Sideways - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sideways Reviews

April 26, 2016
Another Alexander Payne road trip journey that offers nothing new in plot.
July 24, 2007
Not exactly life-changing but it had its moments. And Paul Giamatti.
October 17, 2015
Aside from a few good performances by Giamatti, Haden Church and Madsen, I think what drives this movie is the writing. This is some pretty darn good screenwriting right here.
March 22, 2016
I appreciated Sideways unpredictablity and performances more with a second viewing. Its a funny and well written film that mixes comedy and seriousness really well.
March 5, 2016
Alexander Payne masterfully blends dark humour with introspective drama in this well acted road trip.
February 12, 2016
my favorite movie of all time. Great film to practice acting too.
February 3, 2016
One of my all time favourites, just like the wine it features, it gets better with age a thought after consuming it.
½ November 14, 2013
An excellent 'dramedy'
November 25, 2015
A drama worth checking out with Paul Giamatti's performance as the core of the film
January 7, 2016
Devout to its journey's cause thanks to superb lead performances and a wonderful screenplay by Payne and Jim Taylor, Sideways is just like an excellent pinot: rich in many wonderful flavours, capturing middle-life's joyful highs and painful lows.
½ January 3, 2016
Funny sad one of best movies duels of all time overall highly recommend it Payne does it agin by giving us a another great story people dealing with lives harsh realities
½ December 25, 2014
I have yet to see a bad film directed by Payne. The 4 main characters have depth and meaning as does the film. I love the way this movie is filmed and the dialogue is sublime. Some movies just work and leave you wanting more.... It's rare one over two hours can do that.
November 1, 2015
This movie gave me all the feels (and also reminded me why I love Paul Giamatti)... and made me want to go pour a nice glass of pinot.
½ October 25, 2015
10/24/15 After our recent trip to Napa Valley, it just seemed appropriate to watch this again. I had already seen it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it the second time through as well. It is pretty funny what a mess these 2 guys are, and it is entertaining watching them bumble through the week. We were told in Napa that this film single-handedly killed the Merlot varietal of wine, and I am shocked by that. It was just one line in the film! (He says he will NOT drink Merlot). We also learned that the 1961 wine that he has been saving is indeed a Merlot! This film is somewhat of a classic and probably a must see for most adults.
½ June 18, 2015
3.5 stars for this life pondering drama. Miles is single and middle aged with the shallow perks and deep unhappiness that brings. Pinot noir is a thin skinned grape, wine is always changing and alive, red and white are just about the skins. Happy ending as miles connects with mya, who for some reason is interested in him. His friendship with jack is another interesting theme. Movie discusses the 'male menopause'.
October 11, 2015
One of the best movies I have ever seen and one in which the funnier scenes improve upon reviewing....now that I'm in that age bracket and have had many opportunities slip by, and perspective changes with each passing year, this is a film to relish and laugh both at and laugh with, much as I laugh at myself as I, too, fumble through life with varying levels of success
½ October 20, 2013
Sideways is easily recognizable as Alexander Payne movie. Slow paced, oscillating between funny and truly sad scenes. The dialogs are rambling (unless you are a wine snob yourself) and the male characters are such a mess, I didn't have much sympathy for them. On the bright side, the scenery and the atmosphere of the California wineries is familiar and realistic.
September 10, 2015
This was too slow and with too few plot points to keep me interested. I really couldn't believe the characters or their interactions. The scenes which should have been funny were only mildly amusing. 1001
August 22, 2015
Funniest film i've ever seen but not the best. The Wallet scene is still the funniest and this film just made me wet myself