Signs Reviews

May 12, 2007
While I perhaps did not understand all the apparent symbolism, I can certainly appreciate great suspense when I see it and this movie scared me. It is so toned down and slow, giving you only hints here and there, teasing you on the other end, that you just end up gripped with this film. Again, the philosophical part of the movie was completely lost on me (something about lost faith perhaps) but don't let that bog you down from watching this.
June 24, 2007
An expertly put-together sci-fi thriller which is the last great M. Night Shyamalan movie put out in over a decade. Mel Gibson and Joaquin Pheonix are excellent as two brothers trying to run a family together, but once their crops come under attack and an alien invasion seems imminent, personal history erupts as a war of possibly apocalyptic heights comes to Earth. This is right on par with "The Sixth Sense" in terms of Shyamalan's work, and the ending is one of my favorites of all-time as he masterfully interweaves a powerful soundtrack with a ferociously action-packed conclusion. A massively under-appreciated and misunderstood movie that will hopefully be more respected as the years go on. Gibson gives one of the best performances of his career, as does Phoenix, and the strong acting and astoundingly good story-telling makes this a flawless motion picture.
January 13, 2012
What can I say? This and "The Sixth Sense" seem to be M. Night (I'm gonna murder this guy's last name) Shamlayn's only good movies. This movie isn't your average alien invasion movie. It's a story with symbolism encrypted in the plot. Mel Gibson plays a former preacher who has lost on faith in God ever since his wife was killed a tragic accident. He has to raise his two children with the help of his brother played by Jaqouin Phoenix. The acting in this movie is solid. Say what you want about Mel Gibson, but the guy knows how to act. Phoenix is very good in his role and the child actors were also really convincing. M. Night Shamdada even makes a cameo as the guy who accidentally killed Mel Gibson's wife. (That dick.) There is one scene in this movie that scared me to the point experiencing many sleepless nights. (I was like 7, don't judge.) If you haven't seen the movie, I won't explain a lot about that scene, but let's put it this way: Those poor Brazilian kids will never have a birthday party the same way again. Some parts of this movie seemed incredibly drawn out and forced and some scenes near the end felt really slow and the writers didn't know what they wanted to do. But that should be expected in an M. Night Shamaladamn movie. This movie also requires a sharp mind. Some parts of the movie that are minor and seem pointless eventually play out to be important to the plot, so be on the lookout for those. All in all, this was a very entertaining and enjoyable film. The story was subtle, but in a very good way. It was directed in a way that only M. Night Shamackadonaroopashire could pull off, despite him making a lot of really crappy movies lately.
July 7, 2007
Not really into alien type movies but this is a great storyline about a family who defends their home from invasion. Reminds me of Independence Day and War of the Worlds. Great cast. Fab ending. Best M Night Shyamalan movie.
September 9, 2011
It has taken me a long time to see this movie, which still surprises me even after watching it as it is a typical movie that I would feel the need to see. However, on the reviews of a lot of other people I simply steered away from it until I found it today stashed away with my DVD's still sealed. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the movie, in particular the realistic relationships between the family characters (Gibson, Pheonix, Breslin and Culkin) as well as the alarmingly real emotional take on the situation they are faced with. Its the kind of movie where the hero is not afraid to break down and in the end it leaves you feeling like you watched something real, instead of something staged. Truly brilliant performances from the entire cast and a very good film indeed.
½ July 31, 2011
Descent sci-fi worth watching.
½ April 20, 2011
This is an exhilarating film that I would recommend to any thriller or horror fan. Such a great cast, too!
March 7, 2011
Not a bad movie at all, it has intense moments, great setting, but I just believe maybe the end scene which is the resolution to our story, didnt make much sense and could've been more well made.
October 11, 2008
Much better than what I expected, this film has a story and a heart. It's interesting to see how Shyamalan scared his audience not with what we can see, but what our mind's eye sees once we've been given the fodder. It's subtle and stylistic but in a utterly real and believable way. I didn't really like seeing the creature but I can't think of a better way to do it.
michael e.
½ February 10, 2011
Stupid, Stupid, STUPID! The aliens look like crap and there is one of the biggest plotholes ide ever seen, Hmm the aliens are allergic to water, and THEY COME TO A PLANET THAT IS ABOUT 85% WATER, HOW DO YOU SCREW THAT UP!!!!?
February 1, 2011
Signs is a unique take on the existence of extra terrestrials visiting Earth and despite its obvious shortfalls turns out to be a decent and enjoyable film.

Mel Gibson plays a father of two and ex man of the cloth who has lost his faith in God. After crop circles appear in his field and subsequently, around the World
it becomes obvious that we may not be alone.

While the acting leaves a lot to be desired, the storyline more than makes up for it. A slow first half is more than made up for once the little (or not so little
in this case) green men turn up to do whatever it is they wanted. Clever and well thought out, Signs will grip you until the very end and thankfully explains what is going on (unlike another Alien invasion film I can think
of starring Tom Cruise), it makes for a decent watch.

"There's a monster outside my room, can I have a glass of water? "
January 22, 2011
Signs is by far the best film by director M. Night Shyamalan. Signs is a truly original film from start to finish. It's the type of film that keeps you interested till the end. Signs is a remarkable film due to the fact that it combines elements of a horror film with that of a drama. Truly a work of originality, Signs is a superbly crafted film and is Shyamalan's greatest achievement as a director. Many People would disagree and say that The Sixth Sense is better, but for me Signs is a much better film with scares and plenty drama. The cast is excellent and give terrific performances. This film will definitely appeal to anyone who loves Horror, Suspense, Drama or Sci Fi. Signs is a film that has something for any film-goer. Overall this film won't disappoint as its filled with thrills and suspense and creepy moments. A very original film. Signs is the culmination of Shymalan's creativeness. After Signs he has made more bad movies, and he lost his touch. Only The Happening was decent enough, but it doesn't compare to this one. If you are to watch one Shyamalan film, make it this one. Signs is simply terrific. film making. It's too bad that Shyamalan's career went down the toilet after this.
½ August 11, 2010
This just isn't my cup of tea. I'm not much of a fan of M. Night anyhow. I mean, he isn't a terrible director, but he should probably give up on writing. He's just bad with dialouge and its films like "The Last Airbender", "The Happening", and this that prove that. As for movies like "Unbreakable" and "The Sixth Sense"...those are alright. His other movies I haven't seen, I'd say yet but me not liking the guy sort of keeps from wanting too.
½ June 26, 2010
a really good movie. B
½ January 31, 2010
The ending was stupid. But the rest of the movie was fine.
January 29, 2010
A jaw-dropping, Alien infestation of a movie! I was scared when I was a kid, but now I'm just astounded!
November 29, 2009
Honestly this movie still stays a mystery to me.
½ June 12, 2006
Like most of M. Night Shyamalan's films this one is loved by just as many people as it is hated. Reading some of the negative reviews this movie got here and among my friends I can only shake my head. People come with points of logic, calling it sci-fi, are being downright unfair to this fantastic film about coincidence, believe and fate. Shyamalan tells the story of an alien invasion on the example of a small family that has hardly gotten over the loss of the beloved mother. How the story mixes suspense about the strange happenings in corn circles and on a baby phone with the feelings the family has to go through is already well crafted and often reminiscent of Hitchcock. How all these pieces finally come together in the showdown is pure genius. James Newton Howard delivers a wonderfully scary score, the acting is great and the camera work outstanding. The Brazil birthday video scene still makes the hair on my neck stand up. A masterpiece. I pity the people who don't get it.
½ March 1, 2007
Gave this one a second chance, as many people questioned my judgement on this film, but my opinion remains, it?s a boring film!! I admit I really don?t have a mind for a lot of Sci-fi films, as much as I would not dispute the chance there could be intelligent lifeform out there, seeing this film did nothing for me in the sense it did most people.
½ November 18, 2009
A great take on the concept of aliens. It's a lot like a modern day War of the Worlds scenario. The thing that makes it such a great piece of horror is the large character work done, so that when things happen, you actually care. Mel Gibson and Joaquin Phoenix both did great jobs and made the viewing experience even better. The film making is even better than The Sixth Sense, although I liked Unbreakable a little bit more. At the core, it's a great sci-fi/horror story that doesn't disappoint.