Un Baiser s'il vous plaît (Shall We Kiss?) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Un Baiser s'il vous plaît (Shall We Kiss?) Reviews

½ January 3, 2013
Convuluted hijinks as friends decide to take things just a little step furthur to temporarily ease the loneliness of one ... nobody'll get hurt, right? We'll still be friends, right? Wrong. You could pass on this light truffle.
½ April 13, 2011
The narrators storyline ruins what the rest of the movie seems geared to accomplish. What few merits this film has unfortunately fall apart by the end. If you feel for the characters at all, you will not by then. One of those movies that the critics seemed to like, and I just don't see why....
hunterjt13
February 5, 2011
Dumped and despondent, Nicholas needs to empty his balls, so he turns to his long-time best friend, Judith. But after their first affair, they realize that friends with benefits leads to love. Now committed to one another, they must arrange to lightly let down their other significant others.
While billed as a romantic comedy - and there are certainly bits that attempt to imitate Woody Allen's best in manipulative and situational absurdity - there are only a few laugh-out-loud moments. This stems from the simple fact that these characters are remarkably staid and uninteresting -- or at least portrayed by actors who fail to give them much emotional life and presented by a director who shoots almost the whole film in motionless two-shots; the cinematography almost hearkens back to the early days of film when they thought that because the best seat in a theater was front and center, the camera shouldn't move from that position.
What is more, we need someone - the actors, director, writer, craft service guy - to make a decision about whether Nicolas's original proposition is a crafty manipulation in order to fuck Judith or should we take him at his word that he simply, honestly needs physical affection and his best friend is the most logical choice. Is this a mature but ill-advised request or a clever ploy? A point so instrumental to the plot shouldn't be so mysterious.
When we get to act two, the film's Woody Allen homages come to the fore. Now the couple has to manipulate Judith's husband to falling for another woman. But whereas Allen has a clear point about the monotony of monogamy and the cruelty/desperation (depending on the film) of humans in love, I don't see any such statement here. Rather, it seems like they're attempting to be logical and kind, but how is it that they fail to recognize the clear ethical dilemma in which they find themselves.
Overall, Shall We Kiss is a structural and thematic mess with doses of charm too rare to ignore the film's flaws.
½ August 5, 2009
Slight movie - not an awful lot happens, but it is entertaining.... SPOILER...........A woman meets a man and tells him the story of what turns out to be the ex of her boyfriend. Through flashbacks you see what happened to that couple. Kind of a cautionary tale about going where you ought not while in a relationship. Not an especially romantic film despite it's title, but it is cute. I especially enjoyed the scenes with Frederique Bel, is it just me who thinks she looks like a French Sarah Michelle Gellar?!
½ March 28, 2011
Going in, this viewer wasn't sure about the format. Poorly done, using a present situation to tell another story can seem flat and highly contrived. But, in this case it works. A woman accepts a ride from a stranger and when, at the end of a pleasant evening he tries to kiss her, she demurs and proceeds to tell him the story of a friend of hers. The way the two stories are woven, fits together and gives a plausible explanation for the woman's hesitancy. As another reviewer has said this is incredibly erotic for the amount of skin that is shown on screen. The director has chosen to leave the juiciest parts up to the viewer's imagination, and that only serves to heighten the experience. This is a charming tale, told with wit and subtle visual gags. The actors are quite good, and the viewer finds himself quietly becoming invested in watching these two relationships play out. SPOILER! When the kiss does finally come, it is marvelous!
Harlequin68
½ February 10, 2011
In "Shall We Kiss?" Emilie(Julie Gayet) has a wonderful time being shown around Nantes by Gabriel(Michael Cohen). At the end of the day, he attempts to give her a goodnight kiss but she rebuffs him. For the reason why, she tells him the cautionary tale of Judith(Virginie Ledoyen) and Nicolas(Emmanuel Mouret, who also writes and directs), two longtime friends. Judith is happily married to Claudio(Stefano Accorsi) while Nicolas has just amicably broken up with his girlfriend of two years. Missing intimacy, he visits a prostitute(Marie Madinier) which ends badly. So, Judith sees what she can do for him...

"Shall We Kiss?" is a surprisingly gentle and droll comedy of manners that almost gets tripped up by a plot trap but recovers nicely. Usually, I have a problem with movies this talky, but here it feels completely natural, as a lot of it is delivered in an awkward fashion that captures the characters' feelings well with them being terrified to take the next step, symbolized by a kiss. But for men and women who are platonic friends, things may be perfect as they are. For Judith and Nicolas, the tragedy may come from them not taking action long ago when there were less complications.
June 25, 2014
I can't find the right adjectives to describe just how grandiose this was. Hands down the best Romance movie I've watched this year. Julie Gayet is life.
November 24, 2011
While billed as a "comedy," this fine French film is so much more. Emmanuel Mouret has crafted a beautiful script, which he sensitively directed, and in which he plays a leading role. The premise of "Shall We Kiss?" may be a tad far-fetched, but as the two "love" stories play themselves out, we come away deeply touched, sad, and still, with smiles on our faces. The subtle use of Schubert's music throughout, coupled with the "back story" of Schbert's ill fated marriage, add an unwritten subtext to this exceptional film. "Shall We KIss?" is well worth your time and your thought. Be sure to see it with someone special! Bravo!
½ September 12, 2011
Quite an entertaining romantic comedy... I can't help but notice that the actress of Caline (Frederique Bel) bears some resemblance to Taylor Swift and the one who played Emilie (Julie Gayet) looks like Kristin-Scott Thomas.
August 19, 2011
"Un Baiser s'il vous plait" is a clever French romantic comedy whose story takes place on two different levels. I really liked this narrative story-telling technique, as it gives a reason for experiencing this unfortunate love story. It also allows the camera to cut away before the sex scenes get graphic by returning to the narrator. I also like how a lot of the details fit in with the overall story, such as the great soundtrack of classical music fitting in with Claudio's love for Schubert. I really enjoyed the actors, particularly the gorgeous Virginie Ledoyen and Emmanuel Mouret. Their sexual encounters initially seem emotionless; however, this successfully shows their hesitancy to begin the affair as their chemistry gets better as the relationship progresses. Looking at the other main actors (Bel, Gayet, Accorsi, and Cohen), I wonder if they could have possibly chosen a more attractive cast! The film is punctuated by an unexpected truth that is revealed at the end as well as a cliff-hanger ending that makes a statement about how desire often takes precidence over what we know is right (which is the theme of the entire film). Despite the cliff-hanger, the ending is satisfying as it ties the two stories together and makes you reexamine your own relationships.
½ January 23, 2008
funny movie about kisses and how they can wreck a platonic friendship. the last scene is quite a breathtaker.
July 29, 2010
So they were both trying not to make their "partner" suspicious and I'm pretty sure I'd be if they stayed out all night past 1, just "talking" but yeah. It was a interesting story and I liked how they linked the three stories together. I know I'm asking to much here, but would it kill the French to have English audio tracks? We have French audio tracks, just saying. It is seriously predictable but it does get points because the characters point that out for you.
June 14, 2010
An ultimately unbelievable and slightly annoying premise (two platonic friends decide to sleep together to save their friendship, or something like that). It doesn't get better as the film progresses - but hey, I think just watching Virginie Ledoyen for a bit was tolerable. The insufferable Emmanuel Mouret directs himself, with a certain smugness. In French with subtitles. If you care.
May 16, 2010
But I shouldn't kiss you... but I want to kiss you... but I shouldn't kiss you... but I want to!... sigh... the ending was beautiful! I enjoyed the film.
½ November 13, 2009
How much havoc can a kiss create? but without the crazed/zany comedy approach? Indeed havoc is wrought but it?s a different sort of comedy. Indeed it snowballs, but it?s more like the entire mountainside slowly came down? you don?t notice it till it?s too late. It?s painful like the best of Ricky Gervais or Larry David, but deadpan beyond belief. In the uber-auteur tradition Emmanuel Mouret, the writer director, also plays the male lead.

One of the best things about the film is its structure. Romantic comedy, yes by content, but not by the tired structure we?re used to. It cleverly uses a framing device/story-within-a-story to focus on the story of two ?best friends?, one married and the other one in and out of relationships. When the relationship moves to non-platonic, trouble spreads. The results forms the framing storyline.

The timing is awesome and the camera mise en scene is exquisite. For example, there?s an awesome shot of the two lovers sitting in the edge of the bed with their backs to the camera al la Godard for a long part of the conversation where we don?t see their faces. Then they flop back on the bed and the camera tilts down to finally reveal their faces. The whole movie is like that. Your eye is carefully directed.

It?s a French romantic comedy but its subtle approach pays off much bigger than the slapstick approach.

The sad problem for me is that Emmanuel Mouret works are not well distributed. Shall We Kiss? and Change of Address have no NTSC DVD release yet? although Shall We Kiss is scheduled in February 2010 and available now in an Australian PAL version.
April 19, 2009
Clever, entertaining French romantic comedy about a couple who meet, but the woman refuses to kiss him, relating a strange romantic tale of two best friends who fall in love, and try to find ways of leaving their significant others without hurting them. No one does romance like the French, and "Shall We Kiss" is a beautiful swooner.
½ July 11, 2008
Entertaining film that is paced like 70s Bertrand Blier without the extra bawdiness. The dialog is charming but alas a bit too charming at times so what could be a fun exercise in male/female friendship and love comes off a bit too heavy handed. Still, a fun watch and Virginie as always is so lovely.
June 25, 2014