100% John Wick Oct 24

48% Saw Oct 31
83% Nightcrawler Oct 31
57% Before I Go to Sleep Oct 31
50% Horns Oct 31

Silent Hill: Revelation (2012)

TOMATOMETER

Average Rating: 2.8/10
Reviews Counted: 55
Fresh: 3
Rotten: 52

Critics Consensus: Mediocre effort even by the standards of video game adaptations, Silent Hill: Revelation 3D features weak characters and an incomprehensible plot with a shortage of scares.

Average Rating: 3/10

Average Rating: 2.7/5
User Ratings: 41,536

Trailer

Movie Info

In Silent Hill: Revelation 3D, Heather Mason (Clemens) and her father (Bean) have been on the run, always one step ahead of dangerous forces that she doesn't fully understand. On the eve of her 18th birthday, plagued by horrific nightmares and the disappearance of her father, Heather discovers she's not who she thinks she is. The revelation leads her deeper into a demonic world that threatens to trap her forever. -- (C) Open Road

Rating:
R (for violence and disturbing images, some language and brief nudity)
Genre:
Open Road Films - Official Site

Cast

Related News & Features

Friend Ratings

No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.

Critic Reviews for Silent Hill: Revelation

All Critics (55) | Top Critics (12) | Fresh (3) | Rotten (52) | DVD (2)

"Revelation" is incredibly boring as well as totally baffling.

Full Review… | October 28, 2012
Newsday
Top Critic

Demonstrates what half the budget and twice the story can do to turn a fake nightmare into a real chore.

Film.com
Top Critic

The distinction between actors and special effects shrinks ever further in the video game-turned-horror film Silent Hill: Revelation 3D, which reduces its human players to plastic action figures in tired genre settings.

New York Times
Top Critic

Silent Hill: Revelation 3D quickly devolves into a smorgasbord of sutured faces and blades poking the viewer in the eye.

Boston Globe
Top Critic

It's never a good sign when the trailers playing before a film have richer, more complete narratives than the feature you've paid to see.

Los Angeles Times
Top Critic

An ugly, assaultive collection of jump-scares.

Entertainment Weekly
Top Critic

It manages to not only contort itself into a form that is simultaneously convoluted and stupid but it also skilfully avoids any audience engagement despite a tumultuous whirl of spectacle and noise.

Full Review… | November 25, 2013
Quickflix

The demon-haunted West Virginia town still gives the creeps... but this belated sequel proves to be only fitfully exciting and scary - mostly because the action stops every few minutes for yet another character to deliver reams of boring exposition.

Full Review… | March 19, 2013
Movie Talk

There has to be someone out there who can make a successful video-game adaptation because faith is being lost year after year and Silent Hill: Revelation does nothing for the many unwavering believers.

Full Review… | February 19, 2013
HeyUGuys

Just how terrible is SH3D? Well, at one point, writer-director Michael J. Bassett actually tries to scare you with a Kellogg's Frosted Pop-Tart. No kidding.

Full Review… | February 15, 2013

Put this much effort into bringing your idea of Hell to the screen, film fans will start calling you Satan. And not in a good way.

Full Review… | January 5, 2013
McClatchy-Tribune News Service

I can't imagine anyone who hasn't played the video game who would give a shout-out to the 'Silent Hill' sequel.

Full Review… | November 20, 2012
KWQC-TV (Iowa)

It's like going through a cheesy house of horrors at the local carnival. You want it to end, but not because it's scary.

Full Review… | November 11, 2012
Movie Chambers

( ... ) saturated with over-the-top sound effects. Did nobody realise that it's called Silent Hill?

Full Review… | November 9, 2012
Birmingham Mail

It's in too much of a rush, and tries to cram in so much plot that unless you're familiar with the game it's closely adapted from, chances are it will leave you baffled.

Full Review… | November 9, 2012
SFX Magazine

With Bean unable to save the unsavable, we're left with waves of hard-working special effects trying to torture Heather instead of being able to enjoy a top star on form.

Full Review… | November 7, 2012
Birmingham Post

While Silent Hill: Revelation 3D may not allay your hankering for a solid story, it'll definitely satisfy your blood-lust.

Full Review… | November 6, 2012
Horror.com

Can't even offer up the flashy production design that aficionados of the game liked about the Christophe Gans-directed original.

Full Review… | November 4, 2012

A sacrilegious adaptation of an excellent video game, Silent Hill: Revelation will infuriate gamers, and just confuse everyone else.

What Culture

"Come to Silent Hill" reads a "scary" message left for teen damsel Heather. Hell, no.

Irish Times

I realize it's called Silent Hill for a reason, but enduring this botched (video game-based) nightmare is like sleepwalking into the world's dullest Halloween party.

Austin Chronicle

The random, hectic storyline has little rhyme or reason, the unimaginative 3D feels like a rip-off and only Clemens seems to be taking this seriously.

Full Review… | November 1, 2012
Daily Express

The only solace is that there is no direct threat of a sequel.

Full Review… | November 1, 2012
The List

More of the same, on a cut-rate budget, without Gans's atmospheric reverie.

Boston Phoenix

This mess makes no sense and plods along for 90 minutes throwing things at us that are neither scary nor contributing to the tale.

Schmoes Know

I would rather go to Hell than sit through that movie again.

Schmoes Know

Audience Reviews for Silent Hill: Revelation

three stars!

YodaMasterJedi
MisterYoda ?

I've never been much of a fan of the first movie, "Silent Hill", but this sequel makes that look like a masterpiece. This movie is all effects(and some are pretty bad) and pretty much zero story, purpose, and there is absolutely nothing here that will scare anyone. The performances are all pretty bad, even Sean Bean does a half assed job. The only thing about this movie is the 3D. Now I didn't get a chance to watch this in 3D, but I will say if I ever get the chance I will. The effects are all specific for 3d with lots of stuff coming at the screen, which in 2D looks dumb, but in 3D I can imagine will look cool. Otherwise, stay as far away from this as possible. I loaned a copy to my parents who LOVE crazy horror movies(especially movies like "Megashark"), and they wouldn't even watch the entire thing.

Everett Johnson
Everett Johnson

½

The obvious sequel to the surprisingly decent first film but does this follow suit with good looks and swift chills?. No, no it doesn't, I'm not gonna beat around the bush this is your complete and utter obligatory pointless sequel that has lost all of the originals plus points...almost.

Plot is suppose to follow 'Silent Hill 3' but I can't say either way as I've never played the games. So I guess I can't really moan about it as it may be faithful, that still doesn't excuse it being rubbish though. Basically the cult that wreaked havoc for 'Sharon' in the first film are somehow still around and after her ass to drag back to Silent Hill for more satanic like rituals...as you do.

Didn't 'Sharon' kill off all the cult folk in the first film? didn't she also merge with the bad half of herself...'Alessa' and close that chapter also?. Yep that's what I thought yet somehow we are back to square one again in this sequel.

The cult manage to nab her dad (Bean is back with his dodgy US accent) so she is forced back to Silent Hill to rescue him. All this does is equal a lot of your typical standard horror fair as a blonde runs around screaming loads as she bumps into all manner of unique looking monsters. Almost an excuse just to show off new monsters really.

The monsters are very good looking and original in design I won't deny but there is no point to them. The intro of 'Pyramid Head' back into the fray is also pointless as again there is no reason for him to be there, he's just there because he's the most famous monster in the franchise. The visuals are still pretty crisp and full of blood n gore but that can't hide the sheer waste of time this film is. Pyramid also saves 'Heather/Sharon' on two occasions, not sure whether he meant to or not though, so is he a savior for good now?.

The cast is fine and continuity is upheld nicely as we do see Mitchell again (briefly), as I said Bean is back. Carrie-Anne Moss is the new main baddie here and basically does what the previous character tried in the first film, all over again (groan!). The best bit about her is when she changes into her monster alternate (so not a real person then?) which looks suspiciously like a character from 'Hellraiser' hehe but its a cool design. Malcolm McDowell is in there too for a small cameo, could have been anyone, made no difference, just a big name to grab more attention methinks.

It just feels desperately and awkwardly pieced together to squeeze out a money spinning sequel. If the film is faithful to the game then kudos, I don't know, as a newbie it just feels rehashed to me. Most of the same monsters are back and the ending just sets up yet more cash in sequels making you sense a 'Resident Evil' style run. At least it does look good and they have kept the adult theme unlike the other franchise I just mentioned.

phubbs1
Phil Hubbs

Sometimes sequels lack the power and interesting qualities of the original. Silent Hill: Revelation is a pretty interesting sequel that is not as bad as what critics have said. With that being said, the film is far from perfect, but is strangely entertaining for what it is. First and foremost, video games make for a hard idea to bring to the screen, and when they do, the result is either hit or miss. However, this sequel to Silent Hill is far better than any Uwe Boll video game adaptation. There are enough supernatural elements at work here to make it a worthwhile horror film that is simply mindless fun. At times, the film feels like a mess, as it goes from a dark, atmosphere with the evils of Silent Hill to the real world. That was done purely make this one connect to the game's original concept, and it is actually pretty cool. I would say that this is my guilty pleasure of the year 2012. This entry is purely made for fans of the game, and for other horror fans that enjoyed the first movie. Of course the original Silent Hill is far better, but this one does something different that actually works well enough to make for a pure popcorn horror flick to watch on a rainy night. I agree that the film has its flaws, nonetheless it's an effective little chiller that you either enjoy or not. Quite frankly I find this one to be underrated, and it doesn't deserve all the negativity it has received. This is a far better horror picture than The House at the End of the Street and Smiley. Silent Hill: Revelation is an average film that has plenty of effective elements, but could have toned down on confusing scenes a bit. The gore was good, and the supernatural elements are what kept me interested. This is a film that should only be seen by fans of the original, and no one else.

TheDudeLebowski65
Jeff "The Dude" Lebowski

Silent Hill: Revelation Quotes

Travis Grady:
I haven't taken this way in a long time.
Heather Mason:
Go to hell!
Alessa:
Can't you see? We're already here.
Vincent Carter:
Never build on an ancient Indian burial ground! I thought everybody knew that.
Dahlia Gillespie:
The darkness is coming. It's safer to be inside.
Douglas Cartland:
Everything your father ever told you is a lie!
Heather Mason:
You created this nightmare.
Alessa:
Everyone has a different nightmare in Silent Hill, I am theirs.

Discussion Forum

Discuss Silent Hill: Revelation on our Movie forum!