Shoot 'Em Up Reviews

March 2, 2008
This is such a great movie. Balls to the walls action. Did i mention Moncia Belluci?? Oh yeah
September 16, 2007
I expected crap CGI nonsense and was pleasantly surprised.
The first thing I noticed about this crazy 'robocop/total recall' topping death tollathon was the action gun battles are really well done and look realistic, there's no obvious CGI effects in there and its all very gritty and cool, over the top but cool.

The whole thing is really dumb lets be honest, the story is awful and the main lead, Owen, is totally miscast in my opinion, he's just not this kind of action man and can't fit the role. It is funny though, gives Arnie a run for the money with wisecracks after gunning down the latest henchman...of which there is no end of of course.

There are some stupid sequences that do spoil the realism and hardcore violence, jumping out of a plane with a following midair gun battle? jumping into a car through a sunroof from off a tall building? and catapolting through a windscreen after crashing head on with a van and landing safely inside to comfortably shoot everybody!?. All of which are too computer gamey for me, but you have to expect that with this type of film, after all the title says it all.

Its good for the gun battles and bloodshed, if it was Arnie I would be wetting myself with glee shame it isn't. But its good to see a good old fashioned bloodbath, and for once with little CGI shit.
½ May 6, 2013
While the film's excessive violence and crude humor may not satisfy all moviegoers, it is still a solid shot in presenting a well-formulated plot along with a strong performances from its cast (Owen, Giamatti, Bellucci) Shoot 'Em Up, like the protagonist in the film, shoots everywhere from all different angles, and though unorthodox, finds its target and penetrates well. 4.5/5
Clintus M.
½ April 21, 2013
Shoot 'Em Up could have been subtitled: Mr. Smith Kills Everybody. This film is the ultimate I've seen in simple non-stop mindless action. Its unusual; The plot isn't important at all, it is just bloody, funny, and completely entertaining. Its almost sadistic in its level of violence; you'll wince and laugh equally.

I loved Clive Owen as the lead; there's plenty of him and bad guy Paul Giamatti- kind of atypical in this kind of role. Female lead Monica Bellucci is great; there's not enough of her. There is enough of carrots, stunts, and body count. These are some of the most mind blowing stunts ever. Dpn't question the plot or the physics, just have fun. The movie's a lot like Motley Crue's "Kick Start My Heart, " wjich appropriately plays during the final credits.
garyX
September 9, 2007
Clive Owen is minding his own business when a pregnant woman stumbles by pursued by gun-toting villains. Feeling obliged to help, he ends up the target of an army of black-clad bad guys, complete with newborn baby and hooker with a heart in tow. If Raising Arizona had been written by Jackie Chan and directed by John Woo, this film would've been the result! Shoot 'em up does exactly what is says on the tin; it's really nothing more than a collection of nicely choreographed set-pieces and painful one liners. To be honest, it's the kind of film where if one single part of it had been misjudged, the whole thing would've fallen apart. For example, if super-cool Clive Owen hadn't been cast as Mr. Smith and we'd had Jason Statham instead, it probably would've reeked. But as it is, it's just the right side of tongue in cheek, never taking itself too seriously. I would've liked to have seen at least some attempt at a plot, Monica Bellucci is strangely unsexy considering her considerable physical charms, and some of the one-liners are cheesy enough to be in a Carry On film but it's a flimsy bit of fun that at 80 minutes doesn't outstay its welcome.
cosmo313
½ September 4, 2007
In this over-the-top frenetic action romp, we've got an everyman named Smith (Owen) with a love for carrots who, after coming to the aid of a pregnant woman and helping her give birth (during a shootout no less) finds himself the target of a gang of thugs led by an off-kilter henpecked hitman named Hertz (Giamatti) who want the baby dead, and will stop at nothing to accomplish their goal. Along with a hooker whose specialty is lactation (Bellucci) it's up to Smith to stop the bad guys, save the baby, and figure out just what the hell is going on.That's the set up for this film, and, just because it might seem like it's right up your alley, that might not necessarily be true.

Normally, I'm all for ridiculous balls to the wall bullet fest action movies like this, but I wasn't really blown away by this one. Sure, it's quirky, wacky, and sometimes really creative, inventive, and fun, but that doesn't mean it all adds up to something that's good or worthwhile as a whole. I did dig that this was basically a love action and violent Looney Tunes episode (and there's tons of references to back this up, especially some very obvious and unsubtle ones), but all the references, wackiness, and insane set pieces (I never knew carrots could be used in the ways that they are here, or that I'd ever see shootouts take place during both sex and childbirth...and that you could use a gun to cut the umbilical cord), but stuff like this is just a lot fo flash with no real meat behind it.

Also, as for this film giving John Woo a run for his money...nice try, but not quite. His films might have insane gun battles that test one's suspension of disbelief, but they also have a strong sense of artistry, style, and some weight to them. This is just hollow spectacle for the sake of it. There's some great needle drops sure, which is a big help, but even then, this film just comes off as trying way too hard.

Not only that, but there's some really sloppily handled messages (and mixed ones, to boot) concerning gun laws. Ultimately, the film coems off as a tad irresponsible and unclear, and that's a bad sign. I know, I should jsut shut up and enjoy, right? Well, I did...at times. It jsut didn't last, and this is ultiamtely a film I'm surprised to be feeling rather negative about. None of the cast are ruining their careers here, but they're not exactly doing them many favors. However, it is nice to see Giamatti change it up once and a while, and he at least looks like he's having some fun.

All in all, a real missed opportunity. This film wants so bad to be the next great cult classic. Too bad thta writer/director Michael Davis didn't get the memo that a film can't try to be a campy cult classic...it just has to come naturally.
September 15, 2011
The most ridiculous movie I have EVER seen, had me rolling on the floor of the lounge where Phi Psis were watching it... SPOILER ALERT omg if you've ever wanted to see someone get killed by a carrot or slaughter a slew of enemies in the middle of intercourse and keep going then you might want to check it out
½ September 16, 2011
No, it's not art, but it is awesome. It's a movie that never believes that's it's anything more than ludicrous, and that's what makes it genius. Another feather in the cap of Paul Giamatti, who seems to be able to add color to any and every character he plays.

Full disclosure, this movie gets an extra half a star for Monica Bellucci. I don't remember exactly what she does in this movie (pretty sure she's a prostitute, so more points for that), or if she was any good, but ... it's Monica Bellucci. Someone knew what (s)he was doing when casting.
½ September 6, 2007
This was really campy and fun. I'll never look at vegetables the same way again, I'll tell you that.
January 22, 2011
Smith: Eat your vegetables.

Late at nighttime, in an unnamed U.S. metropolis, an introverted man (Clive Owen) sits at a bus stop. A pregnant woman runs by, pursued by a man with a gun. With unwillingness, the man at the bus stop rescues her and assists with the baby's delivery, while supplementary pursuer's fire at them, as well as the gang's particularly spiteful boss, an insightful man named Hertz (Paul Giamatti). Our hero, known only as Smith, determines to save the child and discover out why Hertz needs the baby dead. At a confined bordello, he tries to employ a lactating hooker to observe the child, but things rapidly go sky-high, and this rough and ready family is roughly immediately on the run.

Hertz: Guns don't kill people, but they sure help!

This movie is seriously a truly enjoyable movie. It's complete with action, sharp dialogue, and unforgettable lines. It is what it promises, a 90 minute action crammed romp. The wonderful Clive Owen stars as Mr. Smith, a man with a mission. Owen is ideal in this part, including everything you'd wish for in a movie akin to this (heck, he even kills an assassin with a carrot!). The story is unbelievably impractical and the whole thing is completely improbable, but I can assure that you will be entertained. Shoot 'Em Up is a great case in point of a wonderful B-movie, or even a cult classic (watch out, The Evil Dead!).

Hertz: Do you know why a gun is better than a wife? You can put a silencer on a gun.
February 15, 2011
If any movie showcases the powerhouse that is Clive Owen, it's this. You can watch this endless times and seeing him mow down goons with his food stamp bullets never gets old. It quite possibly has the most goofy array of plot devices and bizarre character elements, but that's what makes it so effective as a sarcastic black comedy. Thankfully, this doesn't try to be just another spoof. They play it completely serious, making the comedy way more effective. Also, all the action sequences are extremely well put together. As goofy as they are in nature, the end result becomes a cross between ridiculous and ridiculously cool.
½ September 2, 2007
In the opening scene, Clive Owen shoots the oilpan off a car, then slides on his back to the sound of "Breed" (by Nirvana) along the cartoonishly-big slick, pistol in each hand, blasting bad guys all the way. Wow. Too bad it was the best part of this film. Very odd cartoon references (Clive Owen seems to be Bugs Bunny, with his carrot and even the line "What's up, Doc?", at one point), but the allusion doesn't really make sense. In any case, this film is stupid fun, certainly not for the thinking man. As it went on and told more of the story I cared less and less, but there's enough to be said for it's style that it's worth seeing. Free, on TV sometimes - don't pay for it.
TheDudeLebowski65
October 11, 2010
I normally hate Clive Owen vehicles, But I've made exceptions for Sin City and this film. This is one of the craziest, most over the top action films that I have ever seen. Shoot 'Em Up is one badass action film that has insane gunfights, and one killer soundtrack. Everything about the film is so over the top that it almost makes Crank look like a normal film by comparison . Shoot 'Em Up is a killer of a film, that is extremely entertaining. Unlike Wanted; a film that despised, I found Shoot 'em Up to be a very good action packed film. Lacking sense or story, and at times logic; Shoot 'em Up is one of the most over the top films in quite some time, what separates this film from Wanted is the fact that Wanted has constant slow motion scenes, that is very irritating and pretty pointless. But with Shoot 'Em Up, you lack a logical story, but you have tremendous action. While Wanted tried so hard to take itself so seriously, this film doesn't, and thats why this film is better and thats why it's a lot of fun. Clive Owen is usually a bad actor, but he delivers his best performance since Sin City. Paul Giamati is amusing as the bad guy. Shoot 'Em Up is a terrific action film that delivers great amounts of non-stop action and truly offers an awesome viewing experience. If crazy action flicks are your thing then give this one a viewing. The film has a somewhat decent enough story inserted between the many action packed scenes. But the thing that I appreciate about this over exaggerated action film is that unlike action flicks of this type, everyone seems to have fun on screen and pull something extremely entertaining on camera. Others like Wanted don't feel like fun, and feel like they're trying too hard to create something "awesome" on screen. Only Shoot 'em Up and Crank deliver the goods in over exaggerated action. This is an awesome thrill a minute film that doesn't disappoint. If you want to have a film that will thrill till the end, then this film is definitely for you. A truly awesome action flick that will satisfy action film junkies everywhere.
October 1, 2010
Shoot Em' Up is a violent piece of film that gets much more brutal every scene. I keeps the blood coming and never gives up on that special hint of renewal and you never know when the movie is going to end, because there is so much action that you are there and pulled in until it ends!
erika250
½ September 5, 2010
really good action film but not a good plot. It was missing what makes a really good action film .
The Gandiman
½ July 16, 2010
Tries for stylized fun and campiness but is instead dumb, noisy and trite.
June 30, 2010
this movie is awesome. A-
June 30, 2010
Insane gunfights, ridiculous one-liners, a baby with a woollen sock for a hat. This film has it all!
½ August 15, 2007
A little disappointed with this after all the good reviews I'd received, still found it pretty watchable though.

Very much in spoof style of it's genre, it sort of takes the mickey out of itself. It almost seems as though this was Clive Owen's consolation role of not becoming a James Bond ?? There seemed some similarities to the Bond films, particularly the cheesy one liners.

Quite over the top Action and one role of Monica Bellucci's I wasn't too keen on, but it is good cheesy fun.