Show People Reviews

July 19, 2014
Interesting film about film at the dawn of talkies that provided the source material for Singing In The Rain. For historians only.
½ November 17, 2013
a marion davies comedy vehicle-guess what? Davies is really funny
½ January 31, 2013
It\s odd that a movie made in 1928, about movie making, a comedy, and with tons of cameos of stars and directors of the day could have slipped by my radar for so long and not know ANYTHING about it. Yet, this silent little nugget did just that, and what a total pleasure it was to see it. Marion Davies plays a young starlet wanting to get into the movies, and William Haines plays the low-rent-comedy actor she falls in love with. But when fame beacons, she follows it, and soon becomes to big for her britches. It's a truly wonderful and engaging story. I also really really loved the lovely cameos that the stars of the day put in, Chaplin! Fairbanks! Heck, even Marion Davies makes a cameo in her own movie (which is totally hilarious). Simply a must see if you love the movies. I'm still amazed I'd never heard of it until now.
August 19, 2011
"Show People" is one of the classic comedies of the silent era, but for some reason, it's not available on Netflix. What a waste! Peggy Pepper (Davies) is a country girl with dreams of becoming a Hollywood starlet, and she and her father Colonel Pepper (Henderson) make a grand entrance into the biz. Though Peggy hopes to be a dramatic actress, she ends up getting stuck being a slapstick comedienne, something she really doesn't want. She doesn't like it at first, but when she begins a relationship with her co-star Billy Boone (Haines), everything goes better. A few months later however, she gets her wish and becomes a dramatic actress and changes her name to Patricia Pepoire, and that strains what she has with Billy. But sure enough, they get back together. "Show People" is one of the many movies that newspaper tycoon William Randolph Hearst had his mistress Marion Davies star in. Most of them are forgotten today, but this is always the one people talked about. Surely isn't hasn't aged to great (what was thought to be side-splitting in the '20's now seems rom-comish now), but there's something so magnetic about the actors and the plot. They achieve many things that silent movies didn't always grasp, and they make it a sil. mov that is really worth watching. Many of the comedic instances are pretty darn funny, and Davis and Haines pull them off effortlessly, as do the stars that come in for a cameo all the time. "Show People" is a very memorable comedy from the silent era that is very watchable. If I were you, I would cross your fingers that it's playing on TCM.
½ June 12, 2010
Just about one of the best silent films I've ever seen. The only one that beats it out in my head is Torrent. It has a bit of drama, but mostly it just covers the truth of love through comedy. It shows how people are willing to bend everything for what's in their own head and how it's not always the best way to go. See it.
April 17, 2010
Lovely. Very romantic. Cute comedy. Good thing it's silent because I'd probably grow to hate this movie if I actually heard the actors' voices, as I do with real theater people I come in contact with. It's a terrible shame the movie's out of print.
January 1, 2009