Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows Reviews

Jonathan B ½ October 18, 2014
Very well done. It felt like it didn't miss a beat, and everything was as you'd expect, clever, witty, and very well though out. I'd have to struggle a good deal to find a flaw in it. Loved it from beginning, 'til end.
Chris E October 13, 2014
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows is a predictable, at times boring movie with a weak story and although it has a good sense of humor about itself, it dosen't deliver good action scenes and has one of the most boring climaxes I've seen in a long time. It's certantly an improvement over it's predecessor, but that's not saying much.
Barry H October 9, 2014
Nice movie but these aren't the Holmes and Watson of the books, not even remotely. I liked the original better than this one.
Jeffrey N ½ October 9, 2014
My expectations werent necessarily low, but I was very pleasantly surprised by how brilliantly written, meticulously directed and fantastically edited this better-than-the-original sequel was. Critic response hasnt been very positive, so I expected some level of disappointment, but I left disappointed in the lack of praise this movie has received. The cast is downright perfect, as it was the last time, but what improved this version over the extremely wonderful predecessor was the extensive insight into Sherlock's detective mind, something I considered lacking in the original. The relationship between Holmes and Watson was more deeply built, as was Holmes' relationship with his adversary. Moriarty was a perfect counterpart and a joy to finally see on screen. Other than the length, I have very, very little criticism of this intellectually stimulating, action-packed feast for the senses. The getaway scene from the armory was enough to praise Ritchie, and this is coming from a not-so-interested-in-action-movies kind of guy. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows is a masterpiece in a genere not often represented or respected.
Aodhan R October 3, 2014
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows continues the adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson. They face a new opponent called Moriarty, the arch nemesis of Holmes. Moriarty and his conspiracy will set Holmes and Watson on a mission to France to investigate the murder of the Prince of Austria. A murder, believed to have been suicide, until Holmes unveils that it's in fact a murder carried out by Moriarty. The stakes are high as are the risks, but how will Holmes overcome his most mightiest foe yet?

Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law return, with the addition of newcomers: Jared Harris, Noomi Rapace and Stephen Fry.

It's well casted, brilliantly performed and written. Although, the original had better dialogue that went well with it's story.
Don S ½ October 3, 2014
Just not impressed with The way Holmes is portrayed in this series. Too much action hero and not enough intellect. The story here is not very interesting, however the effects and the pacing were to my liking. This could have used a lot more Rachel McAdams, but Noomi Rapace played her character well enough. (I kept thinking that Kat von D would have been great in the role as well); not enough here to recommend. Should they make a third, I will probably skip it.
Rip V December 9, 2013
Guy Ritchie tried to overcome the detective's prequel by adding more intense action scenes, but this ended as the vanishing point of a plot with more substance. Nevertheless, the main characters are still fresh and they were able to hold the film in its worst moments.
finlaybuchanan finlaybuchanan June 30, 2011
Not quite as good as the first but enjoyable nonetheless.
John Eric D. John Eric D. ½ September 29, 2014
Am I excited for the sequel? Yes definitely. Did I enjoy it? Yes I do, with mixed emotions though. Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes sequel is much over the top than the first one. I really enjoyed the first half of it, it's being funny again. But then I thought they overused much of Sherlock's mind visionaries of zooming flashbacks from time to time. Though its more action packed than before, but I feel there's a lot of spectacles of camera angles and slow motions which conclude to a weird pacing. Less slick neither less creative than the first one but still this is the Sherlock Holmes in a big time block buster that we expected. A better climax would be necessary as well.
Brad S ½ September 28, 2014
So Professor Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes nemesis) is trying to start a world war in an effort to make a lot of money by profiting from the sale of weapons.
This version of Sherlock Holmes feels more like James Bond. Instead of solving a murder Holmes is globe trotting trying to save the world from certain destruction at the hands of a super villain.
Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law a great choices for Holmes and Watson respectively, but it just doesn't feel right. Ritchie is giving us a glammed up Holmes that strikes me as odd.
It's also very hard not to compare it to the BBC series which unquestionably does a much better job of capturing the spirit of Sherlock Holmes.
hipsterfilmreviews hipsterfilmreviews December 31, 2011
I know this isn't really a critique of the movie, but it bothers me when movies aren't true to what they're copying. They made Holmes a friggin manic person, who's all silly and bouncy all the time. That just the opposite of Sherlock Holmes. Not particularly engaging, and knows it. They have routinely attention grabbing lines, to keep trying after my brain had wandered off. Characters are meant to be entertaining, not to be characters.
Giovanni M. Giovanni M. September 14, 2014
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows is just as bad-ass as its predecessor and replicates everything the first one did right equally.
John C November 11, 2011
The plot is frantic, convoluted, and extremely confusing, but key scenes with absolutely extraordinary visuals and jaw dropping action, as well as the icing on the cake of the final intellectual battle between Holmes and Moriarty makes this not highly recommended, but very recommended.
Serena S ½ September 13, 2014
Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law portray a brilliant version of this classic tale. Brilliant.
Bethany E. Bethany E. September 12, 2014
I always remember this movie being confusing. But it's Sherlock Holmes, so I better watch it again and reevaluate that opinion.
Kyle M April 30, 2011
Good as the predecessor with the same fine performances and visuals, but better with more to add in their qualities. (A-)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording)
Ronald F ½ May 21, 2013
Not your typical Sherlock story, I like the characters and the events. Downey makes Sherlock Homes his own character. It is very entertaining and a good family flix
simon h ½ March 1, 2011
better than the first one but not by much Moriarty was a dissapointment to me but i seem to be in the minority on that one
The Tornado The Tornado ½ January 11, 2014
An improvement over its predecessor. Once again, I really liked Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock Holmes, but I especially love Jared Harris as Moriarty, which is a much better villain than Mark Strong's.
John B December 26, 2013
Excellent action packed thought involving movie.