Shut Up and Play the Hits Reviews

½ July 28, 2012
happiest, most beautiful, best documentary of 2012
November 24, 2014
A great concert documentary, but an even better investigation into hipster culture and what it means to be an artist in the minds of some.
September 2, 2013
Less a concert doc than a philosophical study of what it means to be a band (I mean, Chuck Klosterman is essentially the freaking narrator). I was surprised at how intimate a lot of the captured moments here are; seeing Murphy cry while looking through his gear for one of the last times was astonishingly moving). Intercutting those scenes within beautifully captured highlights of LCD Soundsystem's last concert ever adds a tremendous amount of weight to what could have easily been a lifeless concert DVD. You don't have to like them (or even know who James Murphy is) in order to get something out of this.
November 10, 2012
Honestly, the commentary and interviews with James Murphy weren't super enlightening. The Terri Gross interview I heard on "Fresh Air" was much better. But seriously, the cats and I had a mini dance party while the movie was on. You should've been there. Glad I got so see LCD Soundsystem before they called it quits.
September 19, 2012
What began as a hipster dance-collective ended up being one of the greatest bands to come out of New York City and one of the past decade's most enduring acts (and an absolute favorite of mine). So as heartbroken as many fans (myself included) were about LCD Soundsystem disbanding it still makes sense they would do so at the peak of their powers. And they chose to do big, with a four hour show at Madison Square Garden in April of last year, and this amazing doc captures the palpable, euphoric intensity of that moment, while also exploring frontman James Murphy's conflicted feelings about calling it quits. Shut Up and Play The Hits, from co-directors Will Lovelace and Dylan Southern, segues excellently from performances of LCD Soundsystem classic like 'Someone Great' and 'Losing My Edge' to the jarring normality of Murphy's life the morning after, complete with him making coffee and getting emotional at the sight of the now defunct bands touring gear. The most engaging moments involving Murphy come form his interview with writer Chuck Klosterman, where he opens up in surprising ways. That, paralleled with a truly mesmerizing show, makes for a concert film that is staggeringly powerful.
August 1, 2012
This is what I hoped it would be. 1/2 documentary, 1/2 footage of the epic last live show. Any LCD Soundsystem fan should watch this.
July 23, 2012
I'm admittedly a die hard fan, so of course I enjoyed the hell out of this. A very emotional experience, and the footage of the show is so great. The narrative is unique, consisting of an interview (with fucking Chuck Klosterman) between songs and footage of James' daily routine. Fascinating, but I'd say for fans and fans only
½ July 20, 2012
The most common positive review of a music documentary says "You'll love this even if you don't like this band!" I can't say that at all about Shut Up and Play the Hits. It's interesting, devastating, and emotionally resonant BECAUSE you love the band. This film is a love letter to LCD Soundsystem's career, spanning the weeks leading up to their final show and the day following it. Concert footage is paired with an interview by Chuck Klosterman in which James Murphy defends his decision, and shares his philosophy of music and culture. As I write that it doesn't sound that interesting, but Murphy is a fascinating guy to listen to. His intelligence, self-awareness, and self-consciousness is unparalleled in music today. He seems to have this deep understanding of these subjects. These comments combined with the footage from the final show remind me of just how much this band's music meant to me, and I couldn't think of a better send off than that show and this documentary.
July 4, 2015
The greatest house band of all time bids farewell to us and it's one hell of an awesome farewell.
September 28, 2013
At times touching, this concert documentary proves too pretentious in the end. I love James Murphy and his playful, self-conscious attention to artifice in his music and work, but it was a bit unbearable how full of himself he often came across in the film. Still, the music is excellent and the live performance was gorgeously shot, so there's still plenty to admire.
½ September 21, 2013
Of course beautiful and lovely but it didn't show their performance of "Home" :(((((
September 2, 2013
A touching viewpoint of a man who wishes to leave on his own terms but also satisfy the fans and friends he has made along the way. LCD Soundsystem's music was always complicated in the fact that the music and lyrics always battled for your heart. You wanted to dance and have a good time, but the lyrics wanted you to reflect and realize the frailty of life. This movie doesn't change that formula, I wanted to dance to the music in the film and hug the band for the years of joy they brought the world. To go out on top is always nice, cheers.
July 25, 2013
El antes, durante y despues de la despedida de LCD Soundsystem narrada a modo de concierto documental.
July 8, 2012
can't wait until this gets here!!
July 20, 2012
It would be really funny if someone didn't like this. I'd be like "motherfucker, why the fuck you seein' this shit if you don't... you know what? Get the fuck out of my house."
½ April 20, 2013
Meh! James Murphy hablando una y otra vez sobre el final, el fin del trayecto, sus sentimientos al respecto, cada vez enredándose más entre palabras y conceptos, me emboló. Me aburrí tanto escuchándolo que diría que este documental es el anti-The last waltz. Los números en vivo me parecieron ok. Hay un pibe llorando que lo muestran dos veces porque no parece haber demasiada gente emocionada al final. Era para tanto LCD? Este documental me hace pensar que no. Meh y más meh!
February 4, 2013
Fascinating. Reminds me of Shut Up And Sing, LOL!
½ January 25, 2013
Most indelible concert film I've ever seen. Mesmerizing!
January 21, 2013
The concert footage is well shot and brings you the fun of being there for a bands epic length and celebratory toned last concert. The interview footage is broadly discussed and boring. The interviewer and director force an importance in the event and this film.