Shi san tai bao (The Heroic Ones) (Thirteen Warlords) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shi san tai bao (The Heroic Ones) (Thirteen Warlords) Reviews

DragonEyeMorrison
½ October 8, 2007
Starts well, but gets a bit messier towards the end, way too much characters and little time spend with most of them. David Chiang never convinced me as a leading man.

If you're looking for solid Chang Cheh flicks try New One Armed Swordsman, Five Deadly Venoms, Vengeance among others.
½ February 23, 2013
Starts really slow, but the last half of the movie is pretty epic. Unfortunately, the DVD subtitles were awful so I had to listen to the slightly less awful dub so I could understand what's going on. This isn't even a bootleg, but it seems like they just put the Chinese script into Google translate and then timed it... poorly.
½ May 27, 2013
76%
This is a brutal film, a film with a slow start but kicks on pace and violence as it goes to the second half. Almost all of the main characters die in this film. This is not a fun film and unlike most Chinese films of the modern era, this does not have any comedy element. David Chang plays one of the 13 warlords. They are men who are like brothers to the king. His favourite among them is the character played by Lung Ti. David Chang as always is adorable and great. Envy develops among few of the lords and they conspire against Chang. Thus the film takes epic plot twists into an epic conclusion.
May 16, 2013
Boring mess of a movie
½ February 23, 2013
February 26, 2012
Family feud ending bloody bad. Weak script, but as always the strong points of Chang Che stay larger than life mass combat scenes and spectacular, gory character demises.
August 3, 2011
Taistelukohtaukset kaikinpuolin ok mutta muuten todella puuduttava.
½ August 28, 2010
(*** 1/2): Thumbs Up

Exciting fight scenes and action.
March 4, 2010
They were 13 brothers who had it all - and lost it over a woman... or maybe it was over a belt. Whatevs. Terrific 'body being torn into five pieces' scene!
June 30, 2009
The first half felt really long and drawn out, but I enjoyed the second half more, despite the weak final battle. Once things got really serious and tragic I was hooked. Don't let anyone spoil this for you if you want to see it. I've heard this was Ti Lung's breakthrough starring role, and it's easy to see why. I've also heard many say it's a rather weak performance from David Chiang -- well I still love the guy, and have hit a point where I have to really hunt to find more of his movies. Ku Feng was great as the king. Unfortunately the subtitles on the recent Well Go USA dvd are terrible.
½ May 29, 2009
Classic martial arts film with excellent fight scenes (quite bloody for 1970) and a sprawling story involving warlord rivalries, family jealousy, and pole arms!
August 6, 2008
Sprawling kung-fu epic that follows 13 princes (brothers) as they battle to save face for their father the king as he fends off attempts to take over his kingdom. David Chang is the youngest of the brothers (the 13th prince) and the favorite son, while Ti Lung is his closest sibling and loyal son of a Momgol king (played by Ku Feng). Intrigue abounds even within the family as two brothers play into the hands of the chief rival of the king (played by the ever nasty Chan Sing). Decent story with lots of action and some pretty graphic blood letting (e.g., some, and not a minor character, is drawn and quartered with blood trails being left by the severed being towed behind each of the horses as their riders speed away). Chang and Li are brilliant as was generally the case when pair at this point in their careers.
DragonEyeMorrison