—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Sherlock Holmes Reviews

John M

December 21, 2009
Enjoyed it thoroughly!! took me back to my childhood fascination with the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movies as I tried to deduce everything as Holmes did lol. A fun solid modern adaptation of a great character.
garyX
garyX

December 21, 2009
Holmes and Watson prevent the dastardly murder of an innocent girl during a satanic ritual, but when the would be murderer seems to come back from the grave the dynamic duo seem to have met their match....RockNRolla was a strong indication that the Ritchie formula was starting to wear a little thin, but the reinvention of Sherlock Holmes as a hard-drinking, bare knuckle brawling geezer was ringing some serious alarm bells with me (especially since the trailer made it look like Van Helsing 2). Thankfully, Robert Downey Jr. pulls out all the stops to make the character an infectious, eccentric cross between Doctor Who and Indiana Jones, and somehow it works brilliantly. He is perfectly complimented by Jude Law who shares great chemistry with his co-star making them a real Butch And Sundance of Victorian London. Their on screen partnership also has more than a little in common with the Cary Grant/Rosalind Russell pairing in His Girl Friday meaning Rachel McAdams is also on hand to provide the eye candy and stop them from looking too gay. It is a bit guilty of Pirate-izing the material, but the hokey hoodoo never gets too out of hand and the result is a hugely enjoyable comic strip romp that's everything The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen should have been, but wasn't.
Stuart B

January 8, 2010
Good movie, good casting and fun to watch. Is nothing new and maybe not as good as the BBC TV series on around the same time, but is a fair enough attempt at the original theme.
The Gandiman
The Gandiman

January 6, 2010
Watchable "Holmes" weighed down by elementary mystery. A puzzling disappointment.
Wildaly M

April 19, 2010
Entertaining.
Daniel P

July 20, 2012
As I find myself saying about Guy Ritchie more and more often: I didn't love it. I thought Downey and Law had solid chemistry, but they were a little too campy, and the action - when it happened - seemed too much on the frantic side. They're a classic tandem, but they're turned up to 11 - which if you've read the novels, you know is nothing like the considered Holmes and Watson you find there. The slow-motion piecing together of details in Holmes's mind was interesting on film, though; too bad it's even more heavy-handed in this medium than in print. Pure entertainment, which is at once its best and worst feature.
Zach B

July 4, 2012
I might as well say that I am a man that has read his own fair share of Sherlock Holmes tales and has seen quite a few interpretations of the famous detective. With me, his brain and his powers of deduction have been something of a complete influence on my life as I strive to be more like him and it is easy to see that both Guy Ritchie and Robert Downey Jr. have tried to do so and what we get from them is a version of Holmes that is like the original character, yet refreshing to watch. Sherlock Holmes is timeless and always will be, but what this film does is brings the character up to date and sets it in something of a steampunk like setting (well, has the influence with the overall look). One of the main advantages that this film has is that it is not really based off of any particular, but goes back to the characters, uses certain ones from various tales, and creates a fresh, and in some respects original plot. Now, this is a plus because when watching this film, if it was a strict retelling of any of the original stories, then it would not really have worked. There is something inherently Victorian about Sherlock Holmes, and having him now be in turn of the century England, it helps a great deal with how he is presented: an alcoholic, Bohemian in style, basic lunatic half of the time while having more gadgets then I can even remember. But what sells this film, more than anything else, is the performances of Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law. The chemistry between these two constantly had me laughing from start to finish because of how close they are. In the books, it was hinted at that there was something of a 'bromance' between the two of them, but they kept things strictly professional. Here, there is really nothing professional and what we get is one of the most humorous, refreshing teams I have seen in a long while. With Downey, he has basically been playing this character for some time: sarcastic, a tad bit insane, but all together completely unique. But what sells the performance even more is with how he takes some of Holmes's trademark qualities (antisocial, never fits well with the public, no one really understanding him) and breathes new life into them. Plus, there is just a subtle dark humor quality that does lighten the mood of the film up. In short, this is a dark, brooding film and if it was not for the odd humor it would be something of a bore to sit through. With Judd Law, I have seen him in some films, but here he feels more at home by playing a Watson I have been expecting and wanting: willing to do anything for Holmes, but is questioning why he does so. This is mainly shown halfway into the film where we start to see Watson wanting to leave this life and to have something of a regular life with a wife and maybe some demon spawns. I am not that familiar with the films of Guy Ritchie, but Sherlock Holmes is easily one of the most entertaining films I have seen from 2011. The main reason why this works is due to the wit of the script, the chemistry between the leads, and how Ritchie does update the film for modern times. I might as well say this now: never expect a straight adaption of Holmes for it probably will never work. With the way films are now a days, the way people want crime tales, Holmes is best left alone and in the original stories and novels. But should he be attempted to bring to the screen, this is how it needs to be done.
Stephen M

April 1, 2012
If I'm honest, this was better than anticipated. Yes, it's a bit of a hollow spectacle, but it's none the less enjoyable for that. My main concern was that Guy Ritchie's flashy style might render the art and costume departments' marvellous period evocation of Victorian London a waste of time and effort. I needn't have worried, however, and to be fair to Ritchie some of his flourishes - in particular, a balletically beautiful series of slow-motion explosions at a dockside warehouse - are the stand-out moments. I could have done with a little less action and a little more ratiocination though.

There's also something decidedly odd about the relationship between Holmes and Watson, who share surprisingly less time on screen together than one might expect. If you go back to the original Conan Doyle stories, wild horses couldn't generally keep Watson away from an investigation, but in Ritchie's film, as played by Jude Law, one gets the feeling that there's always somewhere else the good doctor would rather be. Okay, to a certain extent he's only feigning disinterest to punish Holmes for his boorish attitude toward his fiancée, but it doesn't exactly whet the viewer's enthusiasm for events to come when the hero's sidekick is only present under sufferance. Let's just say this is less of a buddy movie than it might have been.

I was also mildly irritated by how squarely the production is aimed at the American box office. I certainly don't begrudge Robert Downey Jr. the role of Holmes, but you may notice that aside from Holmes, Watson and Rachel McAdams' plucky Irene Adler, the only person who stands up to Mark Strong's villain happens to be the U.S. Ambassador to Great Britain. And what of Strong's dastardly scheme? Does he want to assassinate Queen Victoria, or maybe poison the nation's tea supply? No, of course he doesn't; he wants to recapture the United States for the British Empire. The fiend!
Kase V

December 30, 2011
Guy Ritchie's first film in this interesting franchise is a force of nature. Downey plays the character with such ease, and the impressive camera work spread throughout is nothing short of awesome. I applaud Ritchie for making such an entertaining action-adventure film out of such a difficult subject.
Alexander D

June 29, 2011
When watching a film of such a nature, itâ(TM)s hard not for two thoughts to cross your mind: One, B and C are merely insipid excuses to use artistic film editing techniques. The zooming and panning techniques used to create SHERLOCK HOLMES are those that would only be found in a stylish title sequence (which this also lacks), and the repitition of the method is overwhelming. Two, is this an adaptation of the work of Conan Doyle or Ian Fleming? In all seriousness, I waited the whole film for Downey, Jr. to ask for a vodka martini, shaken, not stirred. The acrophobic sequence near the end is almost a duplicate of a similar scene in the beginning in 2006â²s CASINO ROYALE, and Downey, Jr. had that too-familiar charm.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

April 3, 2009
what a pleasant surprise. i expected to hate this film, and i really enjoyed it. the film was not without major problems. while i love the bourne series, this film is an example of the only unfortunate side to living in a post bourne world. this film could have been much better if ritchie had resisted the urge to "bournize" his characters. instead of the mythological holmes we already know, love, and would have rather seen, ritchie ditched much of doyle's creation and gave us sherlock holmes-action star! this was not a good move. aside from this unfortunate reinvention of the character, the film was incredibly enjoyable. the performers were solid, the story entertaining, and the cinematography and art direction were perfect for this sort of film. after a rewatch the film actually improves, although the wrap up at the end is a bit too neat.
KJ P

January 11, 2010
Sherlock Holmes is a stylistic take on a classic character, and it really works. As Lord Blackwood rises from his grave, he is on the loose, creating many obstacles for Holmes (and his partner Watson) to beat. The story is very well told, the writing is perfect, the cinematography is noticeably well-crafted, and the action is pretty good. The only downfall of this film is that the characters are already in pursuit and know what they are doing, we never really get backstories for either of the leads, which would have been a very nice touch. At times the film seems to drag on, but in the end, it is a very entertaining and action-packed, "old-time" detective picture. Sherlock Holmes is a hit!
Everett J

December 15, 2011
great version of the old classic...Downey Jr. is the coolest actor alive,,
zach l.
zach l.

December 15, 2011
Sherlock Holmes is nothing less then an entertaining blockbuster. Action packed and mysertious, Sherlock Holmes is a satisfying movie with a great performance by Robert Downey Jr.
paul o.
paul o.

December 14, 2011
Phantom Camera + Guy Ritchie + Robert Downey Jr = Entertaining blockbuster.

Mark strong and Jude Law play great support actors and the story isn't so much complex as it is fun and hilarious. Its solid but not exactly the most memorable film.

A step away from the gangster films, Guy Ritchie takes a leap to a different genre and lands on his two feet.
Nathan H.
Nathan H.

December 13, 2011
Holmes is back, and he's reincarnate for the twenty-first century. Robert Downey Jr. plays the charming and unique detective as he is thrown into a conspiracy by his "forever" love. Great storyline, compeling characters, and interesting directing, Sherlock Holmes will keep you entertained to the last scene.
Kristijonas F

October 24, 2011
Guy Ritchie, labeled as the British Quentin Tarantino by many, has a keen fondness for churning out humorous, off-kilter, character-driven English gangster films year after year; so many, in fact, that his passion for them has come at the expense of originality (There are only so many ways to tell one story - a conundrum Mr. Ritchie seems to have figured out). Thus, it was essential for the director to find a new platform to branch out from - and I'd say the Sherlock Holmes reboot is a hell of a decision. Admittedly, Mr. Ritchie may have been too a kinetic of a director to bring the famous detective to life - as the film surely contradicts the subtlety of the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle novels. Nevertheless, the film is well shot, action-packed, brilliantly acted and witty enough to please even the most loyal Guy Ritchie fan (Although you can actually understand the British accents in this one).
Jennifer X

July 29, 2011
All the characters do in this movie is mutter to each other and have dastardly sword fights. Not my British cup of tea, thank you very much.
Drake T

July 12, 2011
It's a refreshingly gritty, fun, stylistic and action based take on the otherwise dreary, monotone, intellectually stifling character.

The end product is a fun, entertaining experience that fans of the original concept may find too "flashy" but hey! I'm all for exciting re-imaginings. Although I do see how turning Holmes into "just another" action-hero somewhat demeaning it never forgets to retain those qualities of wit, charm and "intellect" that pull the film through.

In the end, it's not remotely as dumb and brainless as it could've been. Why remake something if we aren't going to mix it up? A bold and successful move.