42% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

Page 1 of 1986
garyX
garyX

February 27, 2007
Ambition-free retail manager Shaun thinks that being dumped by his girlfriend is the end of the world, until next morning when he wakes up to find that the dead are walking the earth. Brought to you by the same team who brought you Spaced, Shaun Of The Dead is a knowing homage to George Romero's Dead trilogy in which a zombie holocaust is seen through the eyes of a London slacker. Much beloved by many, this film is a bit of a case of rose-tinted memories; the highlights are actually hilarious, but there are rather less of them than you'd think. In fact most of the really funny lines happen in the first half hour, before the bulk of the zombie action when the Pegg and Frost double act are in full effect. The idea does run out of steam somewhat for the final half hour but when it's funny, it's very funny and it's actually rather better made than a lot of horror films that are meant to be taken seriously. Definitely worth seeing for the best bits, but perhaps not the masterpiece it's made out to be.
Eugene B

November 27, 2013
Edgar Wright's comedic zombie-fest provides a great blend of frights and laughs and a hint of drama in between. Simon Pegg's performance was nearly flawless along with Wright's swift direction, making Shaun of the Dead a bloody brilliant film. 4.5/5
Phil H

October 3, 2013
The first film in the Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy, this being the red strawberry flavour Cornetto to represent the blood and gore of the horror genre. Yep the ragtag bunch of scruffy oddball Brits from the TV show 'Spaced' are here with more outlandish comedy the likes of which the Americans can only dream of.

Put simply, a regular working stiff must contend with his everyday mundane life that includes various family problems and girlfriend issues. Oh and at the same time there's that zombie apocalypse thing to deal with also, geez some days you just can't catch a break huh.

Now I will admit I'm not a zombie fan, I'm more of a vampire and werewolf person, my reasons? simply because all zombie flicks are almost identical. This comedy/parody/homage is again no difference from the myriad of other zombie flicks out there accept its funny. There is no real explanation for the zombie outbreak, it just happens, but that's not important, this is simply an amusing sketch that has been stretched out into a film.

That's not to say it doesn't work as it does, but its not as good as many rave on about in my personal opinion. I didn't really get on with the film when I saw it the first time round and this time I can still see why. The start of the film is great fun, I really enjoyed watching'Shaun' flounder in his dead end job with his young teenage staff that don't give a shit...a typical British trait that I've seen in reality. I liked to watch him and his best mate 'Ed' in their trashy rented accommodation that is easily a 'Men Behaving Badly/Bottom' type scenario that we Brits do so well.

The set up for the film is perfect, a slobby male couple who seem to crawl through life having work/girlfriend issues but plenty of time for drinking and Playstation. Nick Frost is the perfect pub dwelling, overweight, student-like representation and Pegg is the perfect down trodden bloke dreaming of better things. As the zombie outbreak starts to flare up I loved how these two guys don't really notice and when they do it still takes time for it to sink in (as it would). Small sequences where they attack zombies, try to work out what's going on by sitting on the couch, having a drink and watching TV and then trying to get to Shaun's mums house are the best moments early on in the film.

I guess what I don't like about the film is the fact it turns into a semi serious weepy/drama...almost. As the film progresses and the small band of survivors haul up in a pub (how typically British), the film does tend to get quite emotional in parts, little moments that do actually put a lump in your throat (when Shaun's mum dies). Its these points that make me wonder what the film actually wants to be. Essentially the film splits and takes on a whole new approach, first half is a funny sight gag parody, second half becomes a more serious action thriller with emotional deaths, I'm just not sure that I liked that decision.

Its certainly an amusing jaunt that adheres to the old school original zombie school of thought...or laws. In that I mean the zombies are slow moving, lurching creatures that groan a lot and stagger around arms outstretched in a cliched manner. They don't run or think or assist each other, they just stumble around and eat whatever happens to fall in their path, oh and there are are plenty of little tributes to various other zombie classics of course. Think of it along the lines of 'An American Werewolf in London' but not as dark or adult, but as I've said in my other reviews this could so easily be the next Monty Python flick.

Plenty of offensive British language which we all love so much, toilet humour, gore and pop culture references galore. The cast are excellent, the whole film looks good in that quirky little England type of way (good old North London eh) and the dialog is sharp...but I still think 'Hot Fuzz' is the superior of the trilogy.
Samuel Riley
Samuel Riley

August 29, 2012
A must watch for Zombie fans, especially those who know references to George A.Romero's films Edgar Wright more than successfully proves that both the Zombie and Comedy genres can form a superb film. With some great performances from Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, this is also worth a try from comedy fans.
NOTE: Keep an eye out for Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright when you watch George A.Romero's Land Of The Dead
Kevin C

March 13, 2011
The best film of the 00s.
Apeneck F

July 22, 2007
Fun like the best of the Abbott and Costello/monster collaborations, a nifty romp through a Brit-style zombie apocalypse, with nary a feather ruffled. And low gore quotient!
Louis R

October 27, 2012
Razor sharp but warmly self depreciating satire of zombie flicks, hollywood formula and British society, and equally an ingenious zombie movie in its own right. The title sequence alone is inspired and the infinite intricacy, references and solid wit of the script more than bare the inevitable repeat viewings.
Eric A

October 2, 2011
The scores on RT surprised me at first and I said to myself, "there's no way it could be that good". Well it is! It's funny, fast-moving, violent, and witty......and it just works well together.
Coxxie M

March 21, 2009
Zomies are not funny and never will be funny. but this comes damn close.
Adam K

June 3, 2012
Combining sharp wit and a good humoured script, "Shaun Of The Dead" is an impressively comedic jaunt into the world of zombie horror flicks. Newcomer to directing Edgar Wright brings together a good cast to tell the story of Shaun, who amidst a zombie apocalypse tries to hunt down his ex-girlfriend and friends, and bring them to his favourite pub to hideout.

Whilst the whole idea of "Shaun of the Dead" is a parody on the greatest zombie hits, most obviously of course, "Dawn of the Dead", the script written by Wright and star Simon Pegg, is clever and witty, creating a certain you have to smile even though sometimes you don't want to feeling, surrounding the film.

Pegg plays his usual British awkward guy character, and does it well, however with the best performances coming from his best friend Nick Frost and the supporting cast, the protagonist of the story is sometimes out shined by others. Dylan Moran changes from his Bernard Black drunk Irish performance, to produce a high brow, snooty and twit like character, and he does it very well. Penelope Wilton and Bill Nighy also have fleeting appearances, and perform up to the expected standard from their dialogue.

The cinematography is interesting with a liberal use of whip pans, but what really stands out is the story and screenplay, which manage to combine some action packed car chases, zombie attacks and light sitcom style humour all in a little over ninety minutes.

A breakthrough first film from Edgar Wright who could have chose a much safer genre to try and enter the film industry. Instead, going for a zombie spoof and an unknown cast, the screenplay creates a very British comedy film, whilst appealing to worldwide audiences through the horror aspect.

Never forgetting its intended dedicated zombie splatter fans, whilst entertaining all cinema goers, "Shaun of the Dead" is a film with flaws, but fun to watch and giggle at.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

October 28, 2011
Shaun Of The Dead is a funny and sophisticated parody of the zombie movie that gives off lots of thrills and chills. It was executed fantastically. It was hard for me to tell whether it was actually a zombie spoof or a zombie comedy spoof. Very entertaining film that doesn't lose its welcome after watching it repeatedly.
Scott G

October 27, 2011
Uniquely known as the world's favourite zombie apocalypse, the most successful duo take on zombies, whatever next? maybe they come across and alien called Paul, who knows?! I do know this film kicks proverbial ass.
paul o.
paul o.

October 25, 2011
Saw this film last week at the AFI and its so good! Its scary and serious, giving your stomach the right amounts of laugh and scare. Fantastic homage to zombie films!
blkbomb
blkbomb

August 5, 2011
Dianne: Just look at the face: it's vacant, with a hint of sadness. Like a drunk who's lost a bet.

"It's just one of those days when you're feeling a little... dead."

I really don't know how to describe Shaun of the Dead, except it's a comedy... with zombies. There's been other movies since it that morphed zombies with comedy like Fido and the great Zombieland. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost lead the cast as two lazy roommates. Together with Simon's ex-girlfriend, mom and another couple they try to survive a zombie apocalypse.

What I really love about this movie is the humor isn't to in your face; at least not all the time. Pegg and Frost have great chemistry on screen together and Kate Ashfield is really good too. This is one of those movies that is really easy to love. The dialogue is funny and the characters fire back at each other quickly. Sometimes fast dialogue comes off as annoying, but here it really works.

I'd have to say this is probably one of the best zombie movies ever made; be it a straight horror or a comedy. Most zombie movies feel lame and uninspired because there's only so much you can do with zombies. Movies like Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland have really breathed new life into the genre though. Shaun of the Dead is really fun to watch and a truly hilarious movie. Edgar Wright has shown since Shaun that he can make more then just one good movie too.
Drake T

July 19, 2011
Zombie films up until this point were a dying genre, this is the first truly successful parody/satire film of it before it became a trend. Pegg and Frost have an amazing repertoire, especially when they fit so neatly into their character.

Hilarious and a lot of fun, but upon re-watching I can't help but notice severe pacing issues during the final acts of the film where things almost come to a halting stop as the cast bunkers up in the tavern. Especially with the contrive attempt at drama that left me wondering why it took such a serious and exhausting emotional turn.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

April 25, 2007
Whatever your personal or technical definition of a perfect film is, it's going to always be biased based on what you personally relish. With that in mind, this is, to me, a perfect film from beginning to end. No flaws whatsoever. Am I being biased? Absolutely. I love this movie so much and have done so ever since I first set eyes upon it. Everything about it is pitch-perfect. The cast is rich and entertaining, the writing is strong and witty, the cinematography is gorgeous and the soundtrack is excellent... not to mention Edgar Wright's very strong direction. I can't deflate arguments about big epic films or even sweeping dramas being personal favorites, but when it comes to just the pure inventiveness and joy of filmmaking, Shaun of the Dead is heads and tails above them all. It just clicks with me the way no film ever has. I can always pop this in for the sheer amount of inspiration it gives me, or just simply for the quality of entertainment it holds. I hold it in my highest esteem.
3niR
3niR

March 2, 2010
Am I the only one who didn't find this that much funny? Not like it was boring and I did laughed (once!). But the rating scared me more than those zombies!
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 23, 2011
How can someone not enjoy this movie, it funny smart, and cool,. MY only problem was is that it should've had more too it and been longer.
Carlos M

December 2, 2010
An atypical zombie movie that nicely blends plenty of gore and British humor while making a smart social commentary. Pegg and Frost are so funny together, and this film has many witty, sarcastic dialogues and hilarious moments that will make you laugh hard.
Matt G

January 21, 2011
Simon Pegg's first appearance since his hit show Spaced, showed us how to laugh at zombies.
Page 1 of 1986