Shaun of the Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Page 2 of 1994
February 6, 2016
Part 1 of the great Cornetto Trilogy-a beautiful start to a wonderful trilogy
½ November 25, 2015
Classic Pegg and Frost, would definitely recommend a watch.
½ January 31, 2016
Possibly the best zombie movie I've ever seen.
½ March 14, 2008
In terms of zombie comedy movies, I prefer Zombieland. But this one was pretty clever and charming in its own right.
½ October 21, 2015
Shaun of the Dead is hilarious and so much fun to watch, it is one of my favorite zombie movies and comedy movies.
August 30, 2015
Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are Awesome! It's damn hilarious not like the shitty american popular kids movies that are not funny at all. this movie is the perfect example to go watch it. i have to agree with the critics, I did miss Hot Fuzz but already have this on DVD. Simon Pegg is my Favourite Comedien and Edgar Wright is one of my favourite Directors of all time.

My Score Opinion: 97/100
January 15, 2016
Shaun of the Dead is Edgar Wright's first entry into his highly acclaimed "Cornetto Trilogy". Shaun of the Dead stars Simon Pegg and Nick Frost as well as Bill Nighy, Lucy David and Kate Ashfield. The performances from Pegg and Frost could solely drive the film based off of their chemistry and humour, but the editing of the film is where a lot of the real comedy is seen. Wright has such a unique way of approaching filmmaking such as quick edits, and emphasizing the boring actions characters are performing through the film. This movie is a masterpiece, whether it be the subtle one liners or the quick edits or just the interaction between characters and seeing their body language and facial reactions to some of the things being said/seen. Shaun of the Dead is a beautiful, comedic, and amazingly written film and shows why Edgar Wright is one of the best working directors today.
January 12, 2016
Another of the essential zombie classics to see, really good, i ask myself why i didn't see it before !! It perfectly blends in comedy with zombie gore, and has a nice reference to the Romero films, especially Dawn of the Dead. The acting is very good and the characters are all well developed. It takes a while to develop though, but it's a lot of fun once it get's going. Recommended !!
½ January 10, 2016
possessed of an offbeat and forthright energy that charms the audience. but the plot is too weak and plodding, giving most the jokes little momentum to accomplish fruition. there is not even a special message or discernible theme. it's a quintessentially british viewing but nothing more: a hopeless and unvaried tangle.
January 9, 2016
Una de las comedias más interesantes de los últimos años. Cuenta con un guión realmente sólido e inteligente, y que precisamente no toma a los espectadores como unos simplones que solo saben reírse de chiste de "culos" y "tetas" o slapstick del burdo. No, Edgar Wright, demostró con su opera prima que sabe como trabajar guión y más importante aún, plasmarlo luego en la pantalla.

Las interpretaciones además, lideran el señor Simon Pegg, son sin duda otro de los puntos fuertes de esta obra recomendada no solo a los fans del terror, sino a aquellos que buscan que una comedia les cuente algo más.
½ January 2, 2015
A whiny millennial movie...badly overrated. Full of limies.
January 5, 2016
Blending the genres of horror and comedy together is done well on occasion, but more often it is done poorly, especially when you look at the "Scary Movie" franchise which parodies contemporary horror films by referencing them directly and making surface level jokes out of the situations. Luckily, with Shaun of the Dead, we get an intelligent comedy which is original in style and clever with its treatment of a zombie outbreak.

We all know the concept of the zombie movie. A curse, or a sickness, or radioactivity etc. causes the dead to "live again" to feed on the flesh and brains of living human beings. Most of the time they are slow walkers which is the case of Shaun of the Dead. Wright takes this concept and makes comparisons between the outbreak and normal life for Shaun. A motif shot used in the film focuses on Shaun slowly getting out of bed in the morning, walking in a zombie-like fashion towards the door while yawning in a way very similar to the noise zombies tend to make. The average working-class man is like a zombie in a swarm: lazy, conforming to and blending in with the rest of the swarm, and insignificant compared to the swarm as a whole.

2 long takes that are done early in the film also compare society in a normal universe to one filled with zombies. Shaun is nonchalant in both of these sequences when he walks to a convenience store to buy a few items - he does not notice the difference, but in the first sequence he interacts with people a little more than in the second, but it seems that he really does not care about his surroundings too much, even though they change drastically in the second sequence when the zombie outbreak has already begun.

While this is a zombie movie and is gruesome at some moments with guts and blood, the zombie violence seems more cartoonish than disturbing. The comedy in this movie outweighs the horror in this film in every fashion, including the violence.

This film is solid on pacing and editing. While it seems to have an average pace at first, it really picks up once the zombies become a problem in the film. The editing is really interesting, making simple actions feel intense by using quick cuts between closeups which force us into the "action." Wright also has an interesting way of putting action scenes in sync exactly to the music in the background. In fact, a scene involving action to the rhythm of a song by Queen proves to be on of the best in the film.

The story itself could be a little more interesting to be honest. We never get a thorough explanation of what causes the zombie outbreak, though this film does not feel like it needs one. The story revolving around Shaun and his friends and family is very straightforward - Shaun goes through a breakup early on, but tries to become a hero for his ex and for his family once he realizes the scale of the situation.

Good comedy and a few unexpectedly well-done dramatic moments make this film enjoyable to watch.

3.0/4.0
½ May 7, 2013
Top 5 en el ranking de mejores comedias que vi en mi vida.
½ January 3, 2016
A fantastic comedy, and a fantastic zombie film. Using these elements, it creates one of my favorite horror comedies of all time.
½ December 29, 2015
Witty, funny, and a gem in the zombie genre, Shaun of the Dead is the first movie in The Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy and it is truly an entertaining flick to watch. Its your basic zombie apocalypse plot and it does no wrong. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are hilarious. I can't see any other actors in this movie because the play the parts so well. The constant banter between the two and situations they get into are really funny. Another nice thing about the movie is that it is well paced and has the perfect run time. The best thing about the film is how it balances the gore and comedy. There's a bunch of fun smashing, killing, and run away scenes for everyone to enjoy. Overall Shaun of the Dead is a fun movie to watch. Is it the best comedy out there or most original story? No, but its what the film does to make it funnier and different from the rest that make Shaun of the Dead a classic.
January 2, 2016
There's only one way to descriibe it: Pure Fun!
½ December 22, 2015
Shaun of the Dead achieves in its ability to provide a simple vehicle for its star's brand of surreal, ridiculous black humor. Riffing on zombie movies and other aspects of popular culture, this film is wholly original in its comedy and entertaining in its ability to riff on our cultural zeitgeist for hearty laughs. Where it triumphs is its refusal to wholly drown itself in such derivative comedy, but merely use it as a springboard for a hearty tale of friendship.
December 16, 2015
one of my all time favorite movies, and my favorite zombie movie
December 6, 2015
Best. Zombie. Movie. Ever.
½ November 11, 2015
the first time I saw it, I was laughing a lot at the same time I was scary as hell.
Page 2 of 1994