Shock-O-Rama - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shock-O-Rama Reviews

DrStrangeblog
½ March 2, 2013
"You know, just once - just ONCE - I would like to be in a film that is not a complete and utter f***ing embarrassment! I'm not asking for Shakespeare, I'm not asking for Anton Chekhov, I'm not even asking for David fricking Mamet...I just once would like to be in a film that doesn't make me cringe at the thought of people actually watching it."

A B-movie horror-comedy blast, at least for 2/3rds of the time. If you're acquainted with Misty Mundae movies, then you'll love her segment as Rebecca Raven, an underground movie star sick of being known more for her nudity than her acting. Playing a more belligerent version of herself (one hopes!) a tide of winking self-referential mockery comes flowing like a Bruce Campbell twitter feed. Seeking solitude, she escapes to an isolated country house that she bought on the cheap because the previous owner was involved in some demonic rituals - and, it turns out, is not what you'd call 100% dead.

Meanwhile, the studio producer is in search of the next Rebecca Raven and screens two short films, so essentially Shock-O-Rama consists of three mini movies. Mecharachnia is occasionally funny (a pursuing police spaceship has the best lines) but way overlong for the material. Lonely Are The Brain gets back on the scoreboard with AJ Kahn growing suspicious about the neurological experiments she and other young women are participating in under the supervision of evasive sexy doctor Julian Wells.

Your mileage may vary, but I had a fun time with this sendup which no doubt was greatly enhanced by familiarity with its participants.
½ February 28, 2010
After being ever-so elusive in the 80's and 90's, cult low-budget director/writer/effects guy Brett Piper (Drainiac, They Bite) hit the ground in the 2000's running, throwing out one movie after the next, one of which being the deliciously cheeky anthology Shock-O-Rama. The wrap-around story concerns Scream Queen Rebecca Raven (played by rising Scream/Nudie Queen Misty Mundae) who starts getting sick of all the same horror trash her studio keeps putting her in. Before she can make new demands, she is unexpectedly fired by her bosses and forced to take a much-needed vacation to a secluded house in the woods. With Raven gone, the sleazy execs begin their search for a newer, cheaper, and hotter Scream Queen (whose also willing to do nudity). They screen their first movie, Mecharachnia, about invading stop-motion aliens who attack a junkyard owner and his former girlfriend (hottest chick in the film, Caitlin Ross, who shamefully doesn't get naked). The second story comes from the wrap-around as Raven is attacked by an undead zombie that unexpectedly gets the tables turned on him. The third story concerns a house of hot chicks who are used in a sexy scientist's (super hot Julian Wells, who DOES get naked!) sleep deprivation experiments. The only problem is the experiments cause some of the girls to die in their sleep. This corny, but fun anthology brings out all of the quirky elements that director Piper is known for, namely his campy special effects, but not to mention a fun story and cast (regardless of how amateur and low-budget they seem). Not for everyone?s tastes, but unsuspecting viewers should research before going into a film like this before they do something stupid like give it bad ratings. Overall, Shock-O-Rama is a blast.
DrStrangeblog