• Directed By:
    Martin McDonagh
    In Theaters:
    Oct 12, 2012 Limited
    On DVD:
    Jan 29, 2013
  • CBS Films

Not funny

I loved In Bruges, but S. P. is a dud. I should've taken as a bad sign that Richard Roeper loved it. I had no problem with the 'metatext' aspect of the movie and all that -- the problem with this movie is that the dialogue just isn't funny, which is shocking considering the guy who wrote it. Sam Rockwell -- he does his damndest to save the film, but there was only so much he could do. Farrell and Walken were just okay; Woody Harrelson sucked as usual. In short, this movie is a gigantic disappointment.
John Drinkwater
11-9-2012 05:19 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

I didn't get this movie either.

Nov 1 - 12:31 PM

Dalton Anderson

Dalton Anderson

Excuse me guys,I thought this movie was great, but i understand that some you didn't like it and i'm fine with that. I'm not going to complain and whine about you guys. who i am going to complain and whine about are these buttholes who have the indecency to watch the beginning or the middle, stop, and trash the comments. If you want to have an opinion at all, I suggest you go watch the movie first and then talk about how you hated it. For example, just last night i watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and I thought it was the most boring movie ever made, but i still kept watching and what do you know, the movie picked up! All i'm saying is if you just watched the beginning, go watch the whole movie. You may change your mind, you may not. And that's okay. You can be proud that you're not one of the idiots who litter the comments with curses for no apparent reason.

Aug 31 - 06:31 PM

Kit

Kit Howlett

The dialogue borders on genius at times, and you should be blinded & deafened for saying that about Woody Harrelson (note to anyone lame, those are not threats, nor serious suggestions, merely hyperbole)

Walken is awesome, as ever, Farrell plays his part well, Rockwell was great fun, I find it hard to fault this film and confess i am surprised at how many people have bad things to say about it. I have watched an inordinate amount of films, this is one of the funniest I have seen in a long time. It is clear, reading this initial post, and many of the subsequent comments, that a shockingly high number of people are not paying attention when they think they are, or are a wee bit thick.

Aug 15 - 02:24 PM

Remer Mandrake S.

Remer Mandrake Strangelove

MAY THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPEL YOU ++++

Aug 5 - 06:44 PM

Marco Chaudry

Marco Chaudry

The fuck you mean Woody Harrelson sucked as usual? \: |

Jul 1 - 06:24 AM

Nick Inzalaco

Nick Inzalaco

I can count on one hand how many movies I wasn't able to finish, and this was one of them. Disappointing, considering I had big hopes for it. It was like the screenwriter came off a coke high, and the actors all agreed that they had some free time that month to shoot some scenes and get a little spending money.

Jun 22 - 09:06 PM

Opi N.

Opi Nadisima

Definetely this movie is not for stupid people with no sense of intelligent humor

Apr 20 - 10:37 PM

Ben Thompson

Ben Thompson

I loved both In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths. I always felt a sense of realism to Martin McDonagh's films, especially in In Bruges, and though both of these incredible films had bleak endings, I was still really satisfied and thoroughly entertained.

Mar 27 - 10:02 PM

Linda Richards

Linda Richards

This movie sucked big time, we couldn't finish it.

Mar 25 - 06:12 AM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

Fuck the Yankees

Jul 18 - 09:17 PM

James BradShaw

James BradShaw

yeah fuck you mandy

Sep 16 - 09:18 AM

Corné B.

Corné Botha

Why did the critics love it mostly ,82 % rating ?

Mar 19 - 08:47 AM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

retarded cunt

Mar 16 - 04:22 PM

James BradShaw

James BradShaw

yeah retarded stump

Sep 16 - 09:19 AM

Cathren Page

Cathren Page

It had some funny moments, some clever moments, and some thought provoking moments. . . but it felt too scattered to me. I'm also still not sure what the take-away is supposed to be regarding the meta-misogeny. I find that hard to watch even if it's satirical. Finally, humor is in the eye of the beholder. I grinned a few times, but I was not laughing hysterically.

Mar 8 - 06:57 PM

Joel Perez

Joel Perez

To the makers of the movie:
Entertaining but,instead of having the characters read the movie to us,you write it and have them act it out.Its not cute or original,its lazy and an insult.The best part of the movie doesnt even happen.

Mar 4 - 09:48 AM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

The filmmakers are never going to read that and they wouldn't care anyway.

Mar 29 - 06:28 PM

Lord Tutweiller

Lord Diego John Tutweiller of Trolldonia

WOAH--- What caught MY eye was "Woody Harrelson sucked as usual". That is NOT legal.

Mar 1 - 09:23 PM

Dylan  J.

Dylan Jones

Seriously, Woody Harrelson kicks ass.

Mar 7 - 01:29 PM

James BradShaw

James BradShaw

woody harrelson drinks cans

Sep 16 - 09:20 AM

Dom Cobb

Dom Cobb

Woody Harrelson is awesome, but I really didn't like the movie at all.

Oct 6 - 04:56 AM

Play D.

Play Doh

My eyes deserve and apology from my ears and vice-versa.

Mar 1 - 07:15 PM

Wanda Sims

Wanda Sims

My daughter and I should have just stuck with being happy to watch the trailer and left it at that. We were all excited before we saw the whole movie, should have turned it off right away.

Mar 1 - 10:35 AM

Nick Fury

Nick Fury

The fact that this has a higher score than similar but infinitely better movies like The Big Lebowski and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World makes me ANGRY.

Feb 27 - 12:30 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

this is a amazing movie, it was just not what the trailer made it out to be

Feb 24 - 01:17 PM

Lorraine Wright

Lorraine Wright

Worst movie ever...couldn't watch it for more than 15 minutes and just quit in the middle. Who knew Walkin's could be in such a bad movie.

Feb 18 - 06:56 AM

David Tanny

Big Fat Jewish Guy

So this film is a half hour long?

Feb 27 - 10:38 PM

James BradShaw

James BradShaw

no but six shooter is

Sep 16 - 09:22 AM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

fucktard

Apr 3 - 03:46 PM

Hunter Eitel

Hunter Eitel

The thing is, the first half of the movie is overwhelmingly dark, and not very funny except for a few lines of dialogue. The next half had more funny moments, a lot more, in fact. But still was overshadowed by the dark and bloody violence.

Feb 14 - 05:31 PM

Chuck Angelopulos

Chuck Angelopulos

Another sign of the "dumbing down of America. "Seven Psychopaths" received the highest reviews from reputable critics along with"Argo". Yet movies like "Twilight Saga" and " Looper " got dog shit reviews from the experts. So, how do you explain the fact that both of these movies (Twi & Loop) overwhelmingly out grossed($$) 7 Psychopaths? Obviously I thoroughly enjoyed 7-Psychos!

Feb 10 - 04:04 PM

Sean P.

Sean Patrick

I don't know what you mean when you say that Looper got 'dog sh*t' reviews. I thought it was 90%+ On a separate note, this film was incredible. It's extremely clever and it's a movie that one must watch actively. It's not the funniest film in the world, though it has its moments. Sam Rockwell is definitely the best actor in the film, but, that notwithstanding, I found the film to be in my top five for all of last year.

Mar 26 - 06:34 AM

Fester

Fester Smith

This movie was so poorly done that I couldn't even finish watching it. The director should find a new line of work, maybe cleaning restrooms in the park.

Feb 9 - 03:31 PM

Mark Cotter

Mark Cotter

I absolutely agree!

Feb 7 - 09:14 AM

Madeleine Burnside

Madeleine Burnside

Just not funny. The fact that evil guys stumble or act stupidly is not innately hilarious to me--asking to go back to five so that the dog didn't get shot? Funny? How about just unlikely and stupid. Christopher Walken was good--that's about it. Hated it and resented waiting for an interesting ending--instead it just got more predictable and dull. A time-suck.

Feb 3 - 08:50 PM

Sean P.

Sean Patrick

It was supposed to be predictable. In the first half of the movie, they tell you how the second half is going to play out ("In my movie, the main characters would just go out into the middle of the desert and talk for the rest of the film." "A graveyard would be a perfect place for a shootout."). It just requires an active and intelligent viewer to understand what's going on. There's a lot more going on than just what's happening on screen. The evil guys, if you actually watched it, don't stumble around stupidly. In fact, they mostly get the better of the 'good' guys. I'd go back and finish it before you comment on it...

Mar 26 - 06:37 AM

Babadook Nyland

Babadook Nyland

Yeah, my biggest problem with the movie was the dialogue. And it's a shame too because I would have enjoyed a lot more if it was well written. I didn't hate it, though. I was certainly entertained.

Feb 2 - 01:40 PM

rodycaz

Rodycaz V

I also hated Sam Rockwell in this film, he tried too hard to be crazy, it was so over-the-top it wasn't even funny or convincing. I agree about Farrell and Walken, nothing special, and yes Woody Harrelson did sucked. Even the acting was lame in this unfunny piece of shit.

Jan 31 - 01:31 PM

rodycaz

Rodycaz V

I agree with you, this movie was disappointing. I loved In Bruges and I was expecting something in that same style, but this messy, unfunny piece of crap tries too hard to be intelligent when it actually relies more on stupid humour. Not funny, not clever, not good.

Jan 31 - 01:22 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

i bet you get your humor from transformers.

Jan 27 - 11:27 AM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

That doesn't even make sense. Why does everyone who doesn't like a popular movie have to be labeled as a Transformers fan?

Mar 29 - 06:29 PM

Maddy Dalrymple

Maddy Dalrymple

First movie I havent finished in a long time. I really wanted to like this movie but it was downright boring.

Jan 22 - 09:46 AM

Taghi Chahid

Taghi Chahid

There was the semblance of something new and fresh during the first hour, since they hit the desert I couldn't manage but to fall asleep, woke for a moment during the graveyard shootout but it wasn't enough to save the movie for me. No more Mc Donagh for me !

Jan 21 - 02:53 AM

Don Flemmingston

Don Flemmingston

Loved it!!!

Jan 17 - 01:22 PM

Karyn Boscariol

Karyn Boscariol

A film written for idiots, by idiots.

Jan 8 - 07:00 AM

Efrain S.

Efrain Sanchez

You can dislike it all you wan't just don't be a fucking stupid cunt about it by insulting people who like it.

Jan 8 - 09:59 PM

Anne Maria

Anne Maria

what a loser. go watch twilight karyn

Jan 10 - 11:09 AM

Paul P.

Paul Perspectoff

I agree. This movie looks like it was written by drunk (or high) college kids for other drunk (or high) college kids. Totally dull and had the feel of 2nd rate struggling screenwriter material.

Feb 1 - 07:22 PM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

fuckhole

Mar 16 - 04:21 PM

Smell Free

Smell Free

lol

Mar 24 - 05:00 PM

James BradShaw

James BradShaw

havnt seen it but im looking forward to seeing it i think john drinkwater is drinking too much of his own urine harold woodyson is the king and you know it you should also check out his short movie six shooter and his brothers the guard.

Dec 21 - 08:12 AM

Jeremy F.

Jeremy Foster

Really? I think In Bruges is overrated. This movie snapped the 4 year streak of non funny comedies as far as I'm concerned. With Step Brothers being the last funny comedy before this. This was the best time I had in the theaters all year,easily. Sam Rockwell,who is severely underrated,made the movie. Everyone else was great too. Not since the 90s have we had an overly violent movie with witty and hilarious dialog. Long overdue.

Dec 17 - 02:35 PM

Efrain S.

Efrain Sanchez

Overrated?!? How the hell can an indie movie be overrated?

Jan 8 - 10:02 PM

Paul Napier

Paul Napier

it just can.

Jan 29 - 08:11 AM

David Tanny

Big Fat Jewish Guy

Great reasoning there. Wow. You schooled him.

Feb 27 - 10:41 PM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

I don't get why it couldn't be

Mar 29 - 06:31 PM

James BradShaw

James BradShaw

he schooled me

Sep 16 - 09:26 AM

Pattrick Smellie

Pattrick Smellie

Yep. Agree. Whats all this in bruges love? Preferred seven osychopaths

Feb 22 - 11:29 PM

David Tanny

Big Fat Jewish Guy

Honestly, I preferred the somber mood of In Bruges, also loved the score and Brendan Gleeson is one of my favorite actors. He delivers a great performance. But Seven Psychopaths was an excellent follow-up. Looking forward to what Martin McDonagh has for us next.

Feb 27 - 10:56 PM

danpinchemain1

Dan Pinchemain

i loved it

Dec 6 - 01:08 PM

Karen Maas

Karen Maas

Me and my Husband didn't think one thing was Funny it Sucked Sucked , i couldn't wait till the movie was over .save your money

Nov 25 - 06:24 AM

Jiminy C.

Jiminy Cricket

The plot parallels real life. A few friends sitting around drinking and trying to write a stupid script. Juvenile, moronic, and predictable (if you remember being that age). The performance of Christopher Walken is the only thing worthwhile in the movie, and it is inspired (as always), although by the end of the movie I also appreciated Sam Rockwell's performance. Colin Farrell, with an faux-irish accent that comes and goes, was particularly irritating. At the end I felt I wasted an hour and a half of my life.

Feb 2 - 10:07 AM

Julie Larios

Julie Larios

Farrell was born in Dublin, Ireland - so what are you saying about his "faux" Irish accent. The "faux" would have to be his American accent. But I thought he did a great job in this film, playing opposite some real scene-stealers, and that's not easy. Walken was brilliant - having such fun as he delivered his line, you can see that in his face. I don't know what people want from a movie if they don't think this was both hilarious and thought-provoking.

Feb 3 - 05:12 PM

Garrett Abbey

Garrett Abbey

The whole purpose of this movie was to troll American action movies, in a much funnier way than, say, The Expendables. I feel it succeeded immensely, and I was drawn from start to finish. And to say Colin Farrell had a fake accent is hilarious. It was nice he didn't have to fake an American accent for once. Great movie.

Mar 19 - 05:24 AM

Find us on:                 
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile