91% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

Sid & Nancy Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

January 2, 2013
Biopics are always wonderful because we get to see an interesting character brought to life through film. In the case of this film, it is Sid Vicious, the volatile bass player for The Sex Pistols. Gary Oldman is absolutely mesmerizing in the role of Vicious, and he really makes this flawed film worth seeing. I say flawed because according to Johnny Rotten, events in the film didn't happen as such and it is full of inaccuracies. Now I'm not into punk rock and I tend to lead more on Heavy metal music than anything else, so I wouldn't know how accurate the film is. However it definitely is a compelling, well acted drama that belongs on the shelf of the best biopics ever filmed. Oldman is a great actor, and he is perfect in the part. Sid & Nancy is a film that manages to overcome its flaws by its strong performances alone. Whether you like the music or not, this is worth seeing if you love Gary Oldman's work, and with such talent, I'm surprised that he hasn't won an Oscar. This is an overlooked film in his career, as he would take on better roles in future films, nonetheless this is a stunning performance that showcases his talents as an actor at such an early phase in career. Directed by Alex Cross, Sid & Nancy is a film that should be seen by any cinema buff looking for a well acted biopic about an interesting musical icon and his volatile, drug induced life and his short term stint with The Sex Pistols.
Graham J

October 30, 2011
An amazing ride through the short life of the Sex Pistols and Sid Vicious featuring Gary Oldman in one of the best performances I've seen.
Spencer S

October 14, 2010
Most biopics of this era focus on the gritty disgust of self hatred and consequential drug use, but also feature the glamour and intrigue of being the most lusted for in an age of overindulgence and greed. In punk rock, there is already elements of grit fused with being rebellious and disorderly, glamour the farthest thing from artists' minds. So is the iconic love story between Sex Pistols bassist Sid Vicious and hot mess of a girlfriend Nancy Spungen. Sid is the emphasis of "live fast die young" roving around the stage shirtless and dirty as the day he was born. Now famous for joining the Sex Pistols bandwagon at the height of their fame, he meets Nancy, a groupie intent on clinging to whatever foothold to fame she can find. Both are obnoxious, loud, and more or less nonsensical, his speech slurred with a Cockney accent, hers a mix between a chain smoker and a four year old with temper tantrum issues. Oldman and Webb are convincingly reckless as their dependency for each other and drugs increases, becoming volatile, ripping apart the band and leading to unsuccessful ruin. Gritty isn't even the optimal word for these filth infested set of performances, the downward spiral more of a downhill slide, fast and unstoppable. Though Nancy is trying to jump start her hubby's career and dry out, she is met with fierce resistance, and abuse from a man who never apologizes. And so, their ending is perfect for the set of circumstances they're in, the only way to say goodbye for two heroes of the punk rock movement. Though both of these characters annoyed me without a flicker of respect for Sid's supposed talent, I think that's what makes the film work so well, realistic in a nauseating sort of way. It's threadbare and unsettling, but overall a good piece of work.
Tim S

February 19, 2010
I really don't appreciate the punk culture, so this is probably why I didn't enjoy it as much as a true Sid Vicious fan would. I was impressed with Gary Oldman's performance which is astounding in the fact that he can play a character such as that and find humanity within that character is a clinic. I am on the fence about Chloe Webb because there are scenes that are great, but then there are scenes that give a shrilling Joey Lauren Adams a run for her money. She was fucking annoying, but that's what she is supposed to be so it's hard for me to judge. Cool to see some of Roger Deakins' early work and still see he had the touch very early. Enjoyable watch, but not memorable.
Lady D

November 17, 2006
A little insight into the music star's volatile relationship with both his girlfriend and their drug addiction.

The film felt quite amateur in many parts throughout, yet Gary Oldman Certainly shone out above the rest.

It?s almost a cringeworthy voyeuristic look into the lifestyle and kind of makes it hard to sympathise with the couple in any way throughout.

Probably what it also showed was alittle less envolevemnt with The Sex Pistols than perhaps presumed it would.

I?m sure most of the dialogue and events shown in the film are down to speculation as no-one could possible know all of what went on between them.

Interesting chat with Director Alex Cox on the special Features who says the film that was going to be made was going to star Madonna and Rupert Everett in it and that he owed it to Punk to give it more of an authentic feel.

Also he admits to the ending being a bit more glamourised than events would have been realistically and that had they had showed the real events, the film may not have received it?s funding.
Eric S

November 23, 2009
Gary Oldman turns in a brilliant performance as the Sex Pistols's bassist Sid Vicious in this 1986 film. Vicious's raw charisma is what I believe helped push this band in the "real" punk direction, and Oldman's portrayal captures that essence.
Unfortunately for Sid, he gets involved with an influential, problematic American girl named Nancy Spungen(Chloe Webb) who wants Sid all to herself, and creates various problems by filling Sid's naive head with delusions of grandeur.
Oldman's ability as an actor to show the vulnerability in every character he plays is well shown in this film even though Sid Vicious was essentially a victim of someone who wanted more for themselves through his name, and by dragging him into a sordid world of addiction on many levels.
Conner R

November 18, 2009
Gary Oldman physically and emotionally embodies Sid Vicious, that alone is worth seeing the movie. Beyond that, it's your typical biopic. Chloe Webb was decent at best, her performance really came off bad next to Gary Oldman. It covers a lot of ground with the relationship, but the Sex Pistols are not as prevalent as one might expect.
Anthony L

September 16, 2009
Gary Oldman has played a huge array of characters, Lee Harvey Oswald, Dracula, Ludwig van Beethoven, and he is good as all of them but for me, his portrayal of Sid Vicious is his finest.
flixsterman
flixsterman

January 6, 2009
Though I've never been a fan of The Sex Pistols I did, years ago, read a biography of Nancy Spungen that was written by her mother. Therefore I had a bit of empathetic preconception about what this film was about and where it was going to lead me. In a nutshell, it's the tragically true story of two social misfits who spiral downward on a drug induced odyssey of music, methadone and melodrama. Sort of a '70's version of Romeo & Juliet, if Juliet were a punk rock groupie and Romeo a tar heroine addict. This was indeed a match made in heaven destined for a life of hell.

Of course Gary Oldman did a spectacular job becoming Sex Pistols' front man Sid Vicious. Were it not for his physical characteristics that vaguely remind us it's Gary Oldman, he'd completely disappear into the character. He's just that good. What pleasantly surprised me was how Chloe Webb gave Nancy a deserving degree of likeability. I got the sense that, had she made some better choices in her life, Nancy would have been someone who was charismatic and utterly loveable. Webb's humanistic portrayal gives Oldman the reign to express Sid's romantic co-dependency on a whole new level. Great synergy in two outstanding performances (and the film's not bad either!).
Michael S

March 1, 2007
One of the best bio-pics ever made. Gary Oldman gives his best, most haunting performance to date.
garyX
garyX

May 8, 2007
Gary Oldman is perfectly cast as doomed punk rocker Sid Vicious embroiled in a cycle of self destruction and drugs with girlfriend Nancy Spungen. A brilliant biopic that captures the turbulent life and times of the burgeoning punk movement from cult director Alex Cox with an unsurprisingly great soundtrack.
nuheart
nuheart

June 17, 2007
Annoying, and worse, boring.
Michael G

December 3, 2006
I watched this every day when I was in 7th grade and really dug it. But I watched it again recently and it sucks. Oldman's great, but it sucks!
Logan G

March 2, 2011
An insightful look of Sid's tragic life.
Yinalí R

June 9, 2008
Very well acted and portrayed by Gary Oldman. This is why I give it this rating.
Alec B

July 15, 2010
The problem with so many biopics that depict musicians is that they all follow the same basic formula. The humble begginings, to massive popularity, to downward spiral, to redemption and finally the comback (See 'Ray' and "Walk the Line' for the best examples of this). What makes Sid Vicious so interesting is that its a downward spiral from the start, with no happy ending in sight. Alex Cox made an interesting choice in basically portraying the worst part of Vicious' life, the end. Both Gary Oldman (in what might be his best performance) and Chloe Wedd as Sid and Nancy are what really carry the film.
Mike T

November 1, 2007
Evocative, mesmerising illustration of a destructive lifestyle and relationship. Alex Cox does a fantastic job as a director with this film, guiding everyone involved into creating a singular vision. Amazing photography by the great Roger Deakins, and performances that are nothing short of remarkable. Gary Oldman is the standout, providing one of the best pieces of acting from the 1980s.
Marcus W

November 1, 2007
Oldman is mesmerising as Sid Vicious in this very-well-made-film about the "Punk John and Yoko". Granted they spend most of the film looking half dead, swearing, taking drugs and wrecking stuff, but there's a few moments scattered throughout where the two really connect and you get the feeling that behind all the anarchy they really did love each other.
Lee K

June 26, 2008
I loved this indie film, Gary Oldman in one of his finest portrayals as far as im concerned, and a cool movie to boot.
iLeo
iLeo

April 10, 2007
A personal favorite! Centralized in the time of my favorite decade which I wish I was in, unlike now.