Shaolin Soccer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shaolin Soccer Reviews

½ January 4, 2010
A hilarious goofy comedy that has me down in tears from laughing so hysterically, and what makes it so amazing is how it embraces all together kung fu action, Western movies tropes, cartoonish visual effects and delicious nonsense to create a unique martial arts movie.
½ April 29, 2007
Soccer star "Golden Leg" is bribed into throwing an important match and has his legs broken in retribution. Twenty years later he teams up with a young Kung Fu master to win a prestigious Soccer Tournament and revenge himself on the man responsible. Shaolin Soccer is a witty, tongue in cheek pastiche of multiple film genres, including martial arts epics, Jackie Chan style chop socky slapstick, sports underdog films and even spaghetti westerns. This mish mash of styles and genres reminded me very much of the kind of knowing comedy Simon Pegg would make rather than the juvenile scattershot parodies of Zucker/Abrams. There's a lot of humour in the notion that ordinary people are using Shaolin Kung Fu in everyday life and Chow cleverly uses loony tunes-style CGI and costumes to intercut between the mundane and "epic". The sports film formula is cleverly parodied (the villain's team is called "Team Evil") and the wire work during the match sequences is hilarious! Unfortunately, like Shaun Of The Dead, it is a bit of a one-idea film, and it could've stood to lose a little flab in the middle as it runs out of steam occasionally. But only occasionally. It's a very funny film with plenty of laugh out loud moments, and the combination of martial arts and football will appeal to stereotypical heterosexual men everywhere!
January 26, 2010
Get ready to kick some grass!

Good solid fun! I enjoyed it alot and I would watch again because its clean fun no dirty jokes or with double meaning.

Sing is a skilled Shaolin kung fu devotee whose amazing "leg of steel" catches the eye of a soccer coach. Together they assemble a squad of Sing's former Shaolin brothers inspired by the big-money prize in a national soccer competition. Using an unlikely mix of martial arts and newfound soccer skills, it seems an unbeatable combination until they must face the dreaded Team Evil in the ultimate battle for the title.
November 27, 2011
I watched this as a kid and remember thinking, "My gosh, these guys are absolutely getting owned by a soccer ball." The action is so absurd and outrageous that it makes everything hilarious. A joy to watch.
June 10, 2006
[talking to a TV camera]
Sing: I want to say hello to my parents and my Kung Fu master, but they're all dead.

A team of former Shaolin martial artists take on Team EVIL in the ultimate showdown combining soccer and kung fu. How would this not be a good movie?

From star/writer/director Stephen Chow, basically China's Jim Carrey, this is a movie that is entertaining every time I watch it. It is almost a parody of most sports movie, but still manages to have an original story, combined with a great sense of humor, fun effects to show what happens when soccer and martial arts are mixed together, and even a sweet romance angle. It also helps that the action scenes are completely over-the-top, including the music.

Chow and a host of other funny Asian actors assemble the rag tag soccer team, challenging all comers in their soccer league, and make one hell of an entertaining and funny movie.

Sing: [after his team gets brutally beaten by Team Gangster] Why don't you stop them? They're being unlawful!
Golden Leg Fung: I'm the referee! I won't stop them!
Sing: What do you mean by that? You basically want us to die!
Golden Leg Fung: [blows his whistle] You! Out of the game!
Sing: Have you gone nuts?
Golden Leg Fung: This is a test! If none of you can pass it, then you can't play in the soccer league!
Sing: Well, this is a soccer game! This isn't a war!
Golden Leg Fung: The final soccer game is a war.
½ February 8, 2008
What can you say? Soccer and kung fu. A recipe that sounds like a complete stupid disaster. Well, this isn't a disaster, but it is stupid. In a good way.The story for this movie is ludicrous, but that's what makes this film so entertaining. Sure, there are a ton of other movies with ridiculous stories that just plain suck, but Stephen Chow doesn't let that happen here. He has a good knack for directing. A quick pace keeps you from falling asleep and parts that should be long and boring are kept alive with slapstick comedy. It does take a while for the soccer to become heavily involved, but everything leading up to it makes sense and it is well worth the watch. You get some good character development from these parts.CG is used in abundance and while it isn't the greatest, it is still visually pleasing. Thankfully this movie is part comedy, otherwise the CG may have worked against it. A bunch of the "kung fu" moves in this film use CG. While real time un-CG martial arts action is great, just remember that this isn't really a martial arts action movie. There isn't a ton of kung fu, but it definitely has its share.The acting isn't outstanding, but it is good. This also keeps this film from being classified as crap. Stephen Chow shows that he can do it all. Directing, writing, and acting. Zhao Wei is as good as she is beautiful and the cameos from Cecelia Cheung and Karen Mok are also hilarious. This film will cater to many people including Stephen Chow, kung fu, comedy, and maybe even soccer fans. If you have a chance to see this, take it. Don't even hesitate.
April 7, 2007
Best Kung-Fu Soccor movie of all time
January 20, 2008
funny and entertaining...
May 23, 2007
interesting combination of kung-fu action and soccer. I has very good humor, action and adventure and even a piece of romance. It has a nice story and a decent plot
½ April 25, 2007
So very entertaining if you can accept it for what it is.
½ March 24, 2007
Pure fun in every way, Stephen Chow comic timing is perfect on this one. Already a comedy classic.
February 28, 2007
This movie is as awesome as possible.
½ January 23, 2007
Between the fun but overrated Kung Fu Hustle and this piece of trash, Stephen Chow is proving himself sensationally bad at this whole "American-Asian martial arts comedy" thing.
½ September 6, 2006
Amazing comedy kung fu on soccer and special effects.
A kind of story triangulation of The Five Chinese Brothers, The Bad News Bears, and Bend It Like Beckham. One of the more unique sports movies ever, and a celebration of soccer that could only come from outside the US--and probably only from Asia. To top it off, one of the more quirky love stories in a while. The humor keeps this one moving and does not hurt the project.
February 7, 2012
After a fatal sports mistake, an ex-soccer player encounters a shaolin kung fu master who is trying to spread the word about kung fu. Now, the ex-soccer player helps reunite the shaolin master with his five brothers-teaching them the game of soccer. But this time, kung fu is added to the game.

The film starts off in Black and White, allowing us to know why Golden Leg is no longer living in the world of soccer. While this plays, the film seems to be normal. But once the Black and White sequence is gone, the film turns its way into an incredibly ridiculous slapstick comedy. There is even a random dance sequence that comes at one of the most sudden moments. Usually, this short of film would be booed over due to it's extreme nonsense. Some of these films include: The Cat In The Hat, and Zookeeper. These movies are different from Shaolin Soccer because they forgot to add one thing, this is laughter. Sometimes, the films that are listed below can bring some laughs-but truly they become tiring. Thankfully, there are things that hold our interest with Shaolin Soccer, things that make us stay through the film. It is able to offer us many different topics in Comedy, topics such as: slapstick, cleverness, love, lust, crudeness, and so much more. One thing for sure is that once you begin watching this film, you will immediately know that it is highly ludicrous. But on the other hand, it is highly enjoyable as well.
½ March 28, 2010
This comedy was utterly entertaining in all kinds of complex and unpredictable ways, a little twisted around the edges with a few dashes of gross disgust thrown in for an occasional guffaw. Just when I thought I'd relaxed into the general humor drift and could kick back, something so bizarre would happen that the laughter that came pouring out of me was part shock, part fascination. Shaolin Soccer opens your eyes to a new genre of comedy, a real treat to everyone's laughing nerve.

Story: B-
Acting: B
Direction: B+
Visuals: B
Overall: B

*** out of 4 stars
½ April 13, 2005
[font=Century Gothic][color=navy](This review and rating relates to the original Cantonese language director's cut of "Shaolin Soccer.")[/color][/font]
[color=#000080]"Shaolin Soccer" starts out with a legendary soccer play Golden Leg Fung throwing a game in return for a bribe. Years later, he is a broken man in more ways than one. He encounters a Kung-Fu expert with a very powerful kick, and sees in him and his very talented, if underemployed, brothers a potentially great soccer team.[/color]
[color=#000080]"Shaolin Soccer" is a very entertaining, funny movie. Occasionaly it borders on cliche and predictability but pulls back from the edge with visual panache.[/color]
½ May 18, 2007
Very good movie. A goofy story with great humor and over-stylized kung fu moves integrated into soccer. Amazing comedy kung fu on soccer and special effects.
August Seria
October 25, 2011
A very great comedy that has all the right stuff to be considered one of the best.