertained.
Rai  MI
January 1, 2013
A well done documentary. It gives us a look behind the cover of Vogue magazine. It centers on the long-time editor, Anna Wintour, and her rite-hand-woman, Grace Coddington. Very little is revealed about their personal lives. Not surprisingly, we do have confirmed for us that the fashion world truly is a shallow and facile enterprise. Who knew??

Let me note that the movie, THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA, tries very hard to put a positive spin on the fashion industry. Although much money is involved; bottom line, this is lite-weight stuff.

Ms Wintour tellingly reveals that her siblings, who have more substantive occupations, don't think much their sisters chosen profession. Her teenage daughter is seen stating that she does not expect to work in the fashion industry after college. Her mother seems a little disappointed by her familys opinion of her lifes work.

Ms Coddingtion is given almost as much coverage as her editor. She is a former model. There are pictures of her in her younger, modeling days. She was very beautiful. Now she is not recognizable as the same woman. It is striking to note how studiedly Ms Coddington now wears no make-up; and wears plain, often black, shapeless, clothing. Her hair is a large, dry-looking mass. She apparently chooses to not care for her hair in even the most basic manner. She works as an executive for a fashion magazine; yet she makes a point of having a very plain personal appearance. That is very odd.

And that is about it. If you are interested in high fashion; this movie might be worth a look.
keygii
October 10, 2012
If you LOVE fashion as I do, you will really appricaite this movie. :)
November 10, 2012
I admire Cutler's documentation on the world that is Vogue magazine. It shows how the staffers at Vogue work and communicate with each other and making great ideas for the fashion spreads for the magazine. Though Anna Wintour was more bitchy but brilliant since she makes the final decision and it works well at the end.
November 3, 2012
If you've seen Devil Wears Prada and Ugly Betty than this film will feel like an after thought. Still good fun for those who like fashion or want to see the editorial archetype in real life.
October 5, 2012
Pretty interesting. Fashion really isn't my thing, though.
September 27, 2012
Fascinating not because of Wintour, but despite Wintour! Ultimately fascinating watching the power-play in the Vogue office, whilst loose canons like Coddington (one of my heroes) go about doing what they do despite her anyway. Divine to watch as it all comes together. But, focusing on the key-person involved (Wintour), Anna comes off as more human and more cold than you thought, both at once, which is fascinating in it's own right. It's hard not to feel compassionate for her as you get an insight into the fact that she is also flesh and bone, but you also get the sour taste of bitter coldness in your mouth more and more as you watch her at work. It's almost as though one starts to understand the chill about her more, and thus suddenly feel for her as a human being. What would I do in her shoes? God know, I don't think I will ever be. I'm too outspoken. And that says it all.
September 26, 2012
Fashion is surprisingly dull, especially with Wintour in the lead.
August 4, 2011
Great documentary for fashionistas.
August 8, 2012
Wonderful documentary that has changed my opinion in a lot of things. Rose ruls!!!
July 24, 2012
Doc 'bout Vogue magazine. Its fascinating how fashion can be fascinating.
Ana A.
July 20, 2012
Great documentary for the fashionistas! Even for those that just wonders how on of the most important magazines in fashion gets done.
June 3, 2012
Fab-U-Lous. Must see insiders look into the fashion industry.