32% The Other Woman Apr 25

—— The Soul Man: Season 3
—— Suburgatory: Season 3

Sherlock Holmes and the Woman in Green Reviews

November 27, 2013
Even the return of Moriarty can't lift this Sherlock Holmes into the above average status. It has some good moments but has been hideously overrated on RT. Nowhere near as strong as the earlier films.
August 6, 2012
Holmes Versus Moriarty, Round Three--Strange Crimes & Worthy Adversaries For Holmes!!
July 29, 2012
A perfectly appropriate installment in the magnificent good-old series about the world's most famous detective. Basil Rathbone shines on screen, while Nigel Bruce gives the whole story a decent comedic touch. Someone is ruthlessly killing women and dismembering their fingers. The whole purpose of those actions need to be deduced, and quickly, by no one other than Mr. Holes. Strong case, many twists and engaging storyline make this a very satisfying entry in the franchise. And Henry Daniell makes a devilish professor Moriarty, Holmes' most deceptive enemy of them all.
July 21, 2012
fun and entertaining
April 17, 2012
Interesting and suspenseful film, but falls apart near the end.
March 31, 2012
I love the Sherlock Holmes films with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce quite a bit, but The Woman in Green is a slight step back to me in terms of story quality. For one, the emphasis turns out to be mainly on Moriarty's use of hypnotism, instead of the more intriguing 'modern day Jack the Ripper' plot thread that turns out to be a red herring of sorts. I'm not saying that Moriarty shouldn't have been involved with the story, but this one feels a little bit forced, and doesn't seem to flow as well as some of the others. It's still enjoyable, but not quite fulfilling enough.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

December 15, 2011
moviebuff18cab
March 2, 2008
SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE WOMAN IN GREEN (1945)
T.S.M.
December 25, 2010
Less satisfying on second viewing - I'm sorta mystified as to why I held it in such high regard. It might have something to do with Henry Daniell as Moriarty, who plays the role so damn cold. It might have been a definitive Moriarty, if he'd been given any real screentime of note. Even the scene he shares with Rathbone (two Warner villains collide!) is far too brief. Still, a solid enough story, and quite a nifty plot in some ways.
BeccaDanielle
July 24, 2010
This is my favourite Sherlock Holmes movie.
Monsieur Rick
May 9, 2010
Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce were never my favorite crime duo. Nigel acted so stupid and Basil so stereotypical Holmes. Jeremy Brett was my favorite from the PBS series.

That said, this is a watchable if sometimes laughable film. Seeing glamour gal woman in green scene lost it for me.

Anyway this b&w classic was released on VHS long before DVD.

RT did the details:

RT Synopsis: When four women are found murdered--each missing their right forefinger--a baffled Scotland Yard calls in master sleuth Sherlock Holmes (Basil Rathbone) and his faithful cohort Dr. Watson (Nigel... When four women are found murdered--each missing their right forefinger--

a baffled Scotland Yard calls in master sleuth Sherlock Holmes (Basil Rathbone) and his faithful cohort Dr. Watson (Nigel Bruce) to help crack the case.

Believing the murders to be the work of a criminal mastermind, Holmes follows the trail to a society of hypnotists and a mysterious, beautiful woman named Lydia Marlow (Hillary Brooke).

It isn't long before Holmes discovers a web of hypnosis and blackmail that leads him to his archenemy, the evil Professor Moriarty (Henry Daniell), who lures the detective into a dangerous trance from which he may never awake.

Based on the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle story "The Empty House," THE WOMAN IN GREEN marks the last of the classic Rathbone films to be penned by Holmes regular Bertram Millhauser.--- RT synopsis (not mine)
Sunil J

March 27, 2010
Interesting but placing a lot of the blame on hypnotism was a bit sill. Glad that Moriarty was mainly responsible though.
majguanzon
January 25, 2010
An enjoyable movie. One of the lighter, truly-watchable ones in the series!
Hamee
December 7, 2009
Another great from the master of sleuthing.
Ken D

December 9, 2009
This was something that I really tried to get into but it just wasn't as good as I expected. I plan on watching some more of these with Basil Rathbone as I heard that these movies were pretty good. This was alright, with some decent acting, but I thought that this could have and should have been better.
Anastasia B

November 3, 2009
I found this review by dhetteix rather useful:

"this particular outing for Holmes is a bit of a letdown.
To be sure, the themes of Hypnotism and serial-killing are out-and-out Doyle, but the inclusion of Moriarty, seemingly included for effect, merely softens the plot by introducing a major character for a somewhat brief caper.

The film starts strong, yet ends predictably, with none of Holmes' deductive reasoning being revealed. Whilst strong in all other ways, the movie thus forgets the first rule of a Mystery plot: to remain mysterious."
insideaway
May 5, 2007
Rathbone makes for a very charismatic Holmes and even Bruce makes a decent job of his unappealing role as a bumbling idiot of a Watson. The pace of the film is extremely rushed and makes everything feels forced, although that might actually be a good thing in this out of time piece. Keep your eyes peeled for the single canon shoutout, as this movie is not for book fans.
DrLappos
DrLappos

July 15, 2009
Despite the hugely camp nature of their relationship I couldnt help but love the way in which Rathbone and Bruce worked together in theses detective movies...Superb and still watchable now..
AnjoDePernasTortas
June 24, 2009
This was the first Sherlock Holmes movie with the duo Rathbone/Bruce that I saw and I wasn't totally happy with it. They could have done more with it if the movie was a bit longer. Now some things had to be rushed and felt unnaturally. The story itself was quite entertaining and Rathbone did a fine job portraying Holmes. The humor of Bruce was a welcoming change to the seriousness of Rathbone. Henry Daniell was good as Moriarty although I found the part of where he comes to Holmes' house pretty hard to believe. Hillary Brooke was even better as Lydia, 'the woman in green'. But I felt they should have mentioned once that she wore green, nothing in the whole movie explains the title really.