Shattered Glass - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shattered Glass Reviews

January 27, 2016
This is Hayden's best performance. He proved to me that he can indeed be a good actor under good enough direction. It is a truly interesting story! It is a great look into the mind of a sociopath. Everyone has good enough motivations and it makes sense why everyone does what they do! It is very suspenseful.
½ October 25, 2015
Good story. Decent acting.
½ August 24, 2015
Correcta, incluso para captar mi interés en una minuscula pantalla durante un largo vuelo a pesar del doblaje hispano neutro, pero definitivamente poco trascendente y fácil de olvidar.
May 26, 2015
Shattered Glass is an incredibly realistic and fair portrait of Stephen Glass with (hard to believe I'm saying this) a masterful performance from Hayden Christensen. It will probably prove to be boring for some, but for those interested in journalism, Shattered Glass is a must-see.
March 25, 2015
While educational on the demise of an infamous journalist, the film lacked emotional connection between the characters and the audience to make it a worthwhile watch. The interactions b/w Glass and his editor seemed so superficial and unbelievable even for a drama.
March 2, 2015
A surprisingly intimate account of Stephen Glass' fraudulent journalistic downfall while still being dramatically satisfying. The film has an amazing screenplay that boasts intriguing dialogue and a correct focus in order to avoid making the audience bored. Hayden Christensen gives an extremely good and overlooked performance that completely erases the horrendous work he did in the Star Wars prequels and shows his true ability as an actor. Peter Sarsgaard also does a great job by managing to deliver a controlled performance and carrying the movie along with Hayden Christensen. Shattered Glass is a very underrated movie that certainly deserved more attention.
½ February 9, 2015
It's based on a true story of journalist Stephen Glass who was a young rising star at The New Republic over a three-year period and wrote entertaining and humorous articles with invented quotations, sources, and events.
Hayden plays Stephen very nicely with expression of outward fun and sensitivity as well as internal anxiety and weakness. Peter's performance as Stephen's silent boss is also great with honest expression of journalistic justice and royalty to The New Republic.
In a recent interview, Stephen himself told ' "The movie makes it seem like there was some joy in all of this for me. But it never felt fun. I was anxious and scared and depressed. Outwardly I was communicating fun, but inside all I felt was anxiety." It might be true but I don't want to relive the feeling of his exact psychological state at that time as I can imagine it is too horrible.
February 14, 2014
Well this ended up being pretty good. It started out weak, kinda dry a little dull but developed into an engrossing and surprisingly suspenseful story. Its based on a true story following Stephen Glass, a young reporter for the New Republic whose up and coming career in the 1990's came to a screeching halt when it was discovered that he had fabricated many of his stories.

Hayden Christensen plays Glass and I thought he did a great job; his character is annoying, whiny, simpering and constantly craving praise while preying on the good nature and sympathy of others. Not very likeable. When he gets caught out (by Steve Zahn & Rosario Dawson) watching him try to cover his tracks regarding fact checking, sources and phone #'s was fascinating, it kind of made me squirm.

Peter Sarsgaard plays his editor, put in a tough spot because he wants to believe him and knows a shit storm is coming if indeed Glass has fabricated his stories but eventually the chain of events can't be ignored. There are some weird moments when Glass is fantasizing events so its kind of confusing as to what's real, I guess this is to show how much Glass believed his own lies. And I surprised myself with how much sympathy I felt for him in the end, his character is heartbreaking, so messed up. 1/5/15
June 17, 2007
Hayden Christensen sure plays whiney well...
½ July 29, 2010
My long wait to see this film finally paid off. This is an excellent true story with great emotional impact. This is arguably Hayden Christensen's best performance. He really surprised me and he is simply brilliant in this. The rest of the cast was great as well. One of the better movies I have seen in awhile.
½ October 6, 2014
Story portrayed as interestingly as possible. Christensen well-cast as someone reprehensible.
March 4, 2010
It starts off incredibly dull, but gets a little more intriguing. I wouldn't go as far as calling it a thriller though. (First and only viewing - 8/19/2014)
August 4, 2014
this is quite the hidden gem - I've never seen a Hayden Christensen movie that hasn't resonated on some level with me. The man can act!
August 3, 2014
Unbelievable story!!!
½ August 1, 2014
an entertaining account about stephen glass who worked for the new republic and rollingstone and falsified accounta and was accused of making up news stories just to advance his career. Very well made with a commanding performance from Hayden Christiansen.
½ July 9, 2014
true story about a journalist who fabricated most of his story's and then gets caught. its a bit of a dull movie with the lead being hayden christensen who got whipped by the fans for his performance in the star wars prequels playing anakin skywalker, but its one you defo want to see through to the end.
½ July 29, 2012
Hayden Christensen proves he can act making Stephen Glass human yet incredibly manipulative. Peter Sarsgaard is a revelation taking over every scene he is in.
May 3, 2014
Billy Ray's first film for directing, "Shattered Glass," is one that Hayden Christensen plays the role of Stephen Glass seriously. The process of production was a disaster at first, since Ray tried to convince the real-life people to work on "Shattered Glass" with him. Former news editor of the News Republic Michael Kelly (in the film he is portrayed by Hank Azaria) had a hard time being convinced by the director to be part of "Shattered Glass." The reason for this hard decision is because Kelly felt embarrassed that he worked with a journalist (Stephen Glass) that fabricated articles and published them. Later though, Ray convinced Kelly to help out with the film once Ray said he was approaching the story as a journalist. He informed Kelly that he wanted the script to be factually accurate as can be. Once that task was a success, two colleagues Charles Lane (in the film he is portrayed by Peter Saarsgard) and Hannah Rosin worked as advisers for Billy Ray. The character Caitlin Avey (portrayed by Chloe Sevigny) is loosely based off of Hannah Rosin.

The film's introduction is the life of Stephen Glass (Christensen): a smart, and devoted journalist, and a student trying to finish his law degree; his colleague Charles Lane (Saarsgard) is short-fused and gets aggravated easily; another colleague Caitlin Avey (Sevigny) who is a close-friend of Glass but thinks that Lane is too hard on everyone; and a caring editor Michael Kelly (Azaria) that lacks dialogue. An organized man but is not good with confrontations.

Glass writes a story about a company called Jukt Micronics. Which is a big event that consists of a hacker at the age of fifteen and is trying to make a name for himself. This story is one that never happened, but the rest of the News Republic is not aware of the problem yet. The issue is that Glass just makes situations worse and does not resolve any of the conflicts he is putting himself into. He just keeps on trying to find ways to cheat his way out of getting caught, and he does this by fabricating article after article.

Before the Jukt Micronics issue happens, Glass was assigned to do research and write an article on Drug Abuse Resistance Education. He did go to the conference regarding what he was suppose to write about, but admits he messed up (where he actually lied). Later though, the News Republic gets letters of distortions and lies that they found written by Glass. Glass's window is closing.
January 22, 2014
Peter Sarsgaard killed that role, he was epic in this. Hayden was a whiny twerp as usual, haha
December 2, 2013
good movie that I wish would have elaborated on the whole life of Glass.