Sex and the City Reviews

May 31, 2008
The girls are back together 4 years after the TV series. There's lots of drama - wedding, affair, baby. Lots of fab shoes and clothes. Makes you appreciate your loved ones and friends. Even if you haven't seen the TV series it is still a great movie about love, labels and friendships. Good cast and plot. I'd marry Big for that closet! Charlotte is my favourite character and her daughter Lily is adorable.
½ February 22, 2011
Before talking about the film itself, some understanding of the HBO series is required. There is not a hope in hell that this film could stand on its own. When the TV show was good, it was as good as anything on TV, but when it was bad, it was as bad as anything.

In the good, I classify the moments that made me think, and in the series' early years, I thought a lot. But as the series wound down its sixth and final season, it had changed. It had gone from the story of four relationship anti-heroes to a soap opera. Charlotte ran out of storyline after Season 3, when she left Trey and married Harry. The will-they-or-won't-they Carrie-and-Big story wore out well before the series ended. Even sexaholic Samantha settled down in the end, surviving a brush with breast cancer and moving in with her boy toy. The only storyline that was still compelling, in the end, was Miranda and Steve, in my opinion, because it was the most honest. It kind of stole the series away from now-Executive Producer Carrie Bradshaw... I mean, Sarah Jessica Parker...

So, what's left in the movie? Obviously, wedding bells for Carrie and Big. Charlotte and Harry have given up on conceiving, but there might be a surprise in the works; Steve breaches Miranda's trust and puts their marriage on the rocks; and Samantha is exiled to California with her lover Smith Jerrod, whose acting career is taking off.

Other than the Miranda-and-Steve storyline, the film gives fans more of the same sap from the final seasons, with none of the spunk the early episodes provided. At a butt-numbing two-and-a-half hours long, you'd expect more than Charlotte's dilemma of whether or not to run while she's pregnant... or yet another commitment-phobic Carrie and Big meltdown... or several minutes of shrieking hellos each of the many times Samantha returns to New York...

Broken into half-hours, you could consider the film a short-season story arc, like five bonus episodes; as a feature film, however, it's hard to get through in one sitting. It effectively closes the loop on the story that came to dominate the series, but with that focus, the richness of the gals' contrasting sex lives is completely lost.

Then again, as one mega-fan interviewed before the premiere of the reportedly worse second SatC film put it, "Of course I'm happy. I get to see all my friends again!" My girlfriend maintains that films like this shouldn't even be reviiewed, because they aren't meant to be treated as equals. They're cash-ins for the fans to get excited about, and watch communally, critics be damned. To a point, I agree... but if you're paying the same price to see this as you would any other movie, it should be as good as what you would've spent the money on instead. It's not. A shorter, less-indulgent film would've been better, but Sex and the City wasn't talking to the average moviegoer. This film is strictly for the fans.
November 16, 2011
Not sure a movie was needed but it's cool to see all the glamour on the big screen. I think it's just a little too long for a chick-flick.
½ May 28, 2008
Not a bad light entertainment for fans of the show, but what's the point if just about every episode in the series is better and WAY shorter?
January 5, 2009
there're several irrealistic points in this movie, and i'd bring up my perception of what real life should be:

i'm a 27-year-old, if i give up the lifestyle in my cozy hometown and make it to new york...i would be looking for MONEY! not love.

and if my husband-to-be suddenly chickens out before the wedding but regrets immediately and still wants to marry me when he sees the sight of me before the ceremony, i'd still marry him...imagine all those people get arround in a big place, all those invitations, and your parents, friends and relatives..hundreds of people make ways to join your ceremony..what a scene!...what a responsibility....and the traumatic embarrassments you have to deal with could anyone just decide not to get married in a circumstance like that? it's remained incomprehesible to me. if the man is really not the one, i'll probably divorce least, half one year later..or make it a year. so it's much less attention-grappling....even i would think of practical things like that. why not a socialite in matured age? and the man in this case is a middle-aged businessman, how come he would suffer from frights like a high-school boy who just learns his girlfriend gets pregnant? it puzzles me.

and also, i was surprised about carrie's reading choices...she's a writer, ok, a columnist, how could you be if you didn't even read "wuthering heights" in high-school or college? isn't it a bit too late for you to start it off when you're, let's say, 38? and you're a "professional" writer? she talks about that book like an adolescent girl who yearns for love...with all those phenomenal affairs you have had for at least 20 years, haven't you learned to grow just a little bit? i truly cannot truly believe anyone in that age could still operate like that... i always pay attention to what people read because it's an indication of your inward sophistication which cannot be fooled by the clothes you wear or the cosmetics you put on your face.

i suppose, i have less to bitch about it than its sequel. yeah, they're irrealistic, at least, the clothes look really nice, particularly the wedding dresses. this one is just narcissistic, but at least, not that obnoxiously narcissistic. (there's still a difference!)

even personally, i never believe in sisterhood, and my experices of life tell me that women are all mean to each other. friends to me are usually the ones who laugh when you fall down on ground, those who rejoice at your misfortune...(perhaps just my part of life...maybe i just have had it much rougher than those who praise sisterhood) you just live with all those craps then carry on alone to struggle for survival. (spiritual survival)..

i guess this movie tries to be a love-song for new-york, its cosmopolitan image with multiculturalism and sexual has good-intention even it's still inevitably counterfeit..i suppose the reason why its sequel sucks because it carries away from new-york landscape. how could sex and the city be sex and the city without new york? even that new york they praise is merely a phony utopia which celebrates egoism, consummerism and promiscuity.
January 20, 2011
When I saw this flixster page on the first time, I wonder "How come does these critics did not like this movie?" Actually folks, it is a very surprising-unbelievably-good movie! Even if I rarely watch SATC TV series, I believe this one was worth watching, especially for the girls. You can find almost anything in this movie. Sad, laughter, love,fashion, boys, friendship...Fabulous casts that are very familiar to SATC fans -- Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Cattrall, Kristin Davis and Cynthia Nixon makes adorable friendship between the four.
December 13, 2008
I think everybody got it the first time around: You make bad puns, you have strange sexual adventures, and you buy expensive shoes. We get it. Now hop off and make a film that doesn't make me question my care of decency.
October 7, 2010
½ August 2, 2010
"Get Carried Away."

A New York writer on sex and love is finally getting married to her Mr. Big. But her three best girlfriends must console her after one of them inadvertently leads Mr. Big to jilt her.

It's not easy to turn a series into a film, as there is so little screen time in a film to fit everything in. "Sex and the City" suffers from the exact same syndrome, that it develops too many side stories, making the subplots more of a distraction. It's like having four romantic comedies crammed into one film. In addition, "Sex and the City" is far too long. It could have been much shorter and still be sexy, fun and fluffy. If they could have just concentrated on Carrie Bradshaw's romance, the film would have been even more enjoyable. Or maybe have four "Sex and the City" films and concentrate on one of the ladies in each film. That would have been more entertaining, and a sure cash cow for the studio.
½ July 23, 2010
this movie sucks so much it makes me mad. F
½ May 26, 2010
good enough
January 4, 2010
In its transition to the big screen, the long-running HBO series grew into an endless, irregular flick, and while the stories on TV involving the four female friends dealing with sex and fashion in the Big Apple were quite appealing, here the characters seem only shallow, stupid and vulgar.
September 1, 2009
ive never watched the series but i quite liked this movie it was funny, easy going, and light hearted with an easy to follow storyline as well!
June 28, 2008
what can i say? i loved it and thought it rocked!!!
½ May 24, 2009
I enjoy the show, I enjoyed the movie. A little long however...
October 8, 2009
just f*** off
½ April 29, 2009
I'm not worried about my penis and testicles falling off by reviewing this movie. It didn't happen when I watched it, so I figure it won't happen now. I gotta be honest, I know very little about the TV show, and most of my perceptions were negative broad generalizations that only sometimes were on the mark. Before seeing this movie, I had watched a few episodes with my girlfriend. She was also present when I watched the movie. Let's just say that the only thing that kept me from not doing either (which I could have done) was the fact that my loving girlfriend sat through stuff she didn't want to (namely Rob Zombie's Halloween), and I owed it to her to do something she wanted to.

With that out of the way, I must say-I kind of enjoyed the episodes I saw and the movie, too. Sex jokes are always good in my book (most fo the time), but aside from that, I enjoyed the general wit and humor of things. I was not totally proven wrong in my perceptions, but I wasn't totally right either. No, I have not totally changed my ways, and have not bee nwon over. I'm not totally against this kind of thing now however. Given my limited knowledge of the show, I couldn't tell you how good the movie was in comparison, but I guess that's a minor point. The fact of the matter is that I liked what I saw (mostly), and that it wasn't THAT bad of a thing to get through.

So yeah, despite my rambling, I guess you should take away from this review that this movie is not totally limted to chicks and homosexuals (sorry I can't find a better way to word that), but it's not totally amazing either. I can see why the show was so popular though, despite the fact that it's all basically fantasy and hardly at all realistic.
½ April 6, 2009
maybe my opinion is skewed as I loved the series and this has the same voice and sensibilities, so therefore, perforce, it works for me. I guess you can go home again.
Certainly there were some bloated scenes - the overlong mosaics that were vehicles for the music tracks (now available on CD and IPod!!!!), and the fulcrum of the film rested on a pretty iffy premise (Big gets cold feet, and not wanting to screw things up between he and Carrie yet again, does just that).

There is also a certain level of vulgarity, but that was always part and parcel of the series (those girls kept no secrets, and no topic was verbotten - including the episodes with Sonja Braga where Samantha experiences a clitoral ejaculation) - so the poopy pants running joke did not offend me.

In the end, there is enough crisp writing and the acting is passable (hard to say if the acting was truly good, or if the pre-baggage of the series made it all run so easy) - so, as others have said, " if you liked the series..."
June 17, 2008
Two words: CHICK FLICK. I'm sure there is some fluff entertainment value for fans of the show. There are times when the writing is surprisingly really witty, and other times when I became invested in the characters and what they were going through. However, there were also a lot of times where I was overwhelmed by the sheer superficiality of the overall film. Not to mention that it felt at many points like a two and a half hour ad for Apple. It has its moments, but for me, I now understand how my girlfriend felt when I made her watch Rambo in the theatre.
January 23, 2009
Okay. After Carrie realizes what a heinous bridezilla she's been, Miranda confesses to making some anti-marriage comments to Big at the rehearsal dinner, and that says to Carrie it's all Miranda's fault? There is no honor among frothy, self-centered, superficial bimbos. Fashion was nice. That Bag Borrow or Steal website is interesting.