Looks intriguing

I'm curious to see how this will turn out. I loved Rooney Mara in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.
Chase The Lost
01-28-2013 12:30 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Chase The Lost

Chase: The Lost Trollfighter

So, I finally watched it last night and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. My only complaint is that the first half of the film had me hooked and mystified and the second half, (as the story exposed the intricacies of the plot through enigmatic yet meticulous details), I found that it seemed to drag along even though the film's run time was not that long. In short, I did enjoy the film as it was presented in a fashion that would make Hitchcock take a peek at it. However, I don't know that film itself is deserving of the 86% rating. It could be 80% at best. I think the acting performances were phenomenal and that really saved the movie. It would be an average film, otherwise. Soderbergh's style is unmistakably evident throughout and despite its shortcomings, I did enjoy it very much and I would reccommend it to anyone who is interested in a smart, yet enigmatic thriller.

Feb 13 - 07:54 AM

Greg Dinskisk

Greg Dinskisk

Because of Le Anne Lindsay, I'm going to do a list of my favorite Soderbergh films too, that sounds like fun...

1. Bubble -- A quietly disturbing film, incredibly realistic, incredibly spectacular.

2. Sex, Lies, and Videotape -- Sometimes even a master such as him cannot get past his first film, one of the best he's done.

3. Solaris -- An incredibly well done remake that works.

4. Ocean's Eleven -- Completely convoluted fun, interesting, and well acted.

5. Che -- I love me some historical epics.

6. Ocean's Thirteen -- A fun film, better than Twelve.

7. Side Effects -- What will undoubtably be one of my favorites of 2013. Incredibly tense and well done. Full Review here: http://www.youwoncannes.com/2013/02/08/movie-review-side-effects-2013/

8. Magic Mike -- A really well done film, one of my favorites from 2012, showing Channing Tatum does indeed have far spread acting chops. Interesting story, surrounded by the stripping.

9. The Girlfriend Experience -- Wow. Nothing on EARTH like this film. Out of the blue, one of his random avaunt-garde films he does now and again, like Bubble, what I consider to be his masterpiece.

10. The Informant! -- This was an interestingly written, well acted and directed film starring Matt Damon... not much like it!

11. Traffic -- I dunno... I feel weird talking about this one.

12. Haywire -- Advertised completely wrong... A good movie, but I'm not sure I get it too much. I need to see this one again.

13. Erin Brockovich -- I'm not too crazy about this film, I like it, don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure how much there was TO it, compared to most everything else he's done...

14. Ocean's Twelve -- I liked it, but... Gah, definitely one of his lesser films.

There are many others by him I haven't seen by him that I soon will. There has not been one by him I HAVEN'T liked yet.

Feb 9 - 07:59 PM

Tinseltine

Le Anne Lindsay

My list of Soderbergh movies in order of favorite to least favorite:
1. Erin Brockovich (2000)
2. Magic Mike (2012) (click for T & T post)
3. Traffic (2000)
4. Contagion (2011)
5. Side Effects (2013)
6. Ocean's Eleven (2001)
7. Out of Sight (1998)
8. Haywire (2011) (click for T & T post)
9. The Limey (1999)
10. Sex, Lies, and Videotape (1989)
11. Ocean's Twelve (2004)
12 Ocean's Thirteen (2007)
13.The Girlfriend Experience (2009)

Feb 9 - 12:38 PM

Justin

Justin R

Been waiting for to watch this movie for a while. Rooney Mara is a knockout.

Feb 7 - 03:29 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

i am going crazy for this movie, cant wait

Feb 2 - 01:49 PM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

I find usually that the critics tend to overrate allot of Soderbergh's recent work. I mean Traffic and the Limey were great, allot of his other stuff though in my opinion get's a far better reception than it deserves. Contaigen, Magic Mike and Haywire both got 80% or over, and I found all of them (especially Haywire) incredibly shallow and boring. The last two movies he made that I actually enjoyed were The Che Movies and the Informant. He's just not a director that I love that much.

Jan 30 - 03:21 PM

WS S.

WS Shannon

Shame. I personally liked Contaigion and Magic Mike, and Haywire was decent. I Soderbergh find him overrated at all.

Jan 30 - 06:59 PM

WS S.

WS Shannon

Shame. I personally liked Contaigion and Magic Mike, and Haywire was decent. I don't find Soderbergh him overrated at all.

Jan 30 - 07:00 PM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

Well I was saying it was my opinion, I'm not stating it as absolute fact. I realize he has allot of fans out there.

Jan 30 - 08:59 PM

WS S.

WS Shannon

Well I never said you had a 'wrong' opinion, and I even said I 'personally' liked his works so I didn't mean to speak for everyone else.

Jan 31 - 12:36 PM

Francesco F.

Francesco Fortuna

Personally, I really liked all thre of those movies. His movies just end up being mis-marketed for things they aren't. Magic Mike the most recent of the three, was marketed as a stripper movie but, was really a character study movie.

Jan 31 - 11:43 AM

WS S.

WS Shannon

Yeah, I noticed that (there was actually very few important parts and they were brief too). Magic Mike had such an independent style to it I was surprised by it's box office success. Rarely does a indy film be that successful, but of course Magic Mike had an aimed audience.

Jan 31 - 12:39 PM

Greg Dinskisk

Greg Dinskisk

Yeah, this looks great. Rooney Mara is a great actress; there's a good reason she's starting to get work with a many great directors

Jan 30 - 03:49 AM

Mac

Joe Jarosz

I just feel that Soderbergh should have gone out on a higher note. This is the dude that directed Traffic and he may choose to retire on this note? I don't care if this movie scores a 100%, this better not be his swan song. He needs to go out with an oscar contender.

Jan 29 - 10:44 AM

julian m.

julian marquez

Did Soderbergh fall in love with Channing Tatum or something? Not that I'm complaining, I enjoyed both Haywire and Magic Mike and this one looks quite interesting as well.

Jan 28 - 06:10 PM

Gene Bodyl

Gene Bodyl

I think this will end up being a really good film! I love psychological thrillers and there is no one better than Soderbergh to make them. I'm liking the cast since I always been a Jude Law fsn and Channing Tatum's stock as risen tremendously. As you mentioned, Rooney Mara was perfect in Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I think this will be a triumph as it will be Soderbergh's last theatrical film.

Jan 28 - 03:16 PM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

She only has one expression in every movie she's in: Victim. ::yawn:: The rest of the cast isn't anyone to write home about either. Jude Law? Spend some of that box office gross to fix your gross teeth. Channing Tatum? His name sounds like a wet fart and his acting fits his name. Catherine Zeta Jones is just for looks, as usual. I'll admit the trailer had me intrigued, until that "warning: side effects make include death" crap at the end, which had my friend and I laughing obnoxiously in the theater while people around us stared with annoyance.

pass

Jan 28 - 12:37 PM

Chase The Lost

Your cynicism is duly noted. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Jan 28 - 02:08 PM

julian m.

julian marquez

She's a victim in the girl with the dragon tattoo? Well color me shocked.
Criticizing someone for their physical appearance when their talent should be all that matters is, well, proper of someone with a low enough IQ that you don't reach, I'm going to assume you are around 15 and yet another victim of the horrible public education system. BTW, name calling someone for their names, very rich, are you a bully in your school? Rethorical question, I'm fairly certain of the answer.

Jan 28 - 06:09 PM

Chase The Lost

*high five*

Jan 28 - 07:04 PM

Zane B

Chum Chum

'in your dreams' being a cunt as usual, well done

Feb 3 - 05:25 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile