Box Office Guru Wrapup: Shrek dethrones Iron Man 2

Plus, Robin Hood slips to third, and MacGruber, well, bombs.

This weekend The fourth film in the Shrek series took the box office crown in the fourth weekend of the 2010 summer movie season, but with a much smaller gross than anticipated. Meanwhile, the SNL curse continued as Universal's MacGruber crashed and burned on impact.

Shrek Forever After took charge of the box office this weekend, debuting to $71.3M from 4,359 locations (which includes 194 IMAX and 2373 3D screens) for a per screen average of $16,345. The opening, while extremely good for most movies, is a big let down for the franchise.

Each film in the Shrek series had a higher opening weekend gross than the previous one (taking into account that Shrek 2 opened on a Wednesday). While Shrek Forever After wasn't expected to meet the heights of Shrek the Third, with the 3D and IMAX surcharges added in to a huge theater count, the $72M has to be seen as disappointing. As you can also see, the opening weekend percentage of the final total has been going up as well, as the grosses become more and more front loaded. With less-than-stellar reviews it is distinctly possible that Shrek Forever After may not make as much money as stablemate How To Train Your Dragon, which is currently at $211M and counting.

After two weeks in the top spot, Robert Downey, Jr. and Iron Man 2 took a step back into the second spot this weekend, falling 49% to an estimated $26.6M, bringing its cume to $251.3M. By comparison, the original Iron Man had grossed $223.1M by the end of its third weekend back in 2008. Third place belonged to fellow hero Robin Hood which fell 48% from last weekend to an estimated $18.7M, bringing its total to $66.1M. Look for a final gross in the $115-120M range.

We're now at fourth place with still no sighting of MacGruber... Taking up residence in the fourth spot was Summit Entertainment's Letters to Juliet, which took in an estimated $9.1M this weekend, a drop of only 33% from last weekend's opening. Its cume now stands at $27.4M and it looks to end its run in the $55-60M range. Fifth place finds fellow sophomore Just Wright which fell 49% from last weekend to an estimated $4.2M, bringing its total to $14.6M. Look for a final gross in the $25-30M range.

Who is that I see trying to defuse a bomb with only seconds remaining? It's MacGruber! Oh no, he didn't make it! Crashing into sixth place this weekend, the Saturday Night Live sketch-turned-movie bombed at the box office, pulling in only $4.1M, according to estimates, from 2,551 screens for a per screen average of $1,607. The $4.1M opening is one of the worst openings of all time from a film with at least 2,500 screens. How bad was this opening? 1999's Chill Factor, starring that dynamic duo of Cuba Gooding, Jr. and Skeet Ulrich opened to $4.5M from 2,558 theaters.

Seventh place belonged to the film that just wouldn't quit, Date Night, which had the best hold in the top 10, dropping a slim 26% to an estimated $2.8M. Its total now stands at $90.6M. In eighth place was the horror remake A Nightmare on Elm Street which fell 51% to an estimated $2.3M, bringing its cume to $59.9M. It looks to end its run with a total nearly identical to 2009's remake du jour, Friday the 13th which finished with $65M.

DreamWorks Animation's second film in the top 10 ended up in 9th place this weekend as How to Train Your Dragon fell sharply with the latest animation offering taking most of its business. The dragon tale took in $1.85M this weekend, according to estimates, bringing its cume to a robust $210.9M.

Rounding out the top 10 was another new title to the charts, the Bollywood film Kites. Distributed by Reliance BIG Pictures, the crossover hit opened with $1M from 208 playdates, for a per screen average of $4,976.

The top ten films grossed $141.9M which was down 15.7% from last year when Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian opened in the top spot with $54.2M; and down 14.8% from 2008 when Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull opened at number one with $100.8M. However in both previous years, this weekend was part of the Memorial Day holiday weekend.

Comments

Robyn Banques

Mason Sewell

Wow. Seeing Shrek that low is quite a surprise. I was expecting a lot more from it.

And MacGruber? All I gotta say is DAYUM!I saw MacGruber, and really, it wasn't too terrible. There were plenty of parts where I laughed my ass off. It's just one of those corny, immature movies. Sad to see that it won't be going anywhere.

May 23 - 12:12 PM

Nine Oh Two

Nine Oh Two .

Mcgruber was made for like 10 million dollars. It's hardly a failure.

May 23 - 05:48 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

Macgruber may not be a box office bomb but 4.1 million is still very poor for a wide release movie.

May 24 - 07:02 AM

KJ Cassidy

kurt cassidy

Just because of how much it cost to make it doesn't make the movie any better. That's like saying how high a movie is on the Box Office really shows if a movies good or not.

May 24 - 07:57 AM

Takis I.

Takis Iomos

But he didn't say the movie was good or bad, just that it was not a failure. A bad movie makes a lot of money is a success and a great movie that loses millions is a failure. Any movie that breaks even is not a failure and MacGruber, if $10m cost is true, will still probably hit that.

May 24 - 09:14 AM

Captain Tripps

Captain Tripps

I think there are other measures of fail/success than box office.

May 24 - 03:55 PM

Superzone

Link O'Fett

Big surprise.

May 23 - 12:17 PM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

I guess I'm not surprised "Shrek 4 -- Maybe or Maybe Not the Final Chapter" came in at No. 1, but I hope its total gross doesn't get it another sequel.

May 23 - 12:20 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

I hated Shrek 3.

Not surprised the fourth bombed.

May 23 - 12:23 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

When you say "bombed" - you do realize that it took 75 freakin' million bucks in it's first weekend, right?
I don't care who you are, that is NOT a bomb. Expectations were too high from those greedy bastards that hit the print button on the Script-a-thon 2000 and expect the movie to make a killing cos those "stupid kids" don't know any better. The sad part is that they are mostly right. I hate this dumbed down generation of degenerates. It's completely the fault of the parents.

May 23 - 10:24 PM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

So many bombs this weekend. Didn't expect Macgruber to fail so hard. Granted Will Forte isn't exactly comedy gold but Kristen Wiig could really do with some better films to showcase her brilliance. Put her and Bill Hader in more films please. Now I've got one more week until Gemma Arterton returns in Prince of Persia: The Digitally Enhanced Sands of a Long Running Franchise.

May 23 - 12:38 PM

Marshall S.

Marshall Selin

That joke really sucked, sorry.

May 23 - 01:42 PM

IBelievedInHarveyDent

Jim Huete

terrible.

May 23 - 01:51 PM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

I'm sorry. I was trying to follow in the spirit of Macgruber without resorting to childish poop jokes and gratuitous language. Thus all we got was a awful joke. Glad you enjoyed it.

May 23 - 03:02 PM

KJ Cassidy

kurt cassidy

I enjoyed it...

May 24 - 07:59 AM

Sebastian R.

SEBASTIAN BLAH

I hate to say it, but it was kind of lolish.

May 25 - 08:34 AM

waggaga1

noel noel

I thought MacGruber would've done better... Wasn't expecting to see it though. So I'm indifferent.

But Shrek, dang! I know the last one was bad, but I didn't think it'd affect the sequel this much... Haha. Oh well. Maybe now they won't make another one.

May 23 - 01:16 PM

waffleslayer

Eric Fowler

A bit surprising that Macgruber failed so epically...I never thought it would come close to Shrek or Iron Man 2, but I thought it'd be able to snag 3rd or 4th with a decent opening. People obviously thought it looked really stupid.

May 23 - 01:19 PM

Marshall S.

Marshall Selin

That joke really sucked, sorry.

May 23 - 01:42 PM

IBelievedInHarveyDent

Jim Huete

terrible.

May 23 - 01:51 PM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

May 23 - 03:02 PM

KJ Cassidy

kurt cassidy

I enjoyed it...

May 24 - 07:59 AM

Sebastian R.

SEBASTIAN BLAH

I hate to say it, but it was kind of lolish.

May 25 - 08:34 AM

KJ Cassidy

kurt cassidy

I enjoyed it...

May 24 - 07:59 AM

Sebastian R.

SEBASTIAN BLAH

I hate to say it, but it was kind of lolish.

May 25 - 08:34 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

MacGruber wasn't funny on SNL in 3 minute increments. Why would I want to pay to sit through 2 hours of it?

May 23 - 01:58 PM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Only some are funny: The Betty White and MacGyver are my favorites.

May 23 - 02:11 PM

Raul R.

Raul Reis

Absolutely right! As much as I like Kirsten Wiig and even Will Forte, it was hard to imagine that sketch stretched into a movie...

May 23 - 05:22 PM

August M.

Agustin Macias

It doesn't matter for Paramount for Shrek to do so low, it earned money for both the top 2 spots, although most of Iron Man 2 earnings will be for Disney.

May 23 - 02:09 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

I'm not surprised that Shrek 4 won the weekend. Its probably going to have very weak legs in the coming weeks thanks to the mixed reception it has gotten.

Macgruber failing so much was a surprise. I guess the little trick they tried with only having positive early reviews failed. Although I think the main reason is that people just don't care about movies based on Saturday Night Live sketches. I mean the show has really fallen from its heyday in the 1980s and 1990s (the Tina Fey as Sarah Palin and Timberlake's Dick in a Box are the only notable things I can remember about SNL in the 2000s) so any movies derived from the 3 min sketch is probably doomed to fail.

May 23 - 02:09 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I think that's always going to be the case how people view SNL. People said the same thing when I was a kid that the Phil Hartman/Dana Carvey version was never going to be as good as the old cast...then a few years later they said the same thing about Sandler/Farley...then Farrell/Fallon...soon people will hold up this incarnation as the best it's ever been and how whoever they get next just isn't as good, but the fact will remain the shows been on TV almost 40 years and has buried every other competitor who's tried to imitate it. Keep on rockin' SNL. Besides Kenan and Bobby Moynahan I really like the new cast.

May 24 - 04:41 AM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Only some are funny: The Betty White and MacGyver are my favorites.

May 23 - 02:11 PM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

May 23 - 03:02 PM

KJ Cassidy

kurt cassidy

I enjoyed it...

May 24 - 07:59 AM

Sebastian R.

SEBASTIAN BLAH

I hate to say it, but it was kind of lolish.

May 25 - 08:34 AM

thedownstar

ryan brown

I'm looking at the next few weeks of movies opening up, this summer may be as vacuous as the last one as far as that break-out hit. Iron Man 2 was worth watching, Robin Hood had its moments, but there doesn't look like a film that will all of the various audience niches and make it a blockbuster a la Dark Knight or Transformers 2 (unfortunately). Maybe "Toy Story 3?" I don't see "Prince Of Persia" making 200 million when it leaves theatres. "Sex in the City 2?"

And why no "McGruber" love? It's the only comedy that opened in the past few weeks. I don't get it, isn't it what summer movies are all about, over-the-top cheese, yet in this case diliberately so?

May 23 - 03:20 PM

Thelastholdout

Douglas Wake

The movie was a hard "R." And I'm guessing that some people, like me, are pissed that they adapted Macgruber into a movie before they did something with MacGuyver, which was actually a damned cool show.

May 23 - 07:12 PM

thedownstar

ryan brown

I meant to say "unite all of the various audience niches"....... not leave a sentence completely indecipherable. My bad.

May 23 - 03:21 PM

ToDandy

Todd Anderson

I really liked the Macgruber pepsi commercials that also featured McGyver and he called Macgruber a sell out. Those were pretty darn funny. still......don't know if I could take 2 hours of that.

May 23 - 03:23 PM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Oh yeah, last year's Super Bowl Ads.

May 23 - 06:22 PM

Bloody Mathias

Mathias N/A

Let's not kid ourselves, Sex and the City 2 and Prince of Persia will not doubt suck.

We'll have to wait two weeks, until June 4th when Splice opens to see the next promising film. It's got a lot of buzz and i hope it delivers.

May 23 - 03:49 PM

Dachshund96

Alpha Z

I will be going to see Splice. When I see previews though I just can't help but think of Species. I am sure they won't be the same, will they?

May 23 - 03:54 PM

KJ Cassidy

kurt cassidy

The whole DNA things the same, but the rest of the plot is completely different.

May 23 - 04:04 PM

blattman

Mike Greenblatt

I go back to the 70's and think Embryo with Rock Hudson.

As for Shreck, I hated part three, but four was fun and charming. Yes, the characters are very familiar by this point, so this was a nice was to keep it a bit fresh and bow out like a proper fairy tale, with an ending and a happily ever after. It is a good family film, not just for the kids.

May 24 - 10:22 AM

Dachshund96

Alpha Z

May 23 - 03:54 PM

KJ Cassidy

kurt cassidy

May 23 - 04:04 PM

blattman

Mike Greenblatt

I go back to the 70's and think Embryo with Rock Hudson.

May 24 - 10:22 AM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships