• Directed By:
    David O. Russell
    In Theaters:
    Nov 21, 2012 Wide
    On DVD:
    Apr 30, 2013
  • The Weinstein Company

Discussion of Film, Part 2.. SLP

4)Addressing people's opinions (what some fans of the film say)
?Haters don't like this movie because of the positive ending, which they think is unrealistic. They just don't understand?
There are many good aspects of this film, many scenes were raw and emotional. The thing here though, is that many people think this movie is unrealistic. This is not due to the ending being positive, it's good that the ending is positive! It is more to do with how it ended, and some problems with the movie's pacing, it seemed the ending was a little rushed, a little to eager to wrap up. In some ways it is also cliched in that it became a typical romance ending, but anyways. What I mean here is, it was an expected end. I think some more thought could have been put into the ending, that's all. In the novel, you are left with ending of Pat and Tiff saying they need eachother, that to be is more impactful, they do not declare some amazing love for eachother (Hollywood type ending), but rather, leaves readers with a little subtlety. You think, I'm so glad Pat and Tiff are together, but also, what's going to happen next?

?This movie is an amazing, realistic portrayal of bi-polar disorder?
Well, in many ways, you can't say that. Even the filmmakers themselves, and the director didn't say that. They all remained sensitive to the subject, they just wanted to promoted a good message. They left Pat to be someone with undiagnosed bi-polar, which means it is not confirmed. So as a note, please keep in mind, if you didn't know already, that there are many forms of Bi-Polar disorder.

?Jennifer's acting was amazing and if you don't like it you are jealous?, ?Bradley was so good, he is so relateable and good looking. What a star!?
Yeah, they did a good job, in my own opinion there could have been improvement too. One other thing is, actors' good looks and charm can hide flaws of the plot and script. Don't be inclined to like a movie just because of the actors, and dismiss others as ?bad, terrible?, simply because those movies don't have your favorite actors in it. and maybe some people don't even realise it.

?Anyone who doesn't like this movie is ignorant, and your movie collections and tastes are bad!?
Now comments like this which I have noticed, are rude, and unnecessary. People all have opinions, and simply because of the fact that some people do not like this film, does not make them have bad taste in everything. It's good that you defend, sometimes with desperation films you like, but keep an open mind. Personally I thought this movie was good, but had some flaws. My own personal rating would have been lower that this database rating, and some aspects of it all, to be honest, is hyped.

Many people understand this movie, some people understand this movie in a different way to others. So please, be respectful. I would love it if people discussed issues of the film below. I want to here what you have to say!
I'm very passionate about different views of this film, so that is why this was quite long. :)
Lauren N.
06-20-2013 11:37 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Patricia Dennison

Patricia Dennison

Sorry for question marks appearing where speech marks should be, don't know what happened

Jun 20 - 11:50 PM

Asher Port

Asher Port

Fantastic Lauren

Jun 20 - 11:48 PM

Find us on:                 
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile