17% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Shotgun Stories Reviews

closedmouth
April 7, 2014
Nichols's beautiful, melancholic, low-energy tone and use of non-professional (and often pretty terrible) actors conflicts with the high stakes, high drama premise such that I found the meandering narrative not very compelling. I love the way it's made and the way it feels, but I didn't find the story or the people in it very interesting.
March 28, 2014
It's better than Take Shelter, but not as great as Mud. Shotgun Stories (Jeff Nichols's directorial début) is a smart and mature depiction of a family's blood feud. Michael Shannon delivers a strong leading performance; and although the films not a masterpiece, it's still quality filmmakng in it's own right.
February 2, 2014
A long feud triggered by lack of affection, told through the subtraction of elements. There is no room for the spectacular scenes nor the violent ones. You feel constantly an inner emptiness and a complete lack of expectations. Visually powerful.
English47
November 25, 2013
Shotgun Stories is another slow burner set in the south from Jeff Nichols that just feels right from the get-go. It's a story about a feud b/w two sets of half brothers and is essentially a family drama that doesn't try to pull the heart strings of the audience or manipulate them even with what could be a tear jerker. It's a tragic tale of vengeance set off by dumb bull shit.

Michael Shannon delivers as does the rest of the cast and having seen Mud and Take Shelter, I can say Jeff Nichols is a refreshing new face in cinema.
August 31, 2013
Shotgun Stories boasts some talent in its acting corps as Michael Shannon and crew deliver some powerhouse performances. The films pacing is slow and at times can kind of drag on but that is partly reflective of the society in which it takes place so works in its favor in that regard.
May 1, 2012
Jeff Nichols might be a slow pace director but for sure his movies have a great touch
September 27, 2013
A Southern Greek tragedy done with brilliant, subtle direction. Michael Shannon kills it.
September 26, 2013
Strong performances from Michael Shannon and cast. Solid debut for Jeff Nichols, certainly a director to look out for. Now that I've seen this and Take Shelter, on to Mud.
September 19, 2013
Excellent, honest, rural noir. Michael Shannon is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors.
September 14, 2013
I saw this film on Netflix and really enjoyed this independent film from Jeff Nichols (who also did the fantastic Take Shelter and Mud). Michael Shannon is great in this, as he always is. The plot is very solid for a small independent film and it really kept me intrigued and I really cared for the 3 main brothers. Overall a very solid film and now having seen all three of Jeff Nichols' films, he is definitely one of the better new filmmakers in Hollywood right now and I look forward to see more from him in the future.
July 30, 2013
A slice of modern southern life in a downtrodden town with the added tension of a simmering family feud. You'd think this would add a fascinating layer to the proceedings. It doesn't. The deliberate tone and pace that is set at the beginning remains throughout and this is a fatal flaw in my book. The director achieved an impressive realism but he left out everything else. Without Michael Shannon's performance this movie would just be down right boring.
August 20, 2013
Michael Shannon gives an incredible performance.
August 13, 2013
A Redneck shootin' good time. However, the ending seems unresolved, so for that -- 3 1/2 stars.
Marc Cerone
August 6, 2013
Jeff Nichols proves solid talent in Mud, have yet to see this and Take Shelter.
August 5, 2013
Mislim da je Jeff Nichols savren po pitanju uspostavljanja naj?udnovatijih atmosfera i pisanju odli?nih scenarija....svi njegovi filmovi najmanje impresioniraju!
July 30, 2013
Jeff Nichols is 3 for 3.
July 29, 2013
Nichols first debut delves into small-town nihilism and social angst in a comparable way to Fargo, or Winters Bone.
Francisco  G.
Francisco G.

July 10, 2013
A fantastic debut for Jeff Nichols, Shotgun Stories is a deep atmospheric family thriller, approaching the cause/effect concept through very personal routes, aided by a brilliant lead performance by Michael Shannon.

Try not to know anything from the story when first viewing it, it will just have a whole different impact, I can assure you. A very promising start to an already very good career for the director.
July 5, 2013
It's a breath of fresh air to watch this compelling directorial debut from Jeff Nichols, having watched "Mud". Southern-fried filmmaking, thy name is Jeff Nichols.