Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows Reviews

July 27, 2014
Some viewers (like me) may enjoy more it than the original thanks to the great set pieces, and the returning cast, now joined by Jared Harris portraying Holmes' nemesis, and more importantly, pulling him off
July 18, 2015
extra point just for authentic design, sets, wardrobe
½ January 19, 2012
Not as good as the first one. Largely forgettable.
June 3, 2015
Robert is still charming.
June 18, 2012
A worthy sequel to the commercially successful original, A Game of Shadows has an interesting premise in it's roots and Dr. Moriarty (though the casting choice is questionable) is a relatively good villainous match to Mark Strong's. Downey is once again more than exceptional in the role, seeming a little more comfortable in this film. Both Law and Downey are superb together on screen. Rooney (Swedish Dragon Tattoo) is also a good addition as well. The Action is top notch once again, but this time it seems it is used just a wee bit too much. But all in all, the story is a little less focused, some of the fun that we found when Ritchie took a break from the action scenes in the original are a-miss, and it seems as though Guy Ritchie banked a little too much on the frentic action scenes. The premise seems to ignore any of the engaging mystery of the original also, and this is something I missed. Overall I found A Game of Shadows to be a fun summer popcorn flick that lives up to the hype of the original...somewhat...
June 1, 2015
Much of this movie reminds me of recent Sherlock episodes, but with more action and not quite as good writing. Jude Law's Watson is almost identical to Martin Freeman's in a lot of ways, voice included. Even the music is similar in parts. Of course, overall the series is quite different, especially the portrayal of Sherlock himself. The biggest problem with this movie, is that even though it's a fun adventure, there's very little mystery or suspense typically associated with the character. Very little demonstration of Sherlock's intellect, beyond simply his fighting skills. It was fun watching this again after I had seen BBC's Sherlock though, since I was able to appreciate some of the side characters better than during my initial viewing. Still a fun movie, though flawed.

73%
½ May 31, 2015
Even though it's not quite at the level of its predecessor, it delivers more of the same, which makes for another entertaining entry in the franchise.
May 24, 2015
way worse than first one
½ May 9, 2015
Although it maintains the original action scenes that impressed in the original it falls far short of delivering the originality of the humorous, witty script as well as dragging on with boring, overlong scenes and too much going on to grasp without questioning. Should've left the first one alone, really. (67%)
½ April 26, 2015
I didn't watch this film in the theater. I watched it recently because I really liked the first Sherlock Holmes, which had such a distinctive directorial style and feel. Plus, I really like Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law. The plot of this film was less fun than the original. It seemed too contrived. I also thought Downey Jr. was hamming it up too much and Prof. Moriarty was too pedestrian and not sufficiently "evil genius" enough. And these days, the visual elements of the film don't seem as unusual and fresh as they did in 2009 or 2010 when the first Sherlock Holmes film came out. Still it was fun to watch the movie at home.
April 24, 2015
Suspenseful, clever, well acted, good approach of the theme and stunning visuals with a dark athmosphere, Sherlock Holmes bring to us a different point of view of crime scenes making this an excepcional movie.
April 24, 2015
July 15, 2011
It's all-around just too likable to be considered only adequate, mostly thanks to Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law, but complicated dialogue and dizzying CGI break-downs are it's obstacles.
½ September 12, 2011
In many ways this is a prototypical sequel. The steampunk premise of the original is stretched thin and mostly moved to the final act. There is not much of a mystery to be deduced, it is more of an adventure plot with Sherlock finding clues that lead to an obvious place. There is a huge emphasis on action sequences. What it does retain, luckily, is the wonderful personality of the first installment and the distinctive panache of Guy Ritchie, whose talents shine through yet again. Also the addictive score. So it is probably not quite as good as the first, but certainly worth two hours of your time.
March 29, 2015
El gran problema con la secuela del Holmes de Ritchie es que el director no sabe qué es lo que hacía tan interesante de la primera.

Lejos de perpetuar esa estética y entidad propia (que está presente en algunos momentos, pero mucho más diluida), se centra en ser otra película bombástica y espectacular.

Además de que no sabe emplear elementos interesantes de la trama como son los sentimientos de Holmes por Watson, y el peligro que Moriarti supone para la vida de Watson al ser el talón de Aquiles de Holmes.

Por no decir que apenas hay un misterio que sea relevante, que nos intrigue, al menos no como en la anterior.

Esto resulta en una película mucho más insustancial de lo que podría haber sido y en un Moriarti que no está tan altura de lo esperado, aunque esté genialmente interpretado por Jared Harris.

Por cierto, Robert Downey Jr está tan desatado que me hace preguntarme hasta que punto Ritchie estaba realmente dirigiéndolo
½ March 24, 2015
This is a very visual film, with many scenes involving little or no dialogue. This was a problem for me when I watched it because I was also ironing clothes at the same time. So I found the plot a bit hard to follow. The visual style was quite distinctive, trying to get inside Sherlock Holmes's head and see things the way he does. Holmes notices minor objects and zooms in on them, then in his mind's eye he imagines how those objects could have come to be there. He also visualizes how fights with the bad guys will play out (a technique brought forward from the first film in this series). There is also a mix of sped up action and ultra-slow-motion scenes. Downey Jr. and Law make a good team as Holmes and Watson, but I still find it jarring to see them as fist-fighting detectives. It could have used less effort on the visual style and little more on a coherent plot.
October 20, 2010
Just as good as the original.
½ November 15, 2013
A Game of Shadows is as good as the original. Robert Downey Jr. is back and better than ever as the super sleuth Sherlock Holmes, as well as Jude Law. The two again do a great job, and the rest of the cast does as well. This movie improves on the villain, with an equally smart and devious Professor Moriarty. The movie is interesting and well made, if again too overly complex in its plotting. But everything adds up the way it should, and there isn't much character building. The action sequences, particularly a forest chase scene are great and riveting. The movie is fun and intriguing, if occasionally getting lost in its own plot devices. Sherlock Holmes; A Game of Shadows gets 3.5/5 stars (B).
February 19, 2015
An enjoyable action movie, which even though it strays far from the stories and characters of Conan Doyle, manages somehow to stay true to the spirit of the stories. Or maybe I'm just fond of the quite obvious connection between Downey Jr and Law. Anyway, an enjoyable romp with some good acting and a rather poor plot.