Shilje sanghwang (Real Fiction) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shilje sanghwang (Real Fiction) Reviews

DrBenway
March 5, 2009
Generally, I prefer art-films, or films going for a higher level of expression than simply laying out "real life" events. However, I still need to be engaged. This film is full of mock-ups of real characters I might care about if only I knew more. As it is, it's an endurance test.

None of the wonder found in Ki-duk's film The Isle is evident here. I'm having a difficult time being even generous enough to imagine an audience that would enjoy this film at any level. It's an interesting student film perhaps, and good for completists of Ki-duk's work. You know what? I don't even think this one is a renter......
June 16, 2007
I took a nap mid-movie. But I suppose knowing that the movie was done in one take (I think) makes it an achievement, but it was still... not that great.
May 24, 2007
can't believe i'm saying this but real fiction was pretty disappointing. well i guess only because most of his other movies are just friggin amazing. the reach-around scene was very disturbing, expect plenty of violence and camcorder-ish production.
½ September 25, 2010
Interesting for its real-time style and the gradual explosion of the pent-up frustration that the bullied street portrait painter shows.
½ February 26, 2010
Kim Duk Kim's experimental film in which every scene is only shot once and in real time. Real Fiction is about a portrait painter on the street that decides one day to go out and kill anyone that has ever wronged him. Good as an experiment, average as a film.
May 5, 2009
maybe im being a bit generous, but i enjoyed the concept of the film. The fact that it was shot over a 200 minute period has no impact on the film in my opinion, as this is not evident from the final product and is just a piece of trivia to accompany the film. The 12 cameras set up across the town do make an impact on the resulting film though. Overall, the individual set pieces don't amount to much, and this is essentially just a student trial film from Kim Ki Duk, but there were parts in it i enjoyed enough to recommend it.
½ July 28, 2009
floja, para ser de Kim ki Duk . las demas me han gustado mas, un poco demasiado violenta también.
March 20, 2009
ki duk kim's early work was really raw and intense and this pretty indicative of it. however, stuff like this and his brilliant seom is fascinating. this is a decidedly tough watch but still very artfully done. while i prefer his more recent philosophical and evocative work, i think this is a fascinating tale
DrBenway
March 5, 2009

½ February 18, 2009
This is, in numerous ways, the most idiosyncratic Ki-duk Kim film I have yet to see. It seems as though he was trying a new approach here, using multiple cameras and never using retakes of shots or scenes. While this is, in many ways, a kind of Kim film that is more theatrical and choreographed because of this -- in fact, one strong scene takes place on the stage of an empty theatre -- the film falls short as the concept outweighs the necessary plot devices to drive it forward. Kim's work is far from plot-oriented or even plot-driven, so this film's premise requires something his prior and later talents defy. A good experiment in camerawork that might have worked in hands more skilled in narrative cinema, but Kim's films are aesthetic pieces all their own, and the approach here is quite flawed, despite its innovative intent which, while obvious, sadly doesn't follow through here.
½ February 14, 2009
una specie di film fatto in casa, notoriamente girato in un pomeriggio in quattro ore, ma assolutamente interessante: torbido, surreale e fittizio come il miglior kim ki-duk sa fare. con un sorprendente tocco di ironia finale che giustifica il titolo. non dico altro: se potete vedetevelo e ditemi, al di la' delle preferenze, se avete mai trovato un film di questo regista che sia oggettivamente brutto
January 23, 2009
Il primo thriller-horror sfornato dalla mente caleidoscopica di Kim Ki-duk. Per il 70% girato in "presa diretta", il film, punta l'attenzione sulla duplicità dell'individuo, composto da una metà inerme ma passionale ed una metà violenta e vendicativa. Tutt'ora non capisco come il film possa risultare a parer di molti, il peggiore del regista, quando invece riesce talmente bene a confondere la realtà da tramutarla in finzione e viceversa. E' impalpabile la membrana che ci separa dalla vita reale e Kim lo sa molto bene. E forse, l'aver adoperato un montaggio ed una tecnica di ripresa simile, non è del tutto un caso. Anzi, ci fa vedere una dimenzione in cui la realtà convive con la finzione, come se tutto fosse un film all'interno di un film più grande. E se la realtà soccombesse tra le spire di questa finzione filmica?
December 1, 2008
Réel Symbolique Imaginaire
December 23, 2007
Ki-duk had a beautiful concept that would have been masterful had he pushed everything a bit further. Though worth watching, Real Fiction does not attain the shattering dimensions Ki-duk grasped in many of his other films.
½ February 14, 2008
Kill all hippes... and people who piss you off in a queue... and who cut you up on the road... and who don't say thankyou when you open a door... and who talk with their mouths fulll...

Learn how here.
½ January 21, 2008
Set at Daehangno, Seoul, I found this an entertaining film where Kim Ki-duk plays with chronological order in his editing, maintaining his non-verbal trait, and maybe the first of his works where it is noticeable that he uses the camera to play the role of his and the audience's eyes, les voyeurs.
January 3, 2008
Good movie filmed all in 4 hour's. check it out.
½ December 28, 2007
Terribly disappointing, since I was expecting better from a movie that was shot in four hours and all in one take by Kim Ki Duk. The ending is super-retarded.
December 5, 2007
Kim Ki-Duk's darkest film though somewhat mediocre.. . with an awesome twist in the end!
November 15, 2007
A street painter who has lead a rather unhappy life, and is starting to lose grip on reality incurs a vision of an alternate self who through a rather dramatic stage performance tells him that he should find all the people who have ever done him wrong, and kill them. So without taking much thought into it he begins his violent vengeful rampage

It is not the film itself that will leave you talking about Real Fiction for days after watching it. Its how the film was actually made, and by knowing this it gives you an entirely new appreciation for Kim Di-duk, and the art of simple film making. After weeks of preparation and rehearsing, Real Fiction was shot in one day, over the course of about 3 and a half hours. Every scene was filmed in real time, in one take, with multiple cameras set up. As well as one freehand camera being carried around by a mysterious young girl, who by the way is made quite apparent yet is never really explained. Using this style you are presented with a film that leaves you basically watching a stage play on screen. Though this is a very unique way of approaching a film, it does come with the risk of things not going perfectly well, which you will see in a few brief moments (though it is assumed any major hiccups were edited out). However the film overall was done pretty flawlessly. The cast, especially our leading man Ju Jin-mo is superb in this quite demanding and probably nerve racking role. You will probably find yourself feeling sorry for the victims. Though these people did do him wrong, they are not bad people, so unlike most revenge films it??s hard to decide weather you should be caring for the main character, or weather you should despise him. That said your decision will probably be made easy by the end of the film.

Real Fiction is such a simple straight forward film, it just follows our killer about the city as he makes rid of his victims. So it is quite easy to say that it is how the film is made that makes it what it is, which is a brilliant early effort from a director who has since established himself as one of the most universally renowned Korean Directors in the world. In fact had this been made in a tradition style it would have lacked all its charm and been nothing but a boring A to Z killing spree.