Seven Beauties (Pasqualino Settebellezze) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Seven Beauties (Pasqualino Settebellezze) Reviews

½ February 25, 2010
What would you be willing to do to ensure your survival? Would you sacrifice your honor, your body, your soul? Would you murder? Is moral ambiguity permissable during times of war? The opening film footage of Hitler, Mussoulini, the Russian fronteir, and bombings juxtaposed against the narration of a litany of 'Oh Yeahs' provides a context for these questions. If you have prostiuted and murdered in order to live, is yours a life worth living? A brilliant and damning critique!
March 14, 2014
No doubt this was an inspiration for black comedies depicting the war in later decades. The two leads are absolutely hilarious in their mishaps in the midst of such a terrible conflict.
½ May 9, 2009
Though the film gets sort of laborious, I appreciated Seven Beauties for constantly taking risks. It's worth it to check the movie out.
January 20, 2016
This is the meaning of satire. Dry, subtle and over the top. Couldn't find a comedian today that could be more harsh and insulting than the criticism leveraged at white (namely Italian) machismo with this film.
July 6, 2011
One of the most heartbreaking films I have ever seen.A film that shows what the human spirit can endure and be broken because of it.
July 14, 2010
Nominated for five Oscars, "Seven Beauties" remains a singular example of women's cinema grappling with the tattered shreds of war to get at otherwise unspoken truths.
½ November 14, 2010
Bizarre italian film told in non-linear narrative, touching upon matters of Italian political fascism and enshrouded in a World War II Holocaust dilemma. The doofus lead character has diverse scenarios involving his sex life, and desire to continue in one piece. The plot and character have a lot of similarity to La Vita e Bella but this film reaches an audience with a more European rather than Hollywood taste in comedy and drama.
September 2, 2008
I can never decide which Lina Wertmuller feature is better, this or Swept Away. I think they are equally as great. Seven Beauties is certainly a cinematic wonder.
½ August 24, 2008
From initial black comedy, this gets darker and darker. Naples before the war seems an idyllic place, with views of a city by the sea from hillside homes and pavestoned alleys. I quite feel like visiting it, despite its garbage disposal problem. By the end of this film, you're convinced you've gone through quite an experience - "oh yeah" (see opening sequence video in my videos). Giancarlo Giannini does a star turn. Never knew a concentration camp sequence would have anything new left to say. Yes, we'll do anything to survive, but only sometimes is an erection..what stands between us and death. Can't say more.
June 9, 2008
one of the finest tragicomedies to come out of Italy. Lina Wertmuller's amazing, as is Giancarlo Giannini.
July 20, 2007
One of my all-time favorites; just watched it again yesterday for the umpteenth time. Set in Fascist Italy, it stars Giancarlo Giannini as Pasqualino, a greasy two-bit mafioso with seven ugly sisters -- which, for some reason, has earned him the nickname "Seven Beauties" -- and just the kind of empty-headed loser who is convinced he's cool. He's an adorably sleazy fool who believes he is God's gift to women and that he is feared by all because he carries a gun and walks through town with a ridiculous swagger. A staunch believer in family honor, he murders the pimp who has turned out one of his sisters, an act that leads him first to jail, then a mental institution, and finally a Nazi concentration camp, where he desperately tries to seduce the big fat ugly broad who runs the place. War, no respecter of honor, makes a whore of everyone. Dark, disturbing, and rather controversial upon release -- it was written and directed by a feisty little Italian woman whose outlook was anything but feminist -- it's one of the most politically incorrect war movies ever made.
June 25, 2007
Forget Roberto Benigni and 'Life is Beautiful'. Lina Wertmuller became one of my personal gods with this one!
April 26, 2016
grrr another lost review flixter!!!
January 20, 2016
September 20, 2015
I saw this in the mid-Seventies and it has been a favorite ever since. It held so much meaning for me at the time. I should watch it again. but I'm afraid to disturb the memory.
½ August 2, 2014
Um clássico do cinema italiano, que sobreviveu incólume
ao passar dos últimos 38 anos desde que o vi no Cinema Um de Santos.
Divertido, rude, sádico e cínico.
April 29, 2014
It was very controversial when it came out and NOBODY remembers it now. They should.