• Directed By:
    David O. Russell
    In Theaters:
    Nov 21, 2012 Wide
    On DVD:
    Apr 30, 2013
  • The Weinstein Company

Jennifer Lawrence

Jennifer Lawrence is starting to annoy. Who dreamed she and Bradley Cooper would make a good on-screen couple? Let's cash in on The Hunger Games success!
Robbie W.
11-13-2012 02:53 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Tom K.

Tom Kneller

but... her acting was not oscar worthy in this sense. Ok, so she put up some dramatic scenes. Is that all it takes. How many people can act that? SO Many.

Jun 19 - 11:54 PM

Tom K.

Tom Kneller

IS HOT

Jun 19 - 11:53 PM

Fred Johnson

Fred Johnson

Imagine Mark Wahlberg in that role as was intended.

Mar 7 - 12:36 PM

Tom K.

Tom Kneller

:D

Jun 19 - 11:55 PM

Tyler H.

Tyler H

Sorry, I meant 'movie'

Feb 23 - 05:48 PM

Tyler H.

Tyler H

She's the freakin' pro. I hope she wins best actress for this movies. She was sooo good.

Feb 23 - 05:47 PM

Magic Mike

Mulholland Driver

It's the first time I can say I caught her "acting."
But,questionable direction and storyline choices in the second half didn't help her either.

Feb 23 - 07:50 AM

Jordan Dawn

Jordan Dawn

One of, if not the best love story and heart/soul movies of my life. I want what Tiffany & Pat found and I want it now!

Feb 22 - 06:56 PM

2000movies C.

2000movies Chinafan

Jennifer... please be couple with Bradley in real~~~~~~lovely lovely crazy couple...lol..

at her age she is super pass over all other young actress...!

Feb 16 - 02:13 AM

Natalie Moore

Natalie Moore

I first noticed Jennifer Lawrence in The Burning Plain, way before she was famous... Her performance was good enough that I looked for the name of the actress for her character. She also stands out as a n actress in Winter's Bone... Too bad not enough people saw her talent before Hunger Games or they wouldn't be saying silly things like this.

Feb 14 - 06:43 PM

Meagan Ashley

Meagan Ashley

well said... JLaw is super talented & intelligent in addition to beautiful. Huge fan.

Apr 12 - 07:44 PM

Chris - Kilkenny EI

Chris Kroczek

What can I say... Jen is one of, if not the hottest woman of our times. I guess it is the simplicity of her beauty combined with that look she can give.
Apart from the above, she plays very emotionally and passionately. That is worth an admiration - no doubts here. I look forward to see her in more ambitious projects, just like SLP.

Feb 8 - 01:40 AM

Imy Blinky

Imy Blinky

Are you joking? Jennifer Lawrence is immensely talented and completely OWNED this role. I thought the chemistry was adequate, too.

Though I must say, the performances... as great as they were, I didn't feel for any character. I just sat there as an onlooker to this chaos.

Feb 1 - 12:46 AM

Geoffrey Paul

Geoffrey Paul

Did you enjoy Silver Linings Playbook? I did! Read my blog:
http://filmguyblog.blogspot.com/2013/01/silver-linings-playbook.html

Jan 30 - 08:43 PM

Rufus Lindsey Jr.

Rufus Lindsey Jr.

This film was cast before Hunger Games, bud.

Jan 30 - 02:47 PM

Jimmy Maloney

Jimmy Maloney

SPOILER ALERT (for my question):

How does De Niro's character get money to open his restaurant? He lost the bet for the Giants/Eagles game, then goes double or nothing on the Cowboys/Eagles + dance competition parlay. Since he wins the parlay, he doesn't have to pay double, but he wins nothing.

Jan 23 - 11:48 PM

Fena P.

Fena Pjove

i found hd stream at katphhdstreams.dlyr.com

Jan 22 - 09:09 AM

Eric Alaska

Eric Fry

I am surprised this is considered a rom-com. No one laughed in the theater I saw it in. It's a pretty grim story of a seriously mentally ill man prone to violence who meets a young widow who apparently is also mentally ill or at least depressed. Then, partway through, it becomes predictable shallow shlock. I loved Lawrence in "Winter Bone." But in this she was entirely inexpressive. Maybe that's the way the character is supposed to be, as a depressed person. But it doesn't give much scope for acting. None of the characters moved me at all.

Jan 21 - 12:53 PM

Dave Rose

Dave Rose

Obviously you need a lot to get moved. All four acting nominations went to this film. You must be on meds yourself. You can always watch last stand with Arnold, that might be. Ore your level.

Jan 22 - 03:38 PM

Eric Alaska

Eric Fry

Thank you for treating me like dirt.

Jan 22 - 05:02 PM

Eric Alaska

Eric Fry

Actually, let me take another shot at it. If you want to see a great performance by Lawrence in a great movie, watch "Winter's Bone." Then compare it with the last half-hour of "Silver Linings Playbook."

Jan 22 - 05:14 PM

Magic Mike

Mulholland Driver

agreed.

Feb 23 - 07:51 AM

Anthony Thompson

Anthony Thompson

"Ore' his level? You'd better work on your spelling, son. Actually, Eric is right. Some of the characters in this film didn't ring true. Lawrence's character suddenly spouting a months worth of football scores? And just happened to be running at the same time as Cooper is numerous times (including the daylight trick or treating)? The pschiatrist who shows up at the game with his face painted? Etc.,etc. This movie strains credibility.

Jan 28 - 10:47 PM

todd123

Todd Garry

You neer considered the reason she knew about football could be her deceased husband??

Jan 30 - 09:04 PM

Marga Suratos

Marga Suratos

i think you missed the part where the character Tiffany was talking to Pat's parents and Pat Sr. mentioned that he was against his wife telling Tiffany where Pat would be running?

Feb 4 - 03:02 PM

Fred Johnson

Fred Johnson

She did her "research" to disprove the father's theory of ruined "ju ju".

Mar 7 - 12:44 PM

Allen Golod

Allen Golod

you deserve to be treated like that because you eviscerate a movie just because it isn't casablanca. you don't have to give an epic performance to allow the audience to connect. JL did a decent job in Silver Linings and it made everyone leave the theatre going home happy. That is all we need.

Feb 23 - 08:57 AM

Adam Fox

Adam Fox

Our theater laughed quite a lot. I laughed a whole lot. I loved this film. On the other hand I can see why some people hate it too. If you don't like the characters they can get on your nerves. I can't wait to see it again.

Mar 2 - 09:27 PM

Fred Johnson

Fred Johnson

I saw this movie a second time after all of the hype about Jennifer Lawrence's role. There were quite a few subtle things she did that were very understated but communicated a lot of feeling that I sort of missed the first viewing. The squinted look of confusion upon first meeting Pat, the aside "oh my god" when Pat discusses his lack of owning a cell phone, the snarled lip when the father starts laying into her, and the whispered "okay" at the end (circling back to the explanation at the dinner). There were quite a few more I am sure. You have to give or take credit from the director. It has been stated that five movies could have been made from the amount of different takes that were made of scenes. I'm sure there were plenty of expressive ones that were left out. It was one of my favorite performances by an actress in a long time if not ever. I bet the dvd sales will be staggering.

Mar 7 - 01:29 PM

RF2013

Richard Foster

Jennifer Lawrence with black hair, I think I'm in love. Oh, and she was pretty good in SLP too.

Jan 16 - 04:50 PM

Blake B.

Blake Black

Go back to writing about your ex's in silly little love-hate songs

Jan 20 - 12:28 PM

Mark A.

Mark Alexander

It is called fiction; people play different ages all the time. She was great in this movie. Especially their dancing. Watch non fiction if you don't want make believe.

Jan 6 - 01:02 PM

Craig S.

Craig Stoll

Jennifer is badly miscast in this film. I simply did not buy her relationship with Cooper for one second in this picture. I rolled my eyes when she said she was a widow already. What is she, 20 years old? Just badly cast, a casting decision that pulls you right out of the picture. And the scenario doesn't work. Bradley Cooper is madly in love with his wife. Other than he and Lawrence being out of their minds half the time, what do they have in common exactly? Very little. And the ending! What a mess. One shot of them at the end, all puppy dog, I guess they're all better now that they're in love. Yeah, right.

Jan 4 - 09:15 PM

amara d.

amara dimude

I totally agree with you! Don't think Bradley Cooper was the best for that role...he didn't look crazy enough, and Ifelt there was very little chemistry between him and Jennifer....It was quite unexpected for me when they got together in the end, cuz i thought the movie was moving in a different direction (i.e...he'll end but with nicky)

Jan 16 - 06:30 PM

Matt S.

Matt Smith

what does "he doesn't look crazy enough" mean? you want one flew over the coocoo's nest crazy to fulfill your requirement? that's one of the best parts of the movie- 2 people trying to get past the judgment of mental illness coming their way and finding a unique way to do so in the end.

Jan 21 - 05:52 PM

Colleen Hartnett

Colleen Hartnett

In complete agreement, Craig. With another actress, this hot mess might have made sense, 'might' being the operative word. Chemistry? ZERO. Cooper, DeNiro, & bless his heart, Anupam Kher (Dr. Cliff) did their best to entertain, but the success of this film is one of the great mysteries of the universe.

Jan 29 - 07:51 AM

John Polk

John Polk

Gary Ross, Donald Sutherland, Charlize Theron, Oliver Stone, David Russell, and many many other prominent film professionals have universally acclaimed Jennifer Lawrence as the most talented actress of her generation, a combination of honesty, talent, beauty and poise seen perhaps once in a lifetime. Which is why, director after director is attempting to secure her for the lead role in their films. If you want to see a tour de force of acting, watch "The Poker House", in which then 16-year-old Jennifer Lawrence plays the daughter of a prostitute, who finally finds a way to escape the tragedy of her life while saving her two younger siblings. If you're not impressed by her performance and amazing talent, you're obviously not capable of a credible opinion.

Dec 24 - 11:11 AM

Anne Peronne

Anne Peronne

Jan 5 - 11:19 PM

Brittany Brooshooft

Brittany Brooshooft

+1

Jan 23 - 08:09 PM

Natalie Moore

Natalie Moore

+2

Feb 14 - 06:47 PM

Adam Fox

Adam Fox

Some people don't get Jennifer for some reason. I'm not sure what it is about her. I love her and think she did a fantastic job. She deserved that Oscar.

Mar 2 - 09:30 PM

Tony D'Alterio

Tony D'Alterio

This will be the first movie I've seen with Jennifer in it!

Nov 26 - 05:52 AM

zinc alloy

zinc alloy

rent 'Winter's Bone'

Dec 2 - 10:07 AM

Robert G.

Robert Gassaway

The facts, according to director David O. Russell:

FACT: Silver Linings was cast well before Hunger Games was released & began shooting before and during Hunger Games' release.
FACT: Lawrence wanted this role so badly, that she begged to audition via Skype. This was highly unorthodox to Russell (who was auditioning slightly older actresses), but he was impressed by her determination, and was won over by her talent.

Nov 25 - 07:46 PM

Mitchell Nash

Mitchell Nash

Fact: I knew these facts and just saw this movie tonight. She was great. :)

Jan 1 - 05:27 PM

Carl Gullang

Carl Gullang

Hey Robbie, question for you. Did you actually see the movie? Because I saw the movie twice and came away with the same impression about Jennifer Lawrence. That impression is that she is the first breath of fresh air to be breathed into the motion picture industry in a very very long time. This is a woman who was not trained in acting, yet she managed to get nominated as Best Actress for "Winter Bone". This is a woman who only wanted to act in independent films, but was able to beat out a ton of other actresses to play Katniss Everdeen in "The Hunger Games", and we all know where that led. This is a woman who has been praised by her peers, among them Donald Sutherland and Robert De Nero, as being talented, gifted, and full of energy. This is a woman who has pretty much rejected the La-La Land Hollyweird lifestyle that has given us such "illuminaries" as Lindsay Lohan, and instead has chosen to stay true to herself and her roots.
And this is a woman who took on an extremely difficult role in "Silver Linings Playbook" of playing not only an older woman, but a seriously emotionally messed up woman, and ended up practically stealing the rest of her movie with her performance. She also worked magnificently alongside Bradley Cooper and there was clearly a chemistry between them that both myself and other audience members could see was working very well. It was also a performance that is a sure bet on giving her her second nomination for Best Actress and may even get her the award at the Oscars next February.
Now you can call that annoying from now until Halley's Comet stops by for a visit in the next who knows how many years, but yours will be the lone voice in the wilderness. As for me, I see an actress who takes her career very seriously and who I think has a very promising and extremely successful future ahead of her, and I applaud her for her openness and her honesty. She is not perfect, but at least she is the first to be honest enough to admit that herself, and she has in past interviews. This is why I say she is a breath of fresh air when it comes to the movie industry these days, and I look forward to any future films she will be doing.
And if you find that last statement annoying, well bully for you, you are entitled to your opinion....as wrong as it may be.

Nov 25 - 10:37 AM

Giuseppe Mirelli

Giuseppe Mirelli

To Gullang: You're entitled to your opinion, and quite an elaborate one I must mention. Your opinion though does not have a criterion; you base it solely on your personal taste, and frankly it is extremely mundane.

Jennifer Lawrence is a good actress, not a great actress; she's common and uninteresting and certainly does not have the depth or range of a Meryl Streep. My opinion is objective and has to do with experience, yours is subjective and has to do with your taste.

Nov 27 - 09:47 AM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

Experience and Taste and relative. Positive assessments like Carl's will win out over your cynical party-crashing attitude any day of the week. And as far as the rest of us are concerned, your opinion is just that, a personal one, with no elaboration to back it up, whereas Carl took the time to explain himself. Maybe you are a shallow dolt; maybe you just didn't have time because you're late for Starbucks. Either way, please tilt your head back a little farther, I can't see all the way up your nose you snobby SOB.

Dec 2 - 04:57 PM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

Experience and Taste are relative. Positive assessments like Carl's will win out over your cynical party-crashing attitude any day of the week. And as far as the rest of us are concerned, your opinion is just that, a personal one, with no elaboration to back it up, whereas Carl took the time to explain himself. Maybe you are a shallow dolt; maybe you just didn't have time because you're late for Starbucks. Either way, please tilt your head back a little farther, I can't see all the way up your nose you snobby SOB.

Dec 2 - 04:57 PM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

Experience and Taste are relative. Positive assessments like Carl's will win out over your cynical party-crashing attitude any day of the week. And as far as the rest of us are concerned, the opinions of yourself and Robbie Walkera are just that, a personal one, with no elaboration to back it up, whereas Carl took the time to explain himself. Maybe you are a shallow dolt; maybe you just didn't have time because you're late for Starbucks. Either way, please tilt your head back a little farther, I can't see all the way up your nose you snobby SOB.

Dec 2 - 05:00 PM

Linda Gottlieb

Linda Gottlieb

Jennifer Lawrence was wonderful, could win best actrest.
wonderful movie.

Dec 9 - 01:06 PM

Jacqueline Gilmore Estrella

Jacqueline Gilmore Estrella

To Giuseppe....Meryl Streep was young once and was very talented. So is Jennifer. It has to start somewhere. It is rare these days, that a movie can make me laugh and tear up at the same time. Jennifer and Bradly Cooper did an outstanding job of lifting my spirits! They both should get an Oscar and the movie should get the best picture...but....that's just my opinion....hehehe

Jan 11 - 07:44 PM

Brittany Brooshooft

Brittany Brooshooft

To Giuseppe,
Your sheer self confidence in asserting that your ?experience? reigns over taste in the arena of factuality is laudable (as well as quite hilarious), however I must posit that experience merely creates and influences taste, and that factuality lives in an entirely separate realm. Jennifer Lawrence is a good actress, this is a fact based on box office sales and critical reception. Meryl Streep is a good actress, this is a fact based on box office sales and critical reception. However, to say one is better than the other based on ?experience? is faulty, simply because the experience being had was yours alone, making it subjective and therefore an opinion or, in other words, taste.

Jan 23 - 08:29 PM

Natalie Moore

Natalie Moore

+1; well-said

Feb 14 - 06:49 PM

Luvagoo

Tallulah Robinson

I'm inclined to agree, and I adore her, but I can't sing her praises so definitively having only seen 2 of her movies...

Dec 9 - 07:18 PM

Mitchell Nash

Mitchell Nash

I thought she was great in this. :)

Jan 1 - 05:28 PM

ram b.

ram bond

well to me winter's bone was slow and dull, i couldn't get past the the 20 min mark, but she rocked in hunger games, hoping to see silver lining soon

Jan 11 - 12:58 PM

Star

Star Dust

Of course anyone who gets as popular and prevalent as she's gotten would get on some people's nerves. Par for the course. Grow up & get over it, it's just an actor. Quit living thought them.

Nov 24 - 04:16 PM

Star

Star Dust

Of course anyone who gets as popular and prevalent as she's gotten would get on some people's nerves. Par for the course. Grow up & get over it, it's just an actor. Quit living thought them.

Nov 24 - 03:52 PM

Gabriele Cookstown

Gabriele Cookstown

Jennifer is great , she is natural and convincing...there is no Katniss shining through.....

Nov 24 - 06:07 AM

Cameron Rapp

Cameron Rapp

She is phenomenal in this movie and everything else she has done. 'nuff said.

Nov 23 - 07:36 PM

zinc alloy

zinc alloy

Best young actress to come along in ages......

Nov 23 - 08:11 AM

Therese Buenafe

Therese Buenafe

THUMBS UP!

Nov 24 - 07:27 PM

Steve White

Steve White

WAYYYYYYY up!

Nov 26 - 11:35 AM

Fernando Betancourt

Fernando Betancourt

Jennifer is an amazingly talented actress. You obviously haven't seen her work in Winter's Bone to even judge here. I can't wait to see this movie.

Nov 22 - 11:57 AM

Margaret Thomas

Margaret Thomas

Is there any oxygen on the planet on which Rex Reed lives?

Nov 21 - 02:35 PM

Francesco F.

Francesco Fortuna

Haha thank you for posting this. I'm really just at a loss for words, overrated and needs acting lessons?? Seriously?

Nov 21 - 11:51 PM

Julia Dzagoeva

Julia Dzagoeva

AGREED.

Nov 17 - 09:10 PM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

Faggot

Jan 29 - 08:15 PM

Andrea Ryan

Andrea Ryan

What are you annoyed by, the fact that she's successful enough to appear in multiple films in one year? God help the actor who has your "blessing".

Nov 15 - 10:25 AM

Tiffany Glass

Tiffany Glass

Jennifer AND Bradley were amazing in this film. They had PERFECT chemistry and were VERy believable in every scene. They both deserve the Oscar nod's they are talking about! I would kill to work with either of these amazing talents!

Nov 14 - 11:16 PM

Josť Foix

Josť Foix

Actually Jennifer Lawrence is not just a hot actress, she is amazingly talented. And will be nominated for an Academy Award next year for second time.

Nov 13 - 02:25 PM

Francesco Fortuna

Francesco Fortuna

Lol what? Did it ever cross your mind that they maybe hired her to play the part because she might have actually been good and showed some chemistry with Bradley Cooper? Plus him and her are going to be playing a couple again in another movie set to come out next year.

Nov 13 - 07:55 AM

Robbie W.

Robbie Walkera

Did it cross your mind that the pairing is the result of wanting to pair two of the hottest actors on the planet without any care for chemistry? Get both the teen girls and their mothers in one fell swoop? No, Hollywood doesn't think like that. Clueless.

Nov 13 - 08:26 AM

Francesco Fortuna

Francesco Fortuna

Did you even see the movie? If you didn't then how do you know if they have any chemistry? Yes they may be one of the MANY hottest actors on the planet but at least they can act and if they're going to be a couple again in another movie then that should tell you that maybe they had some chemistry.

Nov 13 - 10:50 AM

Kat Michelle

Kat Michelle

Don't feed the trolls.

Nov 15 - 05:51 PM

Andrew 2.

Andrew 222

That was a pretty clueless statement. David O. Russell directed The Fighter, which won TWO actors Oscars which is pretty impressive. He also has been nominated for an Oscar, he's not the type of person who actually gives a shit about how much money his movies make or how much popularity they gain. And who cares if they're popular actors, they're also talented ones and they're great in the movie

Dec 7 - 01:29 PM

Luvagoo

Tallulah Robinson

Pretty sure the sex grab and a unique insight into mental illness in a hollywood movie are rather uncorrelated.

Dec 9 - 07:20 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile