Silent Hill: Revelation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Silent Hill: Revelation Reviews

½ September 18, 2015
If "revelation" means endless exposition that doesn't reveal absolutely anything about what we already know from the first movie, then it would have been preferable to see something closer to an actual plot or at least more appealing sets, if Bessett had any imagination for that.
YodaMasterJedi
April 1, 2013
three stars!
March 16, 2013
I've never been much of a fan of the first movie, "Silent Hill", but this sequel makes that look like a masterpiece. This movie is all effects(and some are pretty bad) and pretty much zero story, purpose, and there is absolutely nothing here that will scare anyone. The performances are all pretty bad, even Sean Bean does a half assed job. The only thing about this movie is the 3D. Now I didn't get a chance to watch this in 3D, but I will say if I ever get the chance I will. The effects are all specific for 3d with lots of stuff coming at the screen, which in 2D looks dumb, but in 3D I can imagine will look cool. Otherwise, stay as far away from this as possible. I loaned a copy to my parents who LOVE crazy horror movies(especially movies like "Megashark"), and they wouldn't even watch the entire thing.
½ December 22, 2012
The obvious sequel to the surprisingly decent first film but does this follow suit with good looks and swift chills?. No, no it doesn't, I'm not gonna beat around the bush this is your complete and utter obligatory pointless sequel that has lost all of the originals plus points...almost.

Plot is suppose to follow 'Silent Hill 3' but I can't say either way as I've never played the games. So I guess I can't really moan about it as it may be faithful, that still doesn't excuse it being rubbish though. Basically the cult that wreaked havoc for 'Sharon' in the first film are somehow still around and after her ass to drag back to Silent Hill for more satanic like rituals...as you do.

Didn't 'Sharon' kill off all the cult folk in the first film? didn't she also merge with the bad half of herself...'Alessa' and close that chapter also?. Yep that's what I thought yet somehow we are back to square one again in this sequel.

The cult manage to nab her dad (Bean is back with his dodgy US accent) so she is forced back to Silent Hill to rescue him. All this does is equal a lot of your typical standard horror fair as a blonde runs around screaming loads as she bumps into all manner of unique looking monsters. Almost an excuse just to show off new monsters really.

The monsters are very good looking and original in design I won't deny but there is no point to them. The intro of 'Pyramid Head' back into the fray is also pointless as again there is no reason for him to be there, he's just there because he's the most famous monster in the franchise. The visuals are still pretty crisp and full of blood n gore but that can't hide the sheer waste of time this film is. Pyramid also saves 'Heather/Sharon' on two occasions, not sure whether he meant to or not though, so is he a savior for good now?.

The cast is fine and continuity is upheld nicely as we do see Mitchell again (briefly), as I said Bean is back. Carrie-Anne Moss is the new main baddie here and basically does what the previous character tried in the first film, all over again (groan!). The best bit about her is when she changes into her monster alternate (so not a real person then?) which looks suspiciously like a character from 'Hellraiser' hehe but its a cool design. Malcolm McDowell is in there too for a small cameo, could have been anyone, made no difference, just a big name to grab more attention methinks.

It just feels desperately and awkwardly pieced together to squeeze out a money spinning sequel. If the film is faithful to the game then kudos, I don't know, as a newbie it just feels rehashed to me. Most of the same monsters are back and the ending just sets up yet more cash in sequels making you sense a 'Resident Evil' style run. At least it does look good and they have kept the adult theme unlike the other franchise I just mentioned.
TheDudeLebowski65
December 9, 2012
Sometimes sequels lack the power and interesting qualities of the original. Silent Hill: Revelation is a pretty interesting sequel that is not as bad as what critics have said. With that being said, the film is far from perfect, but is strangely entertaining for what it is. First and foremost, video games make for a hard idea to bring to the screen, and when they do, the result is either hit or miss. However, this sequel to Silent Hill is far better than any Uwe Boll video game adaptation. There are enough supernatural elements at work here to make it a worthwhile horror film that is simply mindless fun. At times, the film feels like a mess, as it goes from a dark, atmosphere with the evils of Silent Hill to the real world. That was done purely make this one connect to the game's original concept, and it is actually pretty cool. I would say that this is my guilty pleasure of the year 2012. This entry is purely made for fans of the game, and for other horror fans that enjoyed the first movie. Of course the original Silent Hill is far better, but this one does something different that actually works well enough to make for a pure popcorn horror flick to watch on a rainy night. I agree that the film has its flaws, nonetheless it's an effective little chiller that you either enjoy or not. Quite frankly I find this one to be underrated, and it doesn't deserve all the negativity it has received. This is a far better horror picture than The House at the End of the Street and Smiley. Silent Hill: Revelation is an average film that has plenty of effective elements, but could have toned down on confusing scenes a bit. The gore was good, and the supernatural elements are what kept me interested. This is a film that should only be seen by fans of the original, and no one else.
366weirdmovies
October 31, 2012
The little girl from SILENT HILL, now grown into a teenager, returns to the mysterious West Virginia ghost town to save her father, who has been abducted by cultists. Badly scripted and hard to follow, with underdeveloped characters and some eye-rolling dialogue, but the creature designs and general atmosphere are good; dedicated horror/franchise fans should be able to wring some scary satisfaction out of the mess.
Mr Awesome
½ October 28, 2012
Let me start off with the following disclaimer: I am a fan of the Silent Hill video game franchise. In addition to the highly creative and frightening visuals, there's an aura of creeping dread that builds throughout the course of each game as it looms closer to it's climactic ending. Regardless of the respective plot, each game is about sinking further and further into the pits of personal hell. One can feel almost tainted after completing one of these games.

Silent Hill the film series is another matter. Both films try to pay lip service to the game's visuals, but they lack the emotional investment the games provoke. Adelaide Clemens plays Heather, a girl on the run with her father (Sean Bean). She thinks she's on the run because her dad killed a home invader, but actually they're trying to escape the people of the town of Silent Hill, who are trying to capture her and bring her back for some occult ceremony or something. Heather will every once in a while experience some weird hallucinations, like acid flashbacks or something, where walls melt away and people have sewn up holes for faces. When the townsfolk of Silent Hill kidnap her dad, it's up to her and her school friend Vincent (Kit Harington) to get him back, even if that means going to the forbidden town.

Silent Hill could've been better, and it could've been worse. It's the kind of movie video game detractors love to hate. Yes, there are some cool visuals, but the plot is stilted, and adds up to a lot of nothing. Not really scary by any definition, it's at least interesting to look at. The most disturbing thing about it is that it felt sort of like a "Twilight" film, or at least the romance aspect of it did. *Shudders* Now THAT'S horror...
½ March 27, 2015
Garbage. Not only a let down to the source material, but more importantly pisses in the face of the film it is a sequel to. The effects suck, the story *really* sucks and somehow even the acting sucks, despite knowing the cast is capable from their past work. Silent Hill: Revelation somehow brings everyone involved down to its low, low, low level.
Frisby2007
July 31, 2012
I waited 6 years...for THIS?!

Before I continue on, let me make it clear that I have NEVER played a single game in the Silent Hill franchise, despite my love for them. "How can you love a franchise you don't play?" you might be asking yourself right now. Well, to point that out, I actually began to read about each & every SH game on the Wikipedia & Silent Hill Wikia pages, & slowly began to love the franchise. I want to play at least the first two, then Homecoming, but that won't be happening anytime soon.

Anyways, back to this. So after that, you'd expect me to like this movie, & the previous one. Well, I DID like the first one, despite the inconsistencies (Pyramid should NOT have been put in there) & the extreme focus of the cult (something the first two or three games did not really emphasize on). But this sequel, no, no, it was awful.

Silent Hill was one of those video game adaptions that I TRULY waited for a sequel to, & now that I got it, I wish the sequel would have kept me waiting longer if it could have been done better. I will tell you though, that despite how bad of a game adaption this is, it is still far superior to any of the so-called 'game adaptions' that Uwe Boll has given you.

Cast/Acting: The only actors that returned from the first movie was Sean Bean's hot ass, & cameos from Radha Mitchell. The rest of the actors are recognizable, but unworthy. The acting in this movie is wooden, very wooden. Each actor looks so lifeless, bored, uninterested, & forced. With that, the movie honestly doesn't get much better you can assume.

Characters: Like the consensus already stated, the characters in this movie are weak. So weak that you'd be surprised how they don't die within the first 5 minutes of screen time the have. You honestly could live less of a shit about them, & instead you just want to see more of the cool-looking enemies that appear from the games. Sharon is afraid of any little thing that approaches her. You could throw a piece of toilet paper at her & she'd go bat-shit freaked out.

The only characters that aren't even characters you'll enjoy looking at are the Silent Hill enemies that only makes cameos in the movie, save for Pyramid Head (who still does NOT belong here).

Effects: The only redeeming value this movie has, save for the ending of the movie (and no, I don't mean the ending credits). The 3D was spectacular, & worth paying for. The effects to the monsters found in this movie were perfect & well done, but sadly, each monster is not given enough screen time, just like the first movie.

Plot/Story: First off, this movie is supposed to be a sequel to the first one, & is loosely adapted from the third Silent Hill game. But the story isn't actually there & it is so incomprehensible, & the plot is loaded with tons of inconsistencies & retcons. Yes, I used the word incomprehensible even after the consensus already stated it, but I thought of that word anyways as I watched the movie.

Not only does the movie adore referencing how it's a sequel to the first one, but it also enjoys leaving a lot of loose ends, lots of missing elements, & doesn't want to hold still. There are points in the story where you actually wonder what the hell does it have to do with the movie & why does this happen. There is also much less mythos & storytelling about Silent Hill in here than in the first one. The first movie gave you an excessive amount of information about the cult & Alessa, but very little on Silent Hill itself (and that's if they actually mentioned anything about Silent Hill).

The story also has lots of loose ends, like I said. There are so many things that don't connect, are not brought up earlier in the film to explain them, lots of inconsistencies, & at times just makes no sense. Not to mention that the story itself is rushed & the plot has been structured in a Point A to Point B setting. So not only will you ask yourself lots of things & wonder how any of the stuff is even possible or connects, but you'll get frustrated at how fast the questions keep getting throw at you.

Oh, and another big flaw the movie has? It's BORING! I sat down through this movie bored, & waiting for something interesting to happen. Even my little brother along with his friend were dying of boredom in the theater while they sat through it. The only interesting things that happened in the movie were the appearances by the monsters.

And again, Pyramid Head is not a being that should be in here; he is not the reminiscence of Sharon/Alessa as the movie makes him out to be, he is James Sunderland's reminiscence. But sadly, the reason he was added in both movies was because of how iconic he is to the franchise, & admittedly, if he didn't make an appearance, even a cameo, in either movies, most people would have a hard time seeing it as a Silent Hill adaption.

Finally, as I stated earlier, the ending to this movie was actually great next to ******Spoilers****** that epic battle between Pyramid Head & the Missionary. The ending gives you references to previous installments of the franchise, such as the cameo of Travis Grady from Silent hill Origins who picks up Sharon & her douche boyfriend in his truck after leaving Silent Hill, & the police cars passing them by along with the prisoner bus from Silent Hill Downpour******Spoiler end******

Dialogue: It is laughable, just laughable. Whatever so called 'words' that escape the lips of the actors/characters will only make you crack up of how bad they are. I even recall hearing Sharon or that douche guy she hung out with say "Let's leave together" even though they know nothing about each other. How does that add up?

Music/Score: I don't think there were any songs played in this movie, but the score was wonderful. Like the previous movie, the score matches perfectly with the Silent Hill feel & eerie atmosphere.

Overall, this movie sucked, & was a massive disappointment. Is it the worst video game adaption I have seen? No, that's taken by any of Uwe Boll's works. Is it the worst video game movie sequel I have seen? Nope, that is still taken by Resident Evil Apocalypse & Extinction.

Could I ask for another sequel? At first I said yes, but after reading that director Bassett would rather make an original sequel rather than another possible adaption to the games, I said no. Unless some other director, say Sam Raimi, decides to pick up another game of the franchise to adapt or reboot these ones, I don't want a sequel.

I would like to see Silent Hill Homecoming get an adaption, despite how negatively received it was (though it doesn't technically deserve it). I feel like Homecoming has such a perfect plot & story for a movie adaption, & that's only if it's going to be done right.
January 21, 2013
had some cool fx, but these cheap script quick 3d films are getting annoying, there was a couple good points of the film ill give it that, and it was highly tollerable. but you can sense the lack of effort in most parts.
½ October 25, 2012
Silent Hill: Revelation is bad for a video game movie, and that's saying something. It's rife with clichés, devoid of scares, full of laughable special effects, and lacks a coherent plot. Heather Mason (Adelaide Clemens) is a seventeen year-old girl with frequent nightmares about demonic cults and a quaint little town called Silent Hill, and as she approaches her eighteenth birthday she experiences a (wait for it) revelation about her dark past in Silent Hill and she's drawn into the creepy little town. The problem here is that the little town isn't creepy, nor is anything else about the movie. The script is full of throwaway dialogue that is below-average for a horror movie even, and the acting is pretty poor from nearly all the actors. I imagine it is much harder to act well when you're forced to work with a script this bad, but all the same the acting is cringe-worthy at times. The movie is overly long even at a seemingly brief 94 minutes because of a severe lack of story, or maybe it's too much of a convoluted story. Either way, it's enough to put you to sleep and the jump scares don't do much in the way of making it exciting. There is probably a way to do video game movies, but Silent Hill: Revelation is not the way to do it. It's universally bad and, regardless of whether you're familiar with the video games or not, you will be completely and utterly disappointed by it.
½ November 6, 2012
The original 2006 adaptation of the long running Silent Hill franchise was a tight, beautiful, lurid marathon of a film and a genuine break from the nihilistic, hastily thrown together productions that have come to define video game adaptations. Not surprisingly it has been unofficially awarded "the only good video game movie" by every video game and internet critic on the planet. Its sequel languished in development hell for over a half decade and apparently suffered from numerous problems even after production was greenlit. And as a result Silent Hill: Revelation is indeed inferior to its predecessor in almost every way, with the exception of running time. Few, if any scenes are genuinely scary. It is blatantly obvious even to me that the script went though numerous rewrites. Nevertheless, for Silent Hill fans there are diamonds in the rough to be salvaged here. Adapted from Silent Hill 3 (my personal favorite) numerous set pieces and disturbing images manage to entertain. Adelaide Clemens gives total commitment, and essentially becomes Heather Mason. And a couple of cameos from A-Lister actors manage to hold your attention, however briefly. Despite its numerous flaws, I can't bring myself to genuinely hate this movie. This must be comparable to how some view the Resident Evil films, and if that is the case then we have come to a rough understanding. Bottom line, if you want more video game adaptations with plot that are more faithful to its source material, you could do worse than Silent Hill Revelation. If not, then you won't be remiss for giving it a pass.

P.S. And yes, the Silent Hill Origins reference toward the end was pleasant, a sign that someone behind the camera gives a shit about the fans.
October 28, 2012
Brimming with W00t 3D that's way OMG but LMAO CG that's too OCD, this trip to Silent Hill deserves more of a TTYL than SRO reception. True, the first chapter proved to be a tepid spooker boasting a preposterous amount of gore, but it did develop a cult following, of sorts. Rather than improve upon its substandard origins, however, this deuce just spins its wheels of cheese. "The darkness is coming" gets spoken a ridiculous amount of times during the 94 minute running time, but this reviewer would've loved to have heard it at least once before descending into this cinematic Hell. Instead, he gets subjected to a paper-thin story about a young heroine looking for the truth about her past in an evil town, but - between the standard-issue jump-cut editing and gamer-verse plotting - the only Revelation to be found is the fact that this franchise should've stayed Silent.

In the latest R-rated horror flick, a teen (Clemens) looking for her missing father (Sean Bean) gets drawn into a strange and terrifying alternate reality that holds answers to the horrific nightmares that have plagued her since childhood.

At least, the baddies keep the action interesting. If Salvador Dali and H.P. Lovecraft had had a litter, they would've looked like the creatures here. Unfortunately, these terrific creations owe more to the video game on which Silent Hill is based than filmmaking magic. Beyond these villains, the scariest parts derive from Game of Thrones actor Harington failing to nail an American accent.

Bottom line: Drool on the Hill.
October 15, 2012
Horrible dialogue, inane plotting and laughable performances, yet for some reason, there is something oddly entertaining about this cacophony of white noise and not-so-special effects. The first Silent Hill was a guilty pleasure, and Revelation is just more of the same. There is really no justifiable reason to be entertained by this on any level, but alas, much like the film itself, my enjoyment of this simply defy's logic.
½ July 23, 2012
When it comes to video game adaptations, I often afford a bit of leeway for the filmmakers and the production as a whole. I ask myself, "does it stick to the source material", "does it bring the elements of the game to life", and lastly, "does it translate to film effectively". "Silent Hill: Revelation" hits on these three points to some extent and though it may not do so in the most widely accepted of ways, it is still enjoyable. Based almost entirely on the video game "Silent Hill 3", Adelaide Clemens not only proves she has a bright future in film (she strikes an uncanny resemblance to Michelle Williams), but brings to life the character of Heather/Sharon with an uncanny perfection. Toss in another great score, as well as some memorable moments, including my favorite scene involving a room full of the tortured nurses, and this sequel unfolds nicely. The film's main downfall is not hitting enough scares for the horror fans, allowing for too many conversations and set pieces to replace actual jumps. However, as a fan of the "Silent Hill" franchise, this film provides most of what I was looking for and even sets up another sequel; an "ooooooh" moment for those who have played the games.
Francisco G.
½ February 2, 2013
Stop raping Silent Hill!

Jesus, the first 3 videogames are still some of the best media I've ever experienced and I just can't believe how hard, slow and painful the downfall has been. First the videogames started to suck balls, then they made a weak movie, now "this"? Uwe Boll, you're a fuckin genius compared to the pigeons who made this. Cause, not even a simian could've come up with such crap, only braindead people. Just, avoid it. Really. It's not even a so bad, it turns out campy and fun kinda thing. It's just... wow, I hadn't seen something so bad in a while and I'm used and love to watch shit movies.

Mother of god, how can I forget I saw this...
½ December 14, 2012
Really disappointing. Enjoyed the first one and this one just had bad acting and generally a bad storyline.
October 25, 2012
Not as bad as I thought! The creature effects were incredible! The filmmakers really utilized the 3D technology. I had a lot of fun watching this movie.
October 23, 2014
For all the original's faults (and lo, they are legion) it could always fall back on its visuals; it was surreal and effective enough to work as something of a beautiful, yet unnerving, nightmare. Revelation is not so lucky; containing all the nonsensical exposition and none of the artistic verve (save the occasional flourish). Also, the less said about every performance, the better; though Clemens is just plucky enough to make you care...if you can get past her distracting resemblance to Michelle Williams.