Shampoo Reviews

May 6, 2015
I'll take a Hal Ashby film over many films I've seen over the years. Shampoo is a fine film, but one that's certainly dated due to not just its style but its subject matter and underlying themes. Everybody gives terrific performances, and the film ends realistically, as opposed to a lesser film that might have gone with something much happier.
½ February 16, 2015
This pointed character study of a man whore was waaaaaaaaay ahead of its' time in terms of realistic depictions of sex, drugs, and language, but the shock value is limited by today's standards making the film not quite as potent to new viewers as it likely was in the time of its' premiere.
½ January 18, 2015
Entre comedia y romance un divertido film que tuvo mucho xito en el año de su estreno , destacan las actuaciones secundarias de Lee Grant y Jack Warden.
April 25, 2014
One of the very best films of 1975 and that's really saying something. Robert Towne's screenplay is perfection.
½ April 13, 2014
Mildly interesting but feels dated. Ostensibly a commentary on the social mores and morals of the late-1960s, this movie hasn't aged well. Much of the moral dilemmas and predicaments, which may have seemed fresh and unique at the time, are ingrained and old news now.

The romance angle is also nothing new.

The free-wheeling young people vs the stuffy older generation was laid on rather thick and is another aspect which seems not at all profound now.

Has its moments though. Some quite funny scenes. Overall, however, just feels dull and pointless.

Decent performances by Warren Beatty, Julie Christie, Goldie Hawn and Jack Warden.
½ April 10, 2014
Shampoo is a decent film. It is about lovers who undo a hairdresser from Beverly Hills around Election Eve in 1968. Warren Beatty, Goldie Hawn, and Julie Christie give good performances. The script is enjoyable but a little slow in places. Hal Ashby did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the romance and humor.
March 17, 2014
Warren Beatty prevented another household photo shoot. You have him to thank. Is this movie the '70s version of "High Fidelity"? (which we also just recently watched). No, because much as I love John Cusack, he can never beat Warren.
February 26, 2014
Meh. I didn't see the significance of any of it. Was any of this daring or new in 1975? Still, the principals are nice to watch, and Jack Albertson gets the girl instead of Warren, so there's that.
February 24, 2014
gr8 adult comedy that gets the balance between humor and serious right
January 13, 2014
This is another film that I caught for Movie Shame Monday because it's always been on my radar as something of an iconic film from the '70s, and I have to say that I just might not have 'got' it, because the overall vibe I get is one of Warren Beatty's ennui, not the alleged comedy that it's supposed to be, and on top of that I'm meant to feel sorry for the guy who's grown tired of skating by on his looks and fucking every woman who wanders into his field of vision?

Oh, woe is me.

Rental.
November 27, 2013
Quietly powerful examination of a decaying culture lensed through the lives of late 1960's Hollywood that remains surprisingly relevant in the 21st Century.
September 24, 2013
When the movies were truly good and the stars real stars: just take a look at Julie Christie here, people, she was a stand out, no many like those anymore!
July 7, 2007
This is an infamous 70s film and I don't know why. It was alright, but nothing to write home about.
½ March 31, 2013
Hay pelicula que envejecen y esta es una de ellas, lo que fue comico e interesante en los 70s (el film se desarrolla en el 1968), en el siglo 21 resulta aburrido y poco interesante, a mi personalmente NO ME GUSTO. Aceptable
February 17, 2013
Very close to being Warren Beatty's ultimate vanity project. This film is outdated and the characters are not very likeable, but the most disappointing aspect is that Ashby seems quite uninspired and the original satirical and unique concept, which could have been interesting, feels wasted.
December 7, 2012
Looks interesting will try to find and watch!
July 11, 2011
This film has been renowned by some to be sharp in wit and absolutely hilarious. I didn't laugh. Rather, I scoffed and chuckled here and there. I found it dull. I found the characters totally confusing, and it seemed like George, played by Warren Beatty, had a scrunched face look the entire movie, as if he himself didn't know what he was doing in the movie. The only thing I liked was looking at Goldie Hawn and Julie Christie. And the scene towards the end with Jack Warden and Warren Beatty discussing women. Other than that, I expected so much more life to a film by Hal Ashby, director of such exciting and oddly moving films like The Last Detail, Harold and Maude, Bound for Glory, Being There, and Coming Home.
October 5, 2012
I didn't like this movie at all. Beatty's character is annoying, there is no emotional sympathy generated for any of the characters, the plot is boring, and you really just hope that someone with a gun will burst into a scene unexpectedly ans slaughter everyone to put the audience out of its misery.
August 29, 2012
Though often referred to as a comedy, the satirical "Shampoo" could also be called "The Rise and Fall of George Roundy". And though some bits of the film sparkle with some good black comedy type situations, it's better to label "Shampoo" as a drama that has a sense of humor. If you do, it's much more gratifying. We're pulled into the life of George Roundy (Warren Beatty), a hairdresser who pretends to be gay while having affairs with many different women and in the meantime fools their husbands. It's Election Day, 1968, and at this point in time George his having an affair with three different women-- Jill (Goldie Hawn), Jackie (Julie Christie), and Felicia (Lee Grant). But the plot thickens: Jill is a friend of Jackie, who's having an affair with Lester (Jack Warden) who's married to Felicia. George is trying to open his own hair salon in the meantime, and before he knows it, juggling all these women may be harder than he thinks. Well-written, flawlessly acted, and nicely directed, every second of the film feels sharper than the next, because director Hal Ashby ("Harold and Maude) has a good sense of what should be taken seriously and what should be funny. With smart additions of characters like Felicia and Lester in a scene, it can go from dark to silly-- and it hits just the right balance. "Shampoo" is fun to view in 2012, with all of the silly hairdos and the sexual politics that thrived back in those days-- but set aside all the things we're laughing at deep inside, we're also glued to the screen, seeing what dumb decision George will make next, and how it'll affect him. I might admit, he doesn't get the girl(s) in the end, and he doesn't get a salon, but that's what makes "Shampoo" so refreshing-- the lead character is a jerk, and he doesn't get rewarded for it. This is a good satire that hasn't exactly aged perfectly over time, but it still is well-done.