66% Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Sideways Reviews

July 25, 2014
I know I'm in the minority here but I have to be honest and say this is one of the worst films I've seen in a long time. Not only is it incredibly dull with the most pretentious script, but the two leads are the most horrendous characters who certainly do not deserve their happy endings. As much as I detested these characters I couldn't fault the performances from Giamatti and Thomas Haden Church and the beautiful scenery of California's wine country.
April 18, 2013
A very unique kind of comedy that this generation simply could never provide once more. If I'll be saying anything, it's easy for me to say that "Sideways" might just as well be my favourite comedy of the entire 2000's decade.
Maineutral R.
June 24, 2014
Really Rotten Tomatoes? All you have to say is "An emotional and heartfelt comedy."? I expected more professionalism from all of you. That out of the way, Sideways is indeed an emotional and heartfelt comedy...OK, but it has many other things too, so let's write about them.

First of all, I liked both Giamatti and Church, they have such characters that complete each other. They go through many things in their 7 day trip, and they are so believable and real, that everytime something happens to any of them, we feel it, every tear, every smile, every comedic stuff, everything. Verisimilitude is the correct word to talk about them. They also go through many negative moments too, but those also give the happier moments more strength and power, and also help the comedy to work. It could have gone the easy way putting a lot of slapstick and sex jokes, but they knew what they had in their hands, and they made the best out of it. The sex jokes are genuine and uncomfortable when they are supposed to be, I mean, even the characters in the movie know when it's uncomfortable. Instead of slapstick we get pretty much something closer to real life: just one little crazy thing here, one little discussion here, all keeping the tone through the movie's two hour and seven minute runtime. All these elements hold the movie together and it's just enough to make it an unforgettable experience.

I can hardly think of any problems I had with this movie, so I'll just leave it on "It's a great movie". It is, it's watchable, funny, intelligent and realistic. All the likeable elements and all the joy a movie should have. If you haven't watch it, do it the very first chance you have.
May 18, 2014
A great movie showing good character studies of 4 main characters sculpting it into a really heartfelt comedy throughout a period of a good 2 hours. Paul Giamatti although a bit unexpected plays the part incredibly well and the others doing a great job as well. The film is rather slow paced for its own good and helps you enter and live the characters life very well.
June 15, 2007
Great actors made a hit out of a stupid and unfunny script
June 23, 2014
A wine shnob or a wine schlub? "Are you chewing gum?" "Hmm it's tasty" Anybody enjoying a sip or two would find this flick amusing and will likely turn to the pretentious side slightly afterwards. However, other than the few witty funny dialogues about wines, I could hardly find the characters or storyline original. It's a good laugh for sure, especially over a glass of wine or two with a few close friends. It's hard to make a memorable story out of a familiar scene (California, bachelor party, vineyards), hence we must give credits to the witty punchlines and the great interpretation of the characters.
July 13, 2007
A different movie than I expected but a good one. I love Alexander Payne. Combines grief, wine talk and comedy to make an enjoyable watch.
June 15, 2014
A horrible movie about terrible people and the snobbery of self-proclaimed wine connoisseurs. It's not amusing, it's not engaging, it's not likeable, it's not interesting, it's not romantic and it's not dramatic. I can only assume that the reason it's rated so highly is because people are so caught up in its self-centered snobbery that they're afraid that dissenting opinion will paint them as unsophisticated.
June 15, 2014
The story and all of the characters were exceptionally human which I enjoyed. There was a lot of depth to the film, but the two main characters were weighed down by their own defining feature which didn't leave a lot of room for development. (One character is a hotshot and the other is depressed.)
February 18, 2014
Intelligent, funny and moving.
August 20, 2012
A great great movie. I love every second of it. So funny with such a great spirit. The pairing of Paul Giamatti and Thomas Haden Church is flawless. I'm not drinking any fucking Merlot!!!
June 7, 2014
So I have to say it's my finest movie, with outrageously hilarious and incredible moving, I saw the life like Miles is partly same as myself."I'm thumbprint on the window of a skyscraper." I know that now, because maybe I, in the some sorts of that, am the same guy with Miles : (
June 17, 2007
A really great movie about a man's struggle to get over divorce. Thomas Haden Church is very strange in his role as wingman/best friend.
Lucas A.
May 23, 2014
Fantastic. A very beautiful film about the views of two friends in a brilliant story. Another masterpiece by Alexander Payne. Genious!!!
May 23, 2014
So damn funny, and so damn emotional at the same time. Gorgeous to look at as well.
Tommy Wiseau
May 21, 2014
I really hate wine, and this movie has got me wanting to drink some wine.

This film is filled with GREAT performances!
May 19, 2014
A sophisticated and heartfelt comedy all about wine tasting and midlife crisis's. Both Church and Giamatti have good chemistry.Miles (Giamatti) is a depressed man stuck in his own life seeking change but is not 100% sure with even himself on change, a very believable character. Jack (Church) is man with a lust for life which gets him a lot of trouble, which gets on my nerves every once in a while and there is a slight lack of character development. I do like montage while they're driving that have the multiple screens. It just looks different in a good way. Overall "Sideways" is a fun and smart comedy that is quite good and worth watching.
May 8, 2014
Wasn't bored, wasn't entertained.
May 1, 2014
Directed by Alexander Payne, who had made a name for himself with Election (1999) and About Schmidt (2002), along with co-writing partner Jim Taylor took on this adaptation of Rex Pickett's 2004 novel, which Payne had optioned before it was published. It's a sunny yet melancholy look at middle age life during a week long break round wineries. The film makes for an entertaining and amusing little journey. Miles Raymond (Paul Giamatti) is a struggling writer who has had one book published and he's divorced and bordering on the verge of alcoholism. To take his mind of things, he takes his college roommate and voice over actor Jack Cole (Thomas Haden Church), who is a week away from getting married, on a week long trip around Santa Ynez Valley Wine Country, where Miles, a wine connoisseur, wants to educate Jack on the pleasures of wine. On the trip, Jack one last fling before marriage, and he finds it in winery employee Stephanie (Sandra Oh), who they meet through waitress Maya (Virginia Madsen), who Miles once had a relationship with, and he still has feelings for. Payne has a knack for making brilliant films about people which on the surface look like comedies, but they're actually dramedies, which have moments of awkwardness which you feel guilty for laughing at. But this has some brilliant performances throughout and a very witty and clever script.
April 30, 2014
Didn't know Paul Giamatti is such an incredible actor!