Shootout At Wadala - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shootout At Wadala Reviews

½ July 14, 2013
I didn't find the title justified since the shootout at Wadala hardly lasts for 10 minutes. (Besides, they could have gone for a better "shootout" story; I find it hard to thank that there are just a handful of them.) Primarily, it's a story of a teen with a seemingly bright future gone helter-skelter, thanks to his family background & circumstances. But there isn't much of a story to be told. So, either there are fight scenes or some songs forced in. Whatever is told in between doesn't make up for its flaws (I'd not elaborate as they're aplenty). Some action scenes are outstanding, but I'm not a fan of that genre. A slightly better film may have been possible had they focused more on script than relying on promos and item songs.
½ August 7, 2014
Nothing like Sanjay Gupta's Shootout At Lokhandwala. certain performances were okay but overall film was way too loud. Background score was jarring while songs didn't serve any purpose. In spite of having style all over it film is very very dramatic version of book "From Dongri To Dubai". Disappointed.
August 3, 2014
would have been better with a bit more story, and less arghhh
July 14, 2014
Hats off for the 70s illusions created. Otherwise I remember being bored to death with the whole movie.
September 20, 2013
Being a sequence of 'Shootout At Lokhandwala', the movie expectantly caters to the tug-o-war between the police and Mumbai underworld and the elements of the underworld themselves. However, the prequel caters to the time period when Dawood was an already established underworld power figure, whereas the sequel depicts the era before the emergence of Dawood aka Dilawar as the power figure. It caters to the time period, when the Mumbai police actually started bending the rulebook (read encounters). It seems that not many facts or incidents are recorded of that time period, or maybe there was less drama in the lifestyle of a single person/gang, so the storyline comprises of the activities of different gangs and the whole movie is a flashback as a story exchange between the protagonist/criminal Manya Surve (John Abraham) and the ACP (Anil Kapoor) on their way to the hospital after the criminal had been mercilessly trapped and encountered but still could live enough to tell his tale.

One interesting study you find is the contrast in the lifestyle of different ganglords. This is meaning to say that, they enjoyed almost the same kind of money, power and clout, but chose to live differently as per their lineage and/or preference. Mastans inspite of their age old clout preferred to stay and dress in their old ways, while the Haskars used to dress fashionably and drive swank cars. Common factor amongst them was respect for their religion and flashy gold accessories.

Actingwise, all have done good job. But Manoj Bajpai, in his small role still stands out. So does Sonu Sood in his passive acting. John has given it all for this role - be it body building, appearing ferocious, being uninhibited with the heroine as well as the item girl, depicting silent emotional pain etc. Coming from John, being uninhibited is a big step, as usually he appears very cautious around his heroines. Anil Kapoor appears as an honest and driven cop, but due to his age and/or physique you find it rather unconvincing that in a dual he can overpower someone like John or even someone less muscular than John. Out of other two cops, you feel as doubtful for Mahesh Manjrekar but not Ronit Roy. Kangana has beautifully dressed as ladies of that era. In fact in the second half of the movie, she resembles a lot of Rekha and carries the diva look with aplomb. She has managed to act natural and this should be applauded. Like Sachin of yesteryears, Tusshar simply cannot look anything other than a 'decent and nice young boy'. Thus in spite of his hard work, considering him for a gangster role (Munir) seems rather questionable. Soni Razdan and Akbar Khan in their comeback roles appear just ok. It's refreshing to see Jackie Shroff in a powerful and short guest appearance. Looking at Anil and him in the same frame, for a second you are instantly reminded of 'Parinda'.

There are three absolutely unnecessary item songs. Each of them must have costed the producers a bomb. So, maybe they have their purpose and a section of the audience may go to the theatres to justify that purpose.
May 23, 2013
Not up to my expectations at all :-(. It all seemed too forced.
½ July 28, 2013
Yet another Gangster movie .. With power-pack dialogues ..Yet I felt.. certain scenes are Left incomplete.. Felt that the detail of the Climax.. incomplete,,,
July 16, 2013
Day: Sunday
Date: 14 Jul 2013
Time: 10.00 pm
With: Maa
On: HDTV
½ July 14, 2013
July 11, 2013
Nice cinematography for some sequences.. usual story and normal performances.
½ May 8, 2013
07/07/13 - mom and shar

A film about different bombay Dons and how John A tries to become top dog and epicly fails. Decent movie, nothing special.
July 6, 2013
John Abraham surpasses all expectations playing a gangster.
½ June 30, 2013
This underground mafia story sinks and touched the rock bottom of the ocean because of the terrible screen play and the major let down with John Abraham taking the lead. The movie fails to create the tension that 'Once upon a time in Mumbai' did to the audience.
½ June 10, 2013
A well-paced gangland epic based loosely upon the first 'police encounter' (a criminal killed in action) which was recorded by Indian police. Performances are well carried by the actors and the brutality and violent depiction can be seen as rather Scorsese-esque. The storyline is quite competent but seems to falter when it tries to glorify the gangster lifestyle and seems too stylized of a depiction for a film based around a true event.
May 17, 2013
Action packed film with alot of swearing and unnecessary skin show.... Sonu Sood, Manoj Bajpyee great performances... John and Anil are good also
May 17, 2013
Hell yeah. Lookit the staches on those guys! I *so* wanna see this.
½ May 15, 2013
John Abraham surprised me with his performance in this movie. He got my attention. Liked it. Chemistry between the lead pair was really red.
½ May 11, 2013
lokhandwala anytime..!!! this one is crap full of cheesy dialogues that don't appeal anymore,,,!!!
May 10, 2013
Horrible acting, the film was shot with so many slow motion shots. Felt like an exerting to watch this film. The story all right.
½ May 8, 2013
I wasn't expecting that much from this movie as I didn't watch first part of this series but I must admit it's a really nice movie, full of action, blood and entertainment when it comes to item numbers in this movie, all actors were great specially John, if you are a fan of Bollywood action then it's a must watch for this season.