Pasqualino Settebellezze (Seven Beauties) Reviews

½ February 25, 2010
What would you be willing to do to ensure your survival? Would you sacrifice your honor, your body, your soul? Would you murder? Is moral ambiguity permissable during times of war? The opening film footage of Hitler, Mussoulini, the Russian fronteir, and bombings juxtaposed against the narration of a litany of 'Oh Yeahs' provides a context for these questions. If you have prostiuted and murdered in order to live, is yours a life worth living? A brilliant and damning critique!
March 14, 2014
No doubt this was an inspiration for black comedies depicting the war in later decades. The two leads are absolutely hilarious in their mishaps in the midst of such a terrible conflict.
½ May 9, 2009
Though the film gets sort of laborious, I appreciated Seven Beauties for constantly taking risks. It's worth it to check the movie out.
July 6, 2011
One of the most heartbreaking films I have ever seen.A film that shows what the human spirit can endure and be broken because of it.
½ November 14, 2010
Bizarre italian film told in non-linear narrative, touching upon matters of Italian political fascism and enshrouded in a World War II Holocaust dilemma. The doofus lead character has diverse scenarios involving his sex life, and desire to continue in one piece. The plot and character have a lot of similarity to La Vita e Bella but this film reaches an audience with a more European rather than Hollywood taste in comedy and drama.
June 25, 2007
Forget Roberto Benigni and 'Life is Beautiful'. Lina Wertmuller became one of my personal gods with this one!
½ August 2, 2014
Um clássico do cinema italiano, que sobreviveu incólume
ao passar dos últimos 38 anos desde que o vi no Cinema Um de Santos.
Divertido, rude, sádico e cínico.
April 29, 2014
It was very controversial when it came out and NOBODY remembers it now. They should.
October 5, 2013
One of the greatest movies of all time. A great comedy / drama about one man's fight to survive through sheer cowardice, luck, stupidity and perspicacity through WW2. Simply fantastic... at moments hilarious, heart rending but always on a perfect note, featuring one of the greatest film actors of all time Giancarlo Giannini in one of the greatest film performances of all time. A rare treasure! If you find this flick you must watch! Bravissimo.
½ November 10, 2013
Wonderful movie in which an army deserter Frafuso (Giancarlo Giannini) gets lost with another army deserter (Piero de Orio) and tells how became to such a state. Frafuso was disgusted with his sister (Elena Fiore) who becomes a stripper and states to her that she had essentially dishonoured his family. However, she upgrades in terms if dishonouring the family when she becomes a prostitute for her man (Mario Conti). Frafuso loathes this ideas and murders her man in the process, leading him to prosecution for murder and imprisonment, under a grossly, unpleasant looking drill sergeant (Shirley Stoller). This eventually puts him into the army and brings him to his state of desertion with the other man. It's a very compelling movie, in the way that it is told (going between present times and past times) and the thorough character study on Frafuso. It is pretty oppressive to women though and at times pretty ugly, but also, at times, surprisingly funny. Actor Fernando Rey does not a have substantial part, because the only I recall seeing him was near the end of the movie as a "nut" and as usual, he is good. Another fine film from Italy!
July 14, 2010
Nominated for five Oscars, "Seven Beauties" remains a singular example of women's cinema grappling with the tattered shreds of war to get at otherwise unspoken truths.
½ December 5, 2011
This is one of the great satires and perhaps Wertmuller's best piece.She attacks war, politics, and especially men (the only honorable man in this film literally drowns in a community toilet). Then there is Giannini's Pasqualino, a bumbling criminal and con man who, through the problems he encounters by way of his own actions, comes to learn what humanity truly is.
May 14, 2011
Amazing tragicomedy about World War II. Not easy to watch, but extremely well-acted!
March 20, 2011
Lina Wertmuller(Swept Away) explores the fascinating and the inexplicable that some will find troubling. Giancarlo Giannini plays Pasqualino Frafusco, a crude man who uses his power over women and his wits to survive. Pasqualino murders his sister's pimp, thrown into a mental institution and then is put into a concentration camp. His need for self-preservation leads him to make some awful,ghastly and bizarre decisions,

This is the blackest of comedies that is so unique that even decades after its original release this movie still has little to compare it to. I don't plan to give anything more away, but Gianinni gives a fantastic performance. Wertmuller is fast becoming one of my favorite directors of all time. I will be rewatching this.
½ February 27, 2011
Well... that's quite something. Very original, very distinct... I don't know if I took to it altogether, but Giannini is absolutely fantastic. And it's not often that you see a story about such a resilient coward. There are a few real bravura moments, and I think for the most part I like Wertmüller's style, however dated it might be. Not quite the film I was expecting, to say the least. Quite hilarious in parts, truth be told.
December 18, 2010