Shampoo Reviews

½ March 29, 2007
Pouffy little sex comedy aspires to be something more. Beatty is funny in his self-absorbed confusion. Actually everone is. Julie Christie is spot on as the kept woman - but the other characters are not as well written.

Shampoo is the Paul's Boutique of soundtracks - no way you could get all those great tunes in one movie today.

Trivia: Beatty's character loosely based on Hollywood stylist Jay Sebring who was killed in the Manson murders. Lee Grant somehow bagged a best supporting actress Oscar for her performance. Fourth highest grossing film of 1975.

Geeks: Carrie Fisher with baby fat and a potty mouth. But no action-figures!
cosmo313
½ March 20, 2007
Taking place on the eve of Richard Nixon's taking of the presidency, but released in the aftermath of Watergate, this film provides a nice commentary about the Nixon years, made more potent by the fact that the audience (but not the characters) are aware of how things would turn out with Nixon.

This isn't a film about presidential politics though. Rather, it is about sexual ploitics. I just mentioned all of the above since the film places things within a certain context, which also gives more weight and depth to the satire it is presenting about what was going on at the time. SImply put, if one wanted a historically rooted film that commented on the sexual revolution, this would be one to watch.

Warren Beatty plays George- a successful hairdresser on the verge of financial ruin who gets in way over his head when the man who might loan him some money just happens to be with an ex of his, as well as the father and husband of two other woman (among others) that he is sleeping around with. This makes for both some fun satirical laughs, as well as some poignant drama that ties in with the death of 60s idealism and the terrible hangover that hits when the party ends.

Robert Towne (who also wrote Chinatown) penned the script, and apparently Beatty had a hand of some sort in the writing process as well. Hal Ashby directs, and it is one of several 1970s masterpieces he was responsible for helming. I really like that guy, and it is good to see thast others are starting to feel the same way (on a broader scale).

Beatty and the rest of the cast (including a young Carrie FIsher) are all excellent, and somehow, we actually sympathize with some of these characters, and kind of care for them, even if we really shouldn't. Give this one a watch. It's a great film with a strong ending, and a great look at the times it both portrays and came about during.
September 5, 2010
Although there are a lot of outrageous scenes, they aren't as funny as they think they are. The story isn't all that interesting either, but it does have a good cast.
March 8, 2010
A great film. The more and more I see his films, Hal Ashby is becoming one of my favorite directors. This is another example of how great of a director he is. Of course, Warren Beatty is basically playing himself as a hairstylist and giving him an excuse to bang Julie Christie (how amazing does she look in this film) on screen and in front of a crew. The best performances to me were Goldie Hawn and Jack Warden who steals the show. Beautiful cinematography, great writing, and a great cast. It's a shame to watch these movies and know that it may never be like that decade of greatness ever again.
September 2, 2009
This is probably my least favourite Hal Ashby film but its still fantastic! Beatty, Christie and Hawn give great performances in what is essentially a (tasteful) sex comedy. Benny Hill fans need not apply though, as this is far too cool be associated in the same category. For me, its Jack Warden who really steals the show in one of his lesser known performances.
deano
½ November 26, 2008
This is quite an interesting period black comedy set in the late 60s during the sex revolution. In one sentence, it's about a Casanova hairdresser who sleeps around with every woman he meets but there is one whom he loves and she happens to be the mistress of a not-to-mess-with businessman. Director Hal Ashby does a splendid job in bringing out the 60's look but it is Robert Towne and Warren Beatty who bring the feel especially through the dialogues and use of language. Not to mention, the make-up department that does an equally fine job.
jjnxn
½ June 16, 2007
love julie christie and lee grant but the picture is so dated.
November 20, 2006
Could've been worse. Not great, not terrible. Great soundtrack though.
½ June 9, 2010
A 'classic' of the 70's this hasn't really aged well and the whole thing moved along at a turgid pace. All the cast are great and the characters are interesting but this isn't really a comedy (although it's billed as such) and the downbeat ending supports that. My wife asked when it was going to start halfway through this and I see what she means. Another classic to tick off my list but I don't think I'll be revisiting it.
divinetrash
½ February 12, 2008
The performances are all fantastic, especially Jack Ward and Julie Christie, and the film has a lot of successful attempts at humor all throughout, but the characters kept going from moderately likeable to completely annoying and this kept dragging the enjoyment of the film down.
August 5, 2008
Very funny. With a great cast and script, this is one of the better comedies from the 70's.
iLeo
½ December 26, 2007
Hilarious!
½ February 16, 2015
This pointed character study of a man whore was waaaaaaaaay ahead of its' time in terms of realistic depictions of sex, drugs, and language, but the shock value is limited by today's standards making the film not quite as potent to new viewers as it likely was in the time of its' premiere.
January 13, 2014
This is another film that I caught for Movie Shame Monday because it's always been on my radar as something of an iconic film from the '70s, and I have to say that I just might not have 'got' it, because the overall vibe I get is one of Warren Beatty's ennui, not the alleged comedy that it's supposed to be, and on top of that I'm meant to feel sorry for the guy who's grown tired of skating by on his looks and fucking every woman who wanders into his field of vision?

Oh, woe is me.

Rental.
June 8, 2011
I first saw this in fifth grade, uncut, and it made an impression. A steamy potboiler, but a good one. Some solid satire as well.
August 28, 2010
The film's best recommendation to today's viewer is the presence of Julie Christie. She's even ten times as lovely in this film - white go-go boots and all - as we remember her elsewhere. She makes her dated outfits and hair-dos simply glisten. If the viewer found Christie gorgeous and lovable elsewhere, this film will deliver an even much sweeter treat.

Despite its "AFI Laughs" award, there's actually very little comedy to be found in this supposedly satiric look at 1970s hairdresser Beatty mindlessly and unethically romping his way through "60s/70s free love" from one lady to another, married and single, even a mother and daughter (a very young Carrie Fisher).

Perhaps it was supposed to be humorous in that the male characters are so shallow. However shallow does not automatically equal funny.

This film, at some sort of symbolic level, is attempting to document the end of that period of American culture, where people such as Beatty discovered just how shallow and incomplete such a life could be.

It also documents the end of the real life Beatty/Christie affair - and their emotional distance plays right into their characters.

Warden as Christie's sugar daddy plays flat. The same can be said of Goldie Hawn as Beatty's two-timed, ur, many-timed, girlfriend.

Only recommended to viewers hankering to see Christie at her best.
April 30, 2010
there were some really great 70's-era comedies produced that really deserve to be watched and truly hold up well. Nothing like them will probably ever be produced again because they are so much a product of the specific american culture of that day, which changes like the tide of musical styles. It's a shame things like this are so easily forgotten by time.
December 26, 2008
George Roundy: Face it, they know we're always trying to nail 'em and they don't like it. They like it and they don't like, it's got nothing to do with you Lester. It just happened.

The playboy hairdresser in Beverly Hills. It sounded better than it is.
½ December 19, 2008
Fascinating look at the dating and mating rituals of the 1970's Beverly Hills set. Great direction from Hal Ashby, excellent performances and film score make this a classic '70's time capsule.
August 9, 2008
A good, funny and smart film! It has some great moments: Like when Lorna is talking to George in the kitchen, and she asks him if he wants to fuck. Or when Felicia is leaving the bistro, and gives Lester the finger and speeds off. But the film also has some great dramatic parts. Like at the end when George tells Jackie, "I don't trust anyone but you." The look on Julie Christie's face is heart breaking. And then they embrace. Or when Jill goes back to her place and finds George there, and he asks her why she wants the truth and she says, "Beacuse i'll know that you lied to me, and that your incapable of love." That scene is all Goldie. I love how she can be a comedic and dramatic actress. Also, Lee Grant earned her Oscar as the distrustful wife Felicia. She was so funny!