Sherlock Holmes' Fatal Hour (The Sleeping Cardinal) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sherlock Holmes' Fatal Hour (The Sleeping Cardinal) Reviews

½ October 26, 2010
Arthur Wontner as Holmes and Ian Fleming as the reliable Watson are here in the earliest example of a Sherlock Holmes movie that I have seen. And this is Wontner's first appearance as the great detective. Compared to their later portrayals, which seemed to get lazier, I liked this mystery film from earlier in the 30's. Again the time period is moved up, but the style of the early 30's didn't bother me as much as the style of the later 30's in some other films. Visually the use of shadows and striking beams of light in a few tense scenes made for more interest in the mystery. Watching Holmes slowly uncover the clues and work to outsmart his nemesis proved the script was better to begin with for this who-done-it. It still seems a little odd the way Holmes talks about Moriarty like a conspiracy theorist that everyone doubts. That seems more like a movie creation than coming from the exciting words of Arthur Conan Doyle.
November 18, 2012
No great but this is also film history for it's time.