25 Movies So Bad They're Unmissable

Summary

What makes a film so appalling that it transitions from ordinary ineptitude into the sublime; beyond cult status (and all reason) and into that surreal place where you really can't believe what you're watching? RT's regular contributor Michael Adams has a pretty good idea: as part of his new book 'Showgirls, Teen Wolves and Astro Zombies', he spent an entire year seeking out the greatest atrocities cinema has ever unleashed, watching more than 400 bad movies in a quest to to find the worst film ever made. Along the way, he spoke with such bad movie aficionados as John Landis, Joe Dante, Eli Roth, John Waters and the Mystery Science crew, while himself appearing in George Romero's Survival of the Dead. Here then are 25 of his picks for those films that, awful as they may be, you simply cannot turn away from... Back to Article

Comments

Don Logan

David Kumpe

I agree with the worst thing being a comedy devoid of laughs (Epic Movie, Disaster Movie, Meet the Spartans, Freiburg and Seltzer damn you to eternal pain of watching your own movies you unbelievable hacks). However, I wouldn't put unfunny comedies on this list because they are missable, with no discernable entertainment value inherent in how bad they are. They are just plain bad, and a waste of time, money, and resources.

Feb 5 - 12:38 PM

jason g.

jason green

to comment on a few: Killer Klowns I loved when i was younger........ thought it was hilarious AND somewhat creative.......... but then again i also thought Hunk was funny and thw wrong guys so that doesn't say much! needless to say, those were not meant to be great movies!!!! hence B-movies.

I hate pretty much all new spoofs since Scary Movie!!!! although Scary movie 2's Chris Elliot ROCKET.....Take my strong hand!!!!!!!!

Has anyone seen Valikrye(sp-tom cruise) or the black dahlia....... lets make a movie that we all know what happens.....and or an assassination attempt that failed. Where was the creativity in these movies?

Stay Hungry-----Arnold, Jeff Bridges, and Sally field....very bad movie, but once again, i don't think it was suppose to be good.

Public Enemies.....a love story about a bank robber.....BORING. The Grudge, the only the i have a grudge about was the dollar 1 spent to watch it. The food was good though????

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY.............PLEASE GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK!!!!

Slipstream..............what happened to anthony hopkins in that?

I like making fun of crappy movies......watch the most recent episode of community....its like they watched USA up all night with RHONDA or GILBERT GODFREE(sp).....classic

just a few good movies that more should know about.....reservoir dogs, memento (guy pierce), the professional (portman and reno), the goonies (josh brolin and sean astin), RUDY -mentioning astin....

another bad movie that i loved to laugh at....Shakes the Clown...Adam Sandler and Bobcat Goldwaith (the stuttering loud guy from the police academy movies)...... classic guttenberg too(bad medicine and short circuit) johnny 5 is alive....it takes a toughman to make a tender chicken

horrible yet.....Matthew Moncongay films with the exceptions of Frailty and Dazed and Confused....good movies

fyi...i'm 29, so that may explain a few things

Feb 5 - 04:54 PM

Don Logan

David Kumpe

Feb 5 - 06:28 PM

John T.

John Taylor

I was all set to say that this was another list of movies I would never watch. That was until I saw The Giant Claw. I remember Picture For A Sunday Afternoon would always be a double feature. War movies, westerns, science fiction. From the science fiction, this was one of them. Anyone remember The Magnetic Monster? How about The Monolith Monsters? How about the Japanese version of The Blob or The Mysterians?

Feb 6 - 03:37 PM

Jack M.

Jack McDonald

I saw Road House the other night, and that bit where he rip's his throat out was one of the best scenes i have ever seen! Nah dont know how Troll 2 isnt on here. Lulz

Feb 6 - 10:30 PM

Jack M.

Jack McDonald

Feb 6 - 10:32 PM

Fractalchez

Robert Chesnavich

In all of my years in reading lists like these I have yet to see my all-time worst movie listed even once. I believe it's time for me to correct this injustice.

Allow me to present for your viewing psuedo-pleasure, Lawnmower Man II: Beyond Cyberspace.

We rented this essentially because we're sci-fi geeks, and because, with all of the problems with the original, it still had the potential to create an interesting franchise depending on where they took it. And Peter Weller (Max Headroom) as the Lawnmower Man? Tell me you can't see the possibilities.

Oh, the possibilities were realized, all right.

I spent the entire movie unable to react to everything I saw wrong, because as soon as one wrong thing occurred, before I was able to even process it, another one followed it right up. For starters, I blame this movie for single-handedly creating approximately 10% of the world's Luddites: it's depiction of virtual worlds is so moronic that even my technophobe girlfriend who almost never touched a computer laughed at it. The plot? At one point in the virtual world, men on motorcycles try to gun down our heroes. Absolutely no explanation of their existence is ever given. I'll say at the very least that the acting was passable, if the characters and dialogue weren't.

This movie has one saving grace: by the time it's done, you realize the first movie really wasn't as bad as you remember. See it, and I dare you to not find room on this list somewhere for it. (Personally I don't think Showgirls was historically bad, bad that's a separate topic.)

Feb 7 - 06:14 AM

Pete C.

Pete Cannella

Yeah I thought mommy dearest was good too. When I was a kid it use to make me grateful for the mom I did have lol.

Feb 8 - 09:42 PM

Tania M.

Tania Margitich

I cannot believe that Mommie Dearest got a mention - which I found to be edge-of-your-seat in certain places, and was based on truth, and had a great performance! How could you have this and not that truly awful Meg Ryan remake of The Women?? That was the worst movie I think I have ever seen - though it is too irritating to watch in full I admit! I did which means I must be a masochist!

Feb 7 - 06:06 PM

Pete C.

Pete Cannella

Where's Robocop 3 at?

Feb 8 - 09:41 PM

Pete C.

Pete Cannella

Feb 8 - 09:42 PM

Jay J.

Jay Jay

Good list. Nothing to be ashamed of. After all, you guys are the voice of what sucks. I'm missing Purple Rain, though. And, more recently, Watchmen.

Feb 8 - 10:26 PM

Serious Lee

Serious Lee

What a cool WTF story!

Feb 9 - 12:58 AM

iamabadman

ian fisher

you are gay, really, just stop.

Jun 2 - 06:52 AM

Isaac P.

Isaac Preston

mykalrose, they do have something like that. It's called the Razzie Awards. Comes on every year just like the Oscars. I forget what channel it comes on tho.

Feb 9 - 08:01 AM

James D.

James De La Loza

What about Repo: The Genetic Opera? Or Chen Kaige's The Promise? A different category would be well made movies that make you feel rotten inside, like Disney's Cars. Movies that make you feel like you got fingered by Ronald Reagan.

Feb 11 - 10:41 PM

Janaya W.

Janaya Warren

OMG, super mario brothers movie was awful and u r right completely hilarious. Plan 9 has to be the worst movie ever for sure. I like B movies but that one is unwatchable.

Feb 11 - 11:01 PM

Jim P.

Jim Pedigo

Battlefield Earth is definitely "missable." Somehow I feel it just misses the 'so bad it's good' mark most of these movies deserve. It's funny, it definitely seems like it inspired Travolta to never sit in a director's chair again. I still wish I'd never seen it.

Feb 12 - 05:36 AM

jmathiau666

Johanan Mathiau

Where's Snowbeast from 1977?Its like Jaws at a ski resort,except instead of a shark we get a killer bigfoot,complete with a large sheep hair covered baseball mitt with claws.Not Clint Walker's finest hour.
I miss MST3000 and Monster Vision with Joe Bob Briggs.

Feb 12 - 07:09 AM

Juribellum -.

Juribellum -

check out the "The Gold and the Beautiful" trailer! really hilarious and you'll love it if you're a fan of stuff like "the Room":

Feb 12 - 02:26 PM

John L.

John Lichter

OMG GUYS!!! Toy Story 3 just leaked http://watch-toy-story3.com

Feb 12 - 03:06 PM

Tim H.

Tim Hall

I'm gonna go out on a limb here (pun intended) and say my new favorite movie thats bad it's funny; is Ed starring Matt LeBlanc. I literally was crying through parts of it for some reason, it's not even funny. The monkey is a guy in a suite with a robotic head. If you have uverse check it out on demand, though fast forward through any scene with the monkey not it in.

Feb 13 - 07:04 AM

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies