• Directed By:
    Frank Darabont
    In Theaters:
    Sep 10, 1994 Wide
    On DVD:
    Jan 27, 1998
  • Columbia Pictures

Small Error in Film

This is one of my all-time favorite movies.

However, I though it would have been better if it was left for the viewer to decide whether Andy actually killed his wife.

The error I refer to is that Andy states that he was an honest man - "straight as an arrow". But at the beginning of the movie they show him drinking and driving and holding a gun and insinuates that he was thinking about killing his wife.
Mark Wilson
03-7-2013 12:41 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Les C.

Les Caldera

YOUR POINT IS DUMB THE WHOLE MOVIE IS ABOUT CHEERING FOR AN INNOCENT MAN

Jun 21 - 10:23 PM

Vishnu Prasanna

Vishnu Prasanna

i think another character in the movie confesses of killing Andy's wife and a golf pro.

Mar 29 - 02:44 AM

Ocram Immorto

Ocram Immorto

But that's the point, you don't know exactly what happened with all the theories that are all on same level of convenience, it's a paradox that IS actually left for the audience to decide. What mattered was Andy wanting to be a free man, having learned his lesson, contributing to giving the prison a healthy reputation in towards the beginning. But now figuring out and seeing how the warden himself had become over the passing years, he figures it's time to leave. The point was we're all flawed people, and sooner or later the prisoners in the film are gonna end up learning their lessons in whatever way comes to them. Only this would happen well way before they're even allowed to be released on parole. And so it shows what prison does to people, and that's another reason why Andy needed to get out, he wasn't gonna end up like Brooks. At the same time he had to expose Samuel Norton's crimes.

Apr 4 - 12:22 PM

Jijo Sunny

Jijo Sunny

I cannot agree with you about leaving it to the viewers about whether Andy was a murderer or not.
The whole story has a base on Andy's innocence. The movie ain't gonna be perfect if Andy was the real murderer. Also think about the number of great scenes that would've been removed if Andy wasn't innocent!

Mar 23 - 11:58 AM

Peter Fernandes

Peter Fernandes

You can not calling it as an error...I agree you they should have let the viewers decide about him a murderer or not? But there is nothing clearly shown that he actually kills his wife or not..

Mar 9 - 12:36 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile