Seven Faces of Dr. Lao Reviews

½ February 17, 2010
Part western, part fantasy, this is the story of a strange Chinese man, played by Tony Randall, who drops in on a small town with his odd little "Circus of Dr. Lao". Arthur O'Connell plays a money-grubbing bastard who wants everyone to sell him their property so he can benefit from a railroad coming near town that only he knows about. There's also a budding romance between widow Barbara Eden and the new newspaper man in town, While the appearance of Dr. Lao seems coincidental, he and his circus help to resolve these issues.

Director/animator George Pal held the reins here, and it had a bit of a Harryhausen feel to some of the animated sequences. While all the cast is satisfactory, Tony Randall really impressed me with his performance...or should I say performances? All the characters in the circus -- a fortune teller, a talking serpent, Medusa, a Yeti -- are played by Randall. I'm curioius as to why he ended up playing fey mincing types or whiny Casper Milquetoasts when he was apparently capable of so much more. A nice film for the family on a snowy afternoon.
May 30, 2010
In the most remarkable role and performance of his career, Tony Randall stars in this delightful fable about a mysterious Chinese doctor and magical proprietor of a circus that comes to a dusty Arizona town and generates a wave of good happenings. Dr. Lao assumes different guises in order to teach his message of pride and self-reliance to the townsfolk. Fine supporting performances by Barbara Eden, Arthur O' Connell and John Ericson. But it's Randall's virtuoso turn where he plays all six roles as Dr. Lao, Merin, Pan, The Abominable Snowman, Medusa, Apollonius of Tyana with the aid of elaborate make-up that won a special Oscar for Outstanding Makeup Achievement that is the heart of the wonderous film. One of my favorite childhood films a total joy. Highly Recommended.
½ April 28, 2011
This movie is so memorable. rom the first time I saw it, i never forot it. Tony Randall plays an oriental man that changes his entire costume and facial to look like 7 different people, little bit of a magic movie. Really cute and fun movie.
January 14, 2010
Imaginative special effects, great make-up, especially for when it was made. The story is decent, but not up to par with the technical aspect of the film. Tony Randall is terrific. Good supporting cast.
August 23, 2008
Quite the strange one. The make-up effects were better than modern days' Eddie Murphy quality. My complaint with this was the message. It was a little too preachy and not quite subtle enough for my tastes. And the mood shifts from wacky, to sad, to emotionally deep. Very strange movie.
½ March 21, 2008
Fantastic fantasy film...a one-man show by Tony Randall! There's humor, camp, and sadness (the scenes with Merlin and Appolonius are especially poignant)...an excellent film!
October 21, 2007
I found this movie very similar to "Something wicked this way comes" but with more humor.
Amazing job on the makeup for the time. And Tony Randall was amazing at playing different rolls in the movie. And as always Barbara Eden looked really good.
September 11, 2007
Barbara Eden was very glad to appear in this film it open doors for the movie Brass Bottle it is about a geni but Barbara play Tony Randall's girlfriend then it lead to her own series I Dream of Jeanie.

This is movie fantasy about Tony playing & different characters who bring a magical circus to a town who is in danger by being sold out to the railroad.
July 17, 2007
One of the 10 strangest movies I've ever seen. Worth a viewing if you're a true-blue sci-fi fantasy buff or just like Tony Randall.
½ May 22, 2007
The best bad movie of all time. Tony Randall is a Zen Master, and Barbara Eden was kicking herself ever after making this one!
½ April 15, 2007
Tony Randall (1964) plays all seven faces. Clever, interesting, fun and some good lessons. The special effects are excellent for 1964; the story is good for any time... a blend of Greek myth and Chinese mysticism in an old west travelling circus. Sound weird? Not more than finding a world at the back of a wardrobe, and not less interesting.
½ March 31, 2007
Very strange but entertaining--Tony Randall plays 7 different characters. On my "Pretty Ridiculous, But I Still Like 'Em" list.
January 29, 2007
A work of art. Using the latest technology available at the time (1964) this movie touches on a lot of mythology and fatantastical creatures ie. centaur, Medusa. One of my favorites!
½ November 20, 2006
The book is less sentimental. Tony Randall plays several different parts. I am very fond of this movie.
July 17, 2013
I was fascinated by this movie when I first watched it in grade school. It still holds my interest nearly 45 years later. Great role for Tony Randall.
½ April 3, 2013
Brilliant conception - brilliant execution.
December 21, 2012
This is by no definition a good movie. 100% with five reviews means just as much as 5% with 100 reviews.
June 10, 2012
"Seven Faces of Dr. Lao" is a very old-school brand of film, but it's the sort of film we need in this day and age. Hopeful instead of cynical, and full to the brim with fun and fantasy, the movie is a celebration of magic and life in general.
September 9, 2012
Wow what a film! I mean Tony Randall playing 7 roles so perfectly you don't know its him! AWESOME AWESOME. For 18 years this film has escaped my grasp so glad I saw it
August 22, 2012
one of my childood favorites