Le Serpent (The Snake) Reviews

½ September 10, 2007
Almost brilliant in every way. This is a very well written storyline of conspiracy, framing, revenge, brought to life by two brilliant performances by Yvan Attal and Clovis Cornillac, the chemistry of which between the two was totally fascinating.

I am surprised that there hasn't been a Hollywood remake of this, not that it could be bettered, but it's the usual type of film that would be remade by Hollywood.

The best Thriller I've seen in a while.
August 31, 2008
French thriller that just don't get better than this.Murder,blackmail,bad guy and an innocent man.All sum up to what your going to get for 2 hrs.Very enjoyable and truly gripping from start to finish.
½ May 25, 2014
A very good Cat and Mouse thriller.
A former class-mate from school, a cowardly wimp then, has now grown up into a cold, calculating, tough-guy hell bent on revenge for an incident back in those schooldays. A spell in the Foreign Legion has made him a sharp, ruthless killing machine when he needs to be. As the plot continues it is difficult to see if and where his weakness is. Maybe it needs the mouse to start hunting the cat.
March 12, 2013
This is a very pulpy, violent thriller based on an English novel of the 1970s, Plender by Ted Lewis (he wrote the novel upon which Get Carter is based fact fans). This is a not wholly convincing thriller that nevertheless has some terffic set pieces - an escape from a police station, a car crash with a body in the trunk and police coming - that elevate it above the standard. The lead actor, Yvan Attal has a very haggard, beleagured look, and the villain of the piece, Clovis Cornillac's Plender is suitably creepy. It is an entertaining two hours, but at the end of the movie not quite distinct enough to become truly memorable.
June 5, 2012
Eric Barbier brings overtones of Hitchcock, Chabrol and Clouzot with this suspenseful 2006 thriller which displays itself as a fine example of a gripping man-on-the-run narrative, headlined with convincing performances from Yvan Attal and Clovis Cornillac as the victim and villain respectively.
July 25, 2011
Cracking thriller, with a truly nasty bad guy, I saw this at the cinema and my popcorn flew everywhere with one of the surprise shocks. Well worth a view and one film that I actually own on DVD. So good it's being re-made by an American studio.
½ June 12, 2011
Bastante buén triller con buenas actuaciones e historia interesante.
½ January 25, 2011
Just watched this on DVD, a fantastic thriller that kept me glued to the screen. You really gotta see this before the inevitable Hollywood remake ruins its magic.