• Directed By:
    David O. Russell
    In Theaters:
    Nov 21, 2012 Wide
    On DVD:
    Apr 30, 2013
  • The Weinstein Company

Started out great - then jumped the shark 3/4 of the way through

This movie really pulled me in as a semi-serious offbeat movie, then it veered into predictable rom-com land. Almost like it was two different movies. Really sad, because the performances were great up until you run into the therapist at the football game. You'll feel it happening - what could have been a great movie being hijacked by a sappy ending.
Steve Copeland
11-19-2012 05:07 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Stan Sinberg

Stan Sinberg

Yes. That's exactly when the movie started to go south - when the therapist showed his green face. And the "5.0" score thing... bad.

Jul 25 - 05:28 PM

Sandra Lachs

Sandra Lachs

agree totally. Happiness overcame all his mental health issues. Life just doesn't work that way. Unrealistic ending.

Jul 5 - 07:31 AM

Danielle  K.

Danielle King

quite right and i did not care for this movie, it is not that good to considered such an achievement. It's not that this movie is so very good, it's that people have missed much of what is good in the world, but suddenly looked upon this film and were mistaken into thinking this is somewhat..an amazing film. Ok I'm off, I no longer want to be in the presence of this film.

Jun 20 - 03:01 AM

Tom K.

Tom Kneller

:D

Jun 19 - 11:52 PM

Ila K.

Ila Kannagara

Thanks

Jun 19 - 11:32 PM

Billy N.

Billy Nolan

Overrated movie. Steve appreciate what you are saying.

Jun 19 - 11:24 PM

Asher Port

Asher Port

People who are saying "retard" and "idiot", abusing people for having different opinions. Seriously? You say words like this, yet at the same time you are saying: "I understand people with mental illness now! I can relate!!". No, you can't.
You are ironic in what you say, typical of person who doesn't really have a mind of their own, following other people who also don't have a mind.
TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE THEIR OWN JUSTIFIED OPINIONS - THANK YOU! YOU IMPROVE THIS SOCIETY.

Jun 19 - 10:25 PM

Asher Port

Asher Port

What I find so funny, is that there have been so so so many qualities movies made, that depict mental illness in a more understanding and correct light.
The thing is, just because this movie is a little offbeat, so many people now think it is the best thing ever! Guess they are so used to shitty rom-coms huh?
So so many movies shown at sundance better than this! People, you need to widen your range and understanding of films!
This is addressed to the people are totally ignorant and follow whatever Hollywood wants it to. This is not addressed to all of you, so please don't take unnecessary offence.

Jun 19 - 10:19 PM

Patricia Dennison

Patricia Dennison

There's no problem with a movie being entertaining. A movie should be entertaining but at the same time it should make you think, you should walk out enlightened or emotional.
This movie was very mild, boring at parts.
Jennifer's acting was the only reason which still kept the movie from totally collapsing.

Jun 19 - 10:12 PM

Patricia Dennison

Patricia Dennison

It's a good movie. Just overrated for what it is. it could have been better.
I'm still glad about the positive message it sends out.

Jun 19 - 10:05 PM

Micky D.

Micky Dennings

Problems with how it depicted Bi-polar disorder, but with that said, it is clearly specified in the film, and by the people who made it that Pat is undiagnosed-bipolar. That's good that they still maintain some sensitivity on the issue.
This is to the people who say the movie perfectly sums up Bi-polar syndrome: it doesn't, there are many forms.
Pat's character is actually a normal guy who just went through a traumatic experience, he was cheated on, he was disrespected. He became angry, sensitive, obsessive and depressed. That doesn't make him bi-polar in any way.
People who have bi-polar syndrome can relate to this in some ways because Pat is showing intense emotions. With that said however, just because you have some emotional issues, which everyone does, does not make you bipolar!
And one of the worst things you can say to someone with mental illness - "stop wasting time! Get out there!", or "get over it!". No, don't ever say that. You can care about them and guide them, but at the end of the day it is their own journey.

Jun 19 - 10:03 PM

Patricia Dennison

Patricia Dennison

That's really well said. I'm glad you brought that up!!

Jun 19 - 10:05 PM

Asher Port

Asher Port

Awesome, well done Micky! It's time people woke up. If anyone says they now understand what bi-polar syndrome is all about after this movie, you are sadly mistaken.
It's so frustrating that normal people think they can understand and relate to it now! Having EMOTIONS, DOES NOT MAKE YOU BI-POLAR!! And PAT was having understandable, totally understandable emotions! He can't even be considered mentally ill!!. - @

Jun 19 - 10:16 PM

Anne Marie Nielsen

Anne Marie Nielsen

Oh and on another note. The ignorance and stupididty this thread shows toward the mentally ill is horrifying. One person also said that he wanted the wife to be a delusion. This is so idiotic that my mind almost exploded. HE'S BIPOLAR YOU IDIOT. Even people with schizofrenia aren't like that. You are all deluded, if ya think that to portray mental illness correctly you have to portray them like STAGGERINGLY INACCURATE STEREOTYPES.FFS

Jun 13 - 10:03 AM

Micky D.

Micky Dennings

He's undiagnosed bi-polar by the way. The big problem with his film is the generalized ideas it expresses. The ending is positive, that's fine, that's good. Many people just don't like the cliched, typical romance ending that it finished off with. There's highs and lows in this movie.

Jun 19 - 09:58 PM

Patricia Dennison

Patricia Dennison

Exactly right, Pat is undiagnosed Bi-polar in the film.

Jun 19 - 10:08 PM

Patricia Dennison

Patricia Dennison

To Anne Marie Nielsen: This movie, in fact uses many forms of stereotypes, which you need to realize. The use of stereotypes helps a wider range of audience relate, but at the same time, it is disrespectful to people with bi-polar issues very unlike what is depicted in this movie.

Jun 19 - 10:09 PM

Anne Marie Nielsen

Anne Marie Nielsen

So no one here thinks it's "realistic" that mentally ill people can become happy? Well as a mentally ill person I'll just have to say: Fuck you. Fuck you very much.

Jun 13 - 09:57 AM

Linda Langer

Linda Langer

I agree 100%!!!

Feb 10 - 05:36 PM

Asher Port

Asher Port

YES. THANKS!

Jun 19 - 10:19 PM

Ila K.

Ila Kannagara

Thanks

Jun 19 - 11:33 PM

Jackie Laufeyson

Jackie Laufeyson

The ending. It was a happy ending, just because of that, it's not believable? it's sappy?. When Pat read Hemmingway's book, he's angry because of the sad ending. I think the film's ending was related to that. The world is depressing enough, and even in fiction we get more depressed. Why not once in a while, get a happy ending?

Feb 9 - 09:09 PM

Nena Linda

Nena Linda

Nice explanation, Jackie. But I'd still prefer another ending, it would be, just, more "logical" and memorable in my guess. But I still love your answer! ^^

Feb 10 - 08:34 AM

Patricia Dennison

Patricia Dennison

The problem is not with the happy ending, the problem is with the typical, cliched ending, and a very quick ending. Many things were out of sync in the film, which were better explained in the book.

Jun 19 - 10:10 PM

Craig McLaughlan

Craig McLaughlan

Two things that jarred with me: the family didn't seem credible as working class (a bit like a film with Michael Douglas NOT driving an S class Mercedes) and the idea of Bradley Cooper having recently been obese. Various other WTF moments but these 2 haven't been mentioned.

Feb 5 - 01:12 PM

John von Dohren

John von Dohren

It was great through the 3/4 mark?!?!?!? At the 1/4 mark we walked out because we simply couldn't take a movie that bad anymore!!!!!

Feb 4 - 05:02 PM

todd123

Todd Garry

people like you make no sense.

Feb 4 - 09:05 PM

Elizabeth Fischer

Elizabeth Fischer

I applaud you for walking out. Life is too short to waste time. I have walked out on movies, too, and would have walked on this one but a friend was treating me for my birthday. She liked it a lot more than I did. The psychiatrist was completely absurd with the football game scene and ending back at his client's house? Please! I've known folks with M.I. and it's not a comedy. The one good thing about this movie: Jennifer Lawrence. Great acting.

Feb 8 - 08:51 PM

Billy N.

Billy Nolan

HAHA!

Jun 19 - 11:24 PM

Susan Schaar

Susan Schaar

Steve: Spot on. My reaction as well. "SLP" suffers its own identity crisis at the three-quarter mark and just completely changes personas, going from a drama on the human condition to a rom-com about the "big dance competition." The whole question of Pat taking his meds is basically dropped, the manic-depressive episodes vanish, the weird dynamic with his family suddenly becomes cutesy, and we even got re-tread scenes from "Dirty Dancing." Makes you wonder if the original script was tampered by the executive suits looking for a more commercial ending.

Feb 3 - 02:02 PM

Patrick Acciani

Patrick Acciani

If you like contrived and stupid plot lines, corny, and predictable endings, you're going to love this movie. I thought I was going to see a deep emotional movie about a serious subject matter. It was the farthest thing from that. But then my bad, I did not see the genre was listed as a comedy.

Feb 2 - 04:42 AM

Asher Port

Asher Port

:D

Jun 19 - 10:21 PM

Imy Blinky

Imy Blinky

Yes! My thoughts exactly! Such a shame. I would've rather had a not-so-happy ending that was interesting than an easy emotional payoff like that.

Feb 1 - 12:37 AM

Dane Aulph

Dane Aulph

I agree Steve. What the hell were the critics watching that praised this film? And being nominated? There is 10 minutes left in the film and all of the sudden he isn't interested in his ex wife; that he has been pining for like a lunatic, and boom, he falls in love with whatever Lawerences character was called.

Jan 31 - 08:45 AM

Imy Blinky

Imy Blinky

I must say that there is a perfectly good reason for his sudden loss of interest in his wife. Because he's not in love with her - he's delusional and obsessed. His relationship with Lawrence's character kind of breaks the chains so to speak and he moves on to the next thing: her. Because that's what people like him do.

Feb 1 - 12:38 AM

Nena Linda

Nena Linda

I think the ending would be make sense if they showed more scenes about developing relationship between Lawrences & Pat. With this kind of sudden ending, it feels like there is something missing.

Feb 10 - 08:37 AM

Ila K.

Ila Kannagara

Yes nena. Thumbs

Jun 19 - 11:33 PM

John Binden

John Binden

It seems to me like a movie with an identity crisis. It wants to be a smart, hip indie movie and the camerawork and high-speed dialogue work to that end. But then it's loaded to the gunnels with star fire-power and eventually a combination of slebs mugging screen time and a happy, sappy ending mean its sells what soul it may have had. Not the worst movie in the world, but strangely charmless.

Jan 29 - 06:47 PM

Nena Linda

Nena Linda

I can say, it is "strangely charming" and "strangely charmless" at the same time! 0_o

Feb 10 - 08:39 AM

Anthony Thompson

Anthony Thompson

So true! And the girl who had evinced no interest in football suddenly started quoting the scores for the past month or so! At that point, I no longer believed.

Jan 28 - 10:01 PM

Abby Reyes

Abby Reyes

I think they were trying to imply that she (a) actually was a closet football fan - hence her hesitation when saying she did her research, or (b) she just cared about spending time with him so much that she went the distance to remember these things. I thought that part was brilliant.

Jan 29 - 05:16 PM

Dane Aulph

Dane Aulph

I can see what you are saying but I don't think the movie was smart enough for that Abby.

Jan 31 - 08:47 AM

Michael Hagood

Michael Hagood

I wasn't that impressed...so much of it seemed very contrived...in my view, not in a league with other Best Picture nominees.

Jan 27 - 07:46 PM

Jennifer Blackler

Jennifer Blackler

I agree. While enjoyed the movie I found the portrayel of mental illness (I am a health professional), did not always ring true and at times the movie appeared to be creating new unrelated story lines eg Tiffany suddenly quoting reams of information about football. Anyway it was entertaining but I do not think deserves the huge acclaim it has received.

Feb 8 - 10:43 AM

StephRuth B.

StephRuth Blakely

That is so true

Jun 20 - 03:19 AM

StephRuth B.

StephRuth Blakely

But Tiff did research into the subject thoroughly, apparently

Jun 20 - 03:19 AM

Brooke Greer

Brooke Greer

Hopes were high...however the depth wasn't too deep...darnit...

Jan 27 - 01:07 AM

hollis m.

hollis mills

i cant believe it is still making the money it is earning

Jan 26 - 09:17 AM

Aiden Parker

Aiden Parker

You forget that everyone was taking advantage of Pat AND he was aware of the situation. The happy ending was only happy because he chose the silver lining. That alone redeems the final 1/4 of the film and gives it permission to be a little sappy!

Jan 23 - 06:27 PM

rrmancebo1982

Raúl Reyes Mancebo

I agree with you. I still liked it, anyway. I must be an optimistic these days. Or maybe its the silver linings.

Jan 22 - 03:22 PM

Fred Rich

Fred Rich

I liked Tori's comment about thie wife delusion but it wouldn't' make such a crowd pleasing movie.Deniro plays a great dad.

Jan 22 - 02:55 PM

Mike C.

Mike C

I like De Niro's performance in this.

Jun 19 - 11:11 PM

Donna Moon

Donna Moon

I could not tell if he killed this wife's lover or hurt him badly or whether it happened the way he said it happened.

Jan 20 - 01:37 PM

Dan Benge

Dan Benge

There was a scene where they talked about how his wife might still be with the history teacher, so I'm sure it wasn't murder.

Feb 3 - 01:02 PM

Jaime Lannister

Jaime Lannister

I suppose he should have ended with his wife then? The ending of the film was obvious from the start but its how you get there that makes it a good film. Personally the only issue I had with it was the standard "girl runs away guy chases after to confess" trope. Other than that I thought it was solid.

Jan 19 - 02:06 PM

Teresa Mafalda

Teresa Mafalda

I think you make a valid point about "girl runs away guy chases", but my impression is that of a nod to the mid-film "guy runs away girl chases", with the same "Hey".

Jan 20 - 08:32 AM

susan b.

susan brown

The book was less about their relationship and more about his adjustment to life outside the hospital. I recommend the book! I also recommend Bradley Cooper's Limitless!

Jan 19 - 05:02 AM

Asher Port

Asher Port

Exactly, the book was smart, more refreshing. This is Hollywood's spin on it. They are just, finding new topics to make films about all the time, Homosexuality, mental illness, what next? I'm so annoyed by it.

Jun 19 - 10:22 PM

Mike C.

Mike C

You pretty much summed up what i wanted to say!!

Jun 19 - 11:11 PM

Kathi Noaker

Kathi Noaker

Call me superficial, but I'm all about the happy ending.

Jan 18 - 09:24 PM

Mike C.

Mike C

The ending whether happy or sad should not be the angle at which people decide if a movie is good or bad. I however agree somewhat with you for this film, and I like the positive message in this film.

Jun 19 - 11:13 PM

Carol D.

Carol Dangelis

This is the best thing Bradley Cooper has ever done, great performances all around actually.

Jan 18 - 04:57 PM

Nena Linda

Nena Linda

The Hangover..?

It is Jennifer Lawrence's.

Feb 10 - 08:42 AM

Billy N.

Billy Nolan

Bradley performances have never ever reached the point of ..wow. my opinion.

Jun 19 - 11:25 PM

Billy N.

Billy Nolan

Jen's acting partly saved the film!

Jun 19 - 11:25 PM

BobHarris

Rich Aurillia

Yeah that is also my feelings as well, i actually liked the film more than i thought i was going to but i really hope they dont give it the oscar.

Jan 17 - 04:33 PM

Blake B.

Blake Black

Your hopes are misplaced.

Jan 20 - 12:27 PM

WClaude

Claude Whiffen

I agree that it turned into a bit of a rom-com at certain points of the film but it didn't ruin the movie for me. The cast was great, Bradley Cooper and Robert DeNiro played great father and son rolls, Jennifer Lawrence really surprised me too.

Jan 16 - 02:09 PM

Thomas Lindholm

Thomas Lindholm

I agree. The movie went downhill from the parlay and onwards. Really liked it untill the bet was made but I was genuinely upset that they chose such a generic and cliché ending to an otherwise great movie.

Jan 12 - 10:12 AM

Jimmy Maloney

Jimmy Maloney

SPOILER ALERT (for my question):

How does De Niro's character get money to open his restaurant? He lost the bet for the Giants/Eagles game, then goes double or nothing on the Cowboys/Eagles + dance competition parlay. Since he wins the parlay, he doesn't have to pay double, but he wins nothing.

Jan 23 - 11:58 PM

Beret Furuseth Hagen

Beret Furuseth Hagen

I agree with Steve- it started out with lots of promise and then went downhill into comedy/schlock.

Jan 12 - 08:55 AM

Brent Starnes

Brent Starnes

maybe he should have shot her in the end

Dec 4 - 03:08 AM

John Rushing

John Rushing

nice one. it seems the disappointed reviewer was determined to have a bad night out. i'm usually doggedly and tiresomely negative; and i saw nothing not to like about this film. rollicking fun and touching.

Jan 13 - 06:29 AM

todd123

Todd Garry

LOL

Jan 30 - 07:03 PM

Brent Starnes

Brent Starnes

youre wrong steve

Dec 4 - 03:06 AM

Andy Graves

Andy Graves

I agree with Paul, I think if a film earns it's happy ending and is able to tie things up thematically then there is no shame in in being 'sappy' or clichéd. SLP did just that, it wore its heart on its sleeve the whole way through and it did so with nuance and genuine humanity

Nov 24 - 03:47 PM

Paul Jimenez

Paul Jimenez

...you mean the ending that is foreshadowed throughout the entire movie?

When Cooper did the whole Hemingway rant, it couldn't have spelled it out any clearer. He might as well have said "this movie is going to have a happy ending, deal with it"

I think it's sad that American film snobs dismiss any movie with a neatly wrapped up ending as too cliche. I think it's cliche for movies that don't earn a happy ending, but I think this one definitely went the distance.

Nov 24 - 02:22 AM

Steve Copeland

Steve Copeland

The question isn't the happy ending - hopefully everyone watching the movie will see that coming. I just expected it to be as clever as the rest of the movie.

Nov 27 - 06:21 PM

Aroreiel

Joanne Newton

How would you have ended it, Steve?

Dec 2 - 03:04 PM

Tori Croell

Tori Croell

I wanted the wife to be a delusion -- ie. he was never married, it was just some girl he was obsessed with and had called his wife. He still could have had his happy ending with Lawrence, but that would have added some depth in my opinion.

Dec 14 - 08:27 AM

Daniela Mahan

Daniela Mahan

I think that chosing Lawrence is much more meaningful that "the wife was a delusion". He tries to improve himself all along for the sole purpose of recovering his wife. And he chose Lawrence instead.

If it was a delusion, it is, I think, too lazy, and he would not choose J.Lawrence, she would become the only option available.

Jan 25 - 09:47 AM

todd123

Todd Garry

Tori the whole imagining a person plot is beyond played out.

Jan 30 - 07:05 PM

Asher Port

Asher Port

EXACTLY RIGHT STEVE.

Jun 19 - 10:30 PM

Billy N.

Billy Nolan

<3 STEVE. !

Jun 19 - 11:26 PM

Asher Port

Asher Port

Paul - this film did not go the distance, it was something like this. Obsessed with wife, obsessed with wife...etc.etc., then suddenly, oh wait! I LOVE TIFFANY NOW! I've loved her all this time!
THE BOOK went the distance.
Think about the title: SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK. Playbook is a sports reference. That's the smartness of it.
The film missed integral parts of the book, concentrating mainly on the relationship instead. It's to get more sales.
The film was muddled and it lacked what the book had.

Jun 19 - 10:33 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile