Shrek the Halls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shrek the Halls Reviews

Kyle F.
½ June 8, 2010
Instant Christmas classic!A breath of fresh air after Shrek the Third. Plenty of zip and Donkey Christmas cheer, along with total Christmas mayhem!
deano
½ December 2, 2007
There are lots of laughs with Shrek, his family and friends after Shrek the Third.
Fortunately these are present in spades with the film being consistently funny with a hatful of really good laugh-out-loud moments. The German pigs are a treat and the gingerbread man's horrific experience with Santa is a clever reference as well as being very funny while Donkey of course does his usual fast talking stuff. Shrek and Fiona are, as normal, handed slightly weaker material as they are at the core of the film and thus not able to just drop in for a funny line or strong scene, but they are still fun. My favourite moment was Puss losing himself playing with a bauble ("I have shamed myself") ? that had me rolling. The voice work is roundly good and the laughs are reasonably evenly spread out for everyone to get a bite.
December 25, 2008
It's a nice short little Christmas animation and that's about it. Perfect for keeping the kids quiet for 26 minutes on Christmas day. All the voices are back but there's a distinct lack of any humour. Donkey just goes way passed annoying and Shrek seems to get picked on. The use of music just seems sticked in any old place, but at least another Eels tune was used.
thmtsang
December 15, 2008
Short animation with Shrek characters getting into the spirit of Christmas.
CloudStrife84
½ November 28, 2008
A fun holiday special starring everyone's favourite green ogre. I just wish it could have been a bit longer, because with its 20 minute running time, it felt like it was over before it even got started. Apart from that minor downside though, it's quite enjoyable. Even more so as it got me in the perfect mood for christmas.
ajaymuthecooldevils
February 10, 2008
Ordinary.. Luckily for me I haven't bought the dvd because i will very disappointed to know that this movie only half hour!!!
½ December 26, 2007
An ok mini Christmas helping of Shrek, would have been nice if it was just a bit longer!
December 25, 2007
A perfect Christmas special, destined to become a classic every year. As great as the California Raisins Christmas Show. Shrek is taught the spirit of Christmas. There are plenty of fun visits from Shrek-land characters and pop tunes which fit nicely. It works!
SilentWarProductions2009
½ December 10, 2007
Directed by: Gary Trousdale.
Starring: Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy, Antonio Banderas, Cameron Diaz.

How typical of Hollywood, taking a famous holiday and milking the audience with a 'special' on a worldwide phenomena, what should we be expecting come Easter? Shrek the Halls isn't actually that bad though, but how can I review a TV special?

The stories simple, it features the Shrek cast we have all known and loved and it gives the views of each characters take on Christmas, while Shrek doesn't know what it is and has never had one before. What made it entertaining enough was the fact that it actually contained more clever and witty humor than most of Shrek 3, the most recent downfall in the beloved series. The animation is excellent and the vibe is typical but sweet and I think this could have been made a whole lot more enjoyable if it was made in an hour feature, rather than quick cutting through scenes to make it barely 30 minutes alone.

I give it credit for being wittier and funnier than most of Shrek 3, which is an achievement for 30 minutes...but it deserved to be longer. A decent filler that doesn't ruin anything.
sanjurosamurai
December 21, 2007
this is a really solid addition to the shrek universe. it worked because the got the whole cast in for this despite it being a made for tv christmas show and it shared the same laughs and witty humor that you would find from the shrek films. this was pulled off very well.
½ January 4, 2009
Well i love Shrek to death, its agreat holiday piece, very cute and funny
jim222001us
½ April 29, 2008
Sadly for a short animated special, Shrek the Halls is better than Shrek the 3rd. I mean where were these writers when that movie was being made ?

It has the same humor that made the first and 2nd movies good. Plus, thank god there's no sign of the unfunny Artie. Hopefully they get Shrek 4 right, like they got this right. Hopefully they leave out Artie as well!
kylemydude
December 24, 2007
I watched this on Christmas Eve, and was pleasently surprised. It was superior to Shrek 3 in my opinion, not as good as the first two though. The first film really set the stage of the Shrek movies, and just had a new and fresh feel to it. The second was great mainly due to Puss in Boots, and is by far my favorite. The third was good, but not anything like the first two. This short film impressed me, I really enjoyed it, and like it better than Shrek 3D as well. The jokes were great, with Gingy afraid of santa, Puss in Boots with the ball on top of the santa hat, and the"Pigs in a blanket," were the most memoragle for me. You really should see this, it's an entertaining, fun way to spend 22 minutes.
August 16, 2011
Not as bad as I thought it would be, but it certainly isn't an instant classic that gives the true meaning of Christmas. Just a lot of immature or cheap jokes basically.
December 24, 2013
It was a very funny, very original and very special DreamWorks animated holiday special. It had really amazing animation, really great voice cast, really fun music, really great characters, really great visuals, lots of laughs and a great story. It's one of my favorite animated holiday specials of 2007. I will recommend this special to both kids and adults.
½ November 26, 2013
I watch and wait for this special every Christmas. It teaches a good lesson and makes you warm with happiness!
December 24, 2011
Not that good.. I loved the other movies but this short film just didn't do it for me, it was funny at certain points but deffinitely not something I will watch multiple times
June 8, 2010
good short film. Better than the 3 film. SEE IT.............................................................................................................................................................
May 30, 2010
People say Shrek the Halls has diverse characters like in Shrek and Shrek 2. That can't cover up the lame pop culture references and minimal run time on this 1000-year old fruitcake.
May 23, 2010
These off-shoot movie accompaniments were funny but it's possible to be "Shrek'ed out" and this definitely crosses the saturation line, especially after seeing the 100s of Christmas movies that are released every year (Frosty, Rudolph, et al).