20% Transcendence Apr 18

100% Orphan Black: Season 2

Sidewalls Reviews

Wildaly M

April 18, 2014
Very witty romantic comedy. I highly recommend it.
Rubia

November 11, 2011
Perfect!

"I'm convinced that separations, divorces, domestic violence,
the excess of cable TVstations, the lack of communication,
listlessness,apathy, depression, suicide, neuroses, panic attacks,
obesity, tenseness, insecurity, hypochondria, stress and a sedentary lifestyle are attributable to architects and builders. I suffer from all of these illnesses except suicide."
June 8, 2013
the ability to be captive with solitariness and loneliness while immersed in the bustling, crowded city of Buenos Aires. Beautifully done.
vipulagupta1
February 17, 2013
idewalls is a quirky indie Argentinian movie that explores the explosive and divisive nature of today's metropolises on our life styles. Directed by Gustavo Taretto, the film uses Buenos Aires, as the setting of the general delineation of the human culture.
Sidewalls' two protagonists Martin and Mariana, provide semi-philosophical commentary to a mostly voice-over based narrative. Both represent the common dysfunctional state of being singles in a large city. Each lives in tiny apartment, suffers from new age phobias and is terribly lonely person in need of love, peace and companionship in a city of millions of people. "Sidewalls" examines multiple factors that have led to this compartmentalization of individuals from each other. It lays the blame on 21st century metropolises with their daunting, congested and ever-changing skylines, making the city uglier every turn and the people living in them strangers to one another. It takes a look at the web of cables connecting the city, but ironically making it's inhabitants more isolated. For instance, Martin and Mariana live on the same block but never meet. Their first interaction is through a virtual chat room.
Mariana is an architect and Martin is a web designer, and through their eyes we see the beauty of the architecture of Buenos Aires. Mariana explains in the movie that Sidewalls are the ugly sides of the buildings that no one pays attention to, that have all the repair marks, have cracks or are covered with ugly adverting. I believe Taretto is trying to say that people are the "Sidewalls" to this fast paced life of the new world. They are the marginalized, ignored and fractured remains of new millennium.
The movie however, on a whole has a hopeful comical feel to it. Whether it's Mariana ditching her date on the floor of a 20th floor apartment building, or Martin's romance with his dog walker, you will find yourself smiling often.
I personally thought the movie lost steam in certain places and when I checked online I found that it was originally made as a short film. When it did really well, the producers went back and expanded which could explain why it was so slow sometimes.
It's a bittersweet movie with solid performances from the leads Javier Drolas and Pilar Lopez and worthwhile watching once.
February 8, 2014
A clever comedy with unique style and imagery, the messages of romanticism, desperation, singularity and the resolution of inner conflicts are passed very effectively through the strong contrast of architecture, modern living and emotion in this movie.
February 6, 2014
Impossible not to love this movie.
May 16, 2013
Cool style. Nice way of telling story. Very good characters played by good acteurs, as always, we can cont with an argentinean film.
March 25, 2013
A argentine Classic!!!

A Must See contemporary romantic comedy!!
andres74varela
January 14, 2013
Interesante experimento de Taretto aunque un poco pasado de voz en off y con unas fallas en el guion que ponen la pelŪcula un poco aburrida. Sin embargo es interesante ver esta puesta en escena sobre la vida de dos personas que pueden vivir en cualquier urbe latina y cuya vida termina cruzŠndose de una forma un poco inevitable y un poco mal concluida.
September 16, 2012
O bom e velho (?) romantismo a l√° modernidade
December 2, 2012
Gostei no primeiro minuto.
October 30, 2012
Cu√°ntas verdades, ojal√° todos encontremos a Wally
or g.
October 11, 2012
nicely presented the human relationship ...but overdid it with the artistical presentation
September 14, 2012
My husband and I could not figure out how she knew "it was him" when she saw him on the street with his dog. We loved the movie, but please, can someone tell us, did we miss something here? Thanks
September 14, 2012
A very likable Argentinian indie, Sidewalls examines the pursuit of romance in a world that is increasingly becoming less about human interaction and more about the click of a mouse. That sounds rather bleak, but the film has a liveliness to it with fitting music, a great interwoven script and two likable lead characters. Everything about the movie is very serendipitous, with simple, but effective outcomes. So when the two finally meet each other in the dreary and underwhelming city of Buenos Aires (not ruining anything), you can't help but feel the spark of romance (like they do).
August 31, 2012
Para viernes suena perfecta!
Alina R.
August 9, 2012
Superbly done romantic comedy. It was thoughtful, sweet, intelligent and overall a great pick-me-up. In the crowded world of romantic comedies, it does well to stand out.
August 4, 2012
Gustavo Taretto is the next director to watch...
July 31, 2012
Achar o Wally na repressão do concreto da cidade pode ser difícil e depressivo mesmo.
July 12, 2012
a witty love story that's involving.