Sex and Lucia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sex and Lucia Reviews

½ January 31, 2008
Tortured artists, sex, and convenient intersections of people. It's elementary storytelling, but at the end of this movie, you can't help but get caught up in the moment. The worst aspects about this movie is that Lucia is not only a one-dimensional character, but also that she becomes a supporting player in her own movie.
½ February 22, 2012
Impeccable visuals that almost makes you forget its narrative shortcomings.
½ March 31, 2015
I love Spanish films for their intricate, interconnected web-like plot lines that are larger than life. This film was no exception to this trademark indulgence. I was more captivated by the story than the sex, and I think it would have been an even better film without the lustful scenes. However, in all fairness, the title didn't hide the raunchy content of the film, so it came at no surprise. Also, the filming was at times too fantastical for my taste. I'm not sure if I would watch it again, simply because it was a lot to absorb, but it definitely captivated me for the 2 hours that it ran.
½ August 19, 2014
Despite the sometimes overwhelming amount of nudity, Sex and Lucia turns outs to be a surprisingly surreal and poignant film. It's almost a melodrama, but the film's cerebral attitude and emotional complexity keep it from becoming alienating. The film shows us the relationship between waitress Lucia and her writer boyfriend, who fall in love while his writing begins to merge into his life, with tragic consequences. Afterwards Lucia retreats to an island that her boyfriend wrote about, where she meets other characters taking emotional refuge in this island paradise. The plot is actually so complex that it's difficult to summarize it completely. It's the surrealness and complexity that prevents Sex and Lucia from seeming like a soap opera. This island, where all the characters meet up, I interpreted as a metaphysical green world where fantasy and reality merge into one. This is an interpretation open to debate but I think this furthered the depth of the film. Sex and Lucia attempts portray issues of love and sex, fantasy and reality, not always perfectly, but with often with real power. The film is unfortunately sometimes too vague and weird for it's own good which often lessens it's message. And while I have absolutely no moral objections to sex and nudity in film, I do have to acknowledge that Sex and Lucia has way to many sex scenes. This is to the extent that the film occasionally confuses sex and actual romance, both of which I like, but are still two very different things. Fortunately one of the film's biggest strengths is the outstanding performances by it's leads, paticuarly Paz Vega. They are all able to work through the more alienating parts of the film and keep us engaged in what's going on screen. Sex and Lucia is a very flawed masterpiece that, while not for everyone is always absorbing and never less than beautiful.
½ August 1, 2014
½ July 8, 2014
a interesting and well filmed movie. It may not be for everyone because of some intense sex scenes but if you can look past that id recommend it because its a good story.
½ May 3, 2014
one word for the movie. COMPELLING. though eroticism does construesthe major theme of the story which allows the plot to become even more riveting, but then beneath those eroticism lies a striking idea in itself. Medem wanted to confuse the audience and churn their brains which he successfully does. The high point of the movie is Vega who certainly makes you go weak in your knees. Dont watch it if you are expecting a erotic fest, it wont do any justice neither to you nor the movie.
September 28, 2013
An exercise in acquired taste, the movie is an exceptionally shot piece of art with Paz Vega eclipsing the domains of beauty. Though tad challenging at times and a probable disturbing watch for those who don't like sex in movies, it touches human complexity and obsession at a different level. Picturesque.
½ December 1, 2013
Creates too much of a mysterious web around making of the story.. However, European style of dealing with sexuality remains a strong element, and very artistic too..
½ September 5, 2013
Lucia y el sexo, known as Sex and Lucia in English speaking countries is a film I only discovered after being aware of Paz Vega's strong work in Spanglish.

Lucia y el sexo turned out to have been a more complex film than I could have imagined, and it was too complicated for its own good at times. I found myself confused because the story flips back and fourth between a real life story and a fictional one written by the character Lorenzo, and its easy to lose track of what is real and what isn't, and so the way Lucia y el sexo tells its story is substandard. It's ambitious, but flawed and complex, particularly when you're watching it in another language since you have to read into it without completely understanding the cultural context of the emotions. Essentially, Lucia y el sexo is overly scattershot, and focuses more on Lorenzo than the titular Lucia, even though Lucia seems more interesting and had more depth as a character.

But aside from the complex plot structure and inconsistencies, Lucia y el sexo is a striking film.
Visually, Lucia y el sexo is unforgettable. It's complex and surreal visual style make it a hit across the head for viewers and leaves them mesmerised and asking questions by the end, and it's script encourages that. It's one of the most artistically crafted Spanish films I've seen to date.
It's thoroughly stylish with its fine cinematography, tactical editing and immersive lighting which gives it a powerfully surreal and erotic or dramatic atmosphere, depending on the situation. Either way, Julio Medem really has a grip on the story and the admired themes it faces, particularly his handling of the erotic themes and artistic depiction of all the onscreen nudity.
But it works because the cast truly shines.
Paz Vega is utterly perfect for the lead role, as she is perfectly sexy with immaculately desirable body language yet also a sense of unfathomed innocence on her, physically and mentally. This prevents audiences from looking at the titular Lucia as a mere sex object, as she uses her body to convey humane insight. This is a difficult talent for an actor, but Paz Vega shows off her ability to work it finely with or without her clothes on. Lucia y el sexo features some of her finest work. She stands up from the cast and utterly steals the screen.
Tristan Ulloa also grips the story drama with his performance, one rich with tenacity he uses to grip his character and ensure that audiences understand him as well as, if not more than he understands himself.
Najwa Nimri is also good.

So in the end, Lucia y el sexo's strong performances and artistic style ensures it transcends the complex plot.
½ August 27, 2013
It maintains the intrigue in a not-so-simple tale of loss. I could watch it a third time.
August 5, 2013
A very complex and deep story that encourages more than one viewing.
August 1, 2013
A very beautiful movie!!!It was passionate and erotic.I loved how the director made it to be a type of confusing storyline and it made it very unique and made you have to really think about what was going on. The sex scenes were beautiful and sweet.mazing movie!
½ June 15, 2013
A romantic drama that starts off as a rather straight story but becomes something else entirely as the reality starts to collapse into world of fiction. I watched the R-rated version absent of the explicit material, but loved the movie regardless for its beautiful cinematography and a story that keeps you guessing even after the ending credits roll.
½ May 28, 2013
Not an easy film to follow and not one that you can watch half halfheartedly. It takes some piecing together but a very good storyline that all comes together. I very much enjoyed this movie and it is a little bit off main stream with sub titles, so not to everyone's tastes. Lots of sex scenes so don't watch if easily offended.
½ March 4, 2013
Sweet and tender with a seaside wishy washy feeling. Sexual and exciting. Paz vega is adorable.
August 24, 2011
I watched this last summer 10 years to the day of it's premiere. Now that's not important I imagine.
What is important is how I loved the descend into this film (into it's madness). At one point the protagonist (a writer) writes a loophole to bail them (us) out. An exit from madness. A retreat to cushy confines of logic. I took it.
But.
I liked the safe ride and now I'm hooked. And that's only fair- isn't it?
½ September 16, 2007
When you put sex in a movie, it shouldn't be gratuitous!!! And of course, a good spanish story!!
ElCochran90
½ November 25, 2011
An entirely bewildering piece of cinematic art. Medem explores the underestimated block of the writer's mind and lets us aboard a high-speed subway of sexual perdition, redemption, forgiveness and the liberation of the flesh, elements that beautifully become mere colors in the artist's palette. Once again, opportunity cost is the core of experimentation, while the sun burns, while the wind blows, while the sea roars... Simply sublime.

I had never seen sex portrayed with such artistry.

96/100