• R, 2 hr. 2 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Silver Linings Playbook Reviews

Thomas J

January 4, 2013
I just do not see what all the fuss was about.
Apeneck F

November 12, 2013
When's the last time De Niro has carried the weight of his name in anything? And who the hell is this Jennifer Lawrence everyone is so ga-ga over?
This film, an ensemble piece about communal hope (individual hope, yes, too, but remarkably tied to communal hope in this) and incredibly ... family, and dysfunctional family no less, warts, farts, and all, just sparkles.
Okay, sure, the minorities felt tagged onto the whole, sort of a politically correct bow to the current public forum, but other than that ... a jewel.
This David O. Russell is one to watch.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

March 6, 2014
There is a silver lining to the rubbish movies i have been subjected to recently! This movie is beautifully sweet and funny, with amazing performances from everyone involved. Lawrence is fast moving to becoming the go to actress with exceptional talent that seems to only appear once every 50 years!
familiar s

January 10, 2014
Viewed on: January 11, 2014

I'd been avoiding this multiple Oscar nominee because I felt it would be a boring rom-com..However,. I gave into it the day when the other option was Pacific Rim (sounds even more boring, all the more after the jokes made on its plot). Again, I was pleasantly surprised by how wonderful the movie was. The craziness and the intimacy between the lead characters after ups and downs is dramatically funny. The humor is given more attention here than how realistic will it look. Just wish that they'd not made it so unrealistic when keeping it realistic would have been just as effective. Besides that, it's a fun popcorn movie and one ought to savor the madness. Bradley Cooper is amazing, but again it's Jennifer's charm stealing the show. Honestly, it was just a coincidence that I happened to watch this next to "The Hunger Games", and couldn't help but admire Katniss for giving yet another superior (not flawless, though) performance. Watch it and I personally guarantee* that you too will have a bit of fun, if not much.

* Having said what-not above, watch it at your own risk.
Spencer M

September 24, 2012
Definitely worthy of all the academy award nominations. Excellent performances by De Niro and Cooper. Great story and the dialogue was outstanding. Several very memorable scenes. Actually gets better the on the second viewing.
Sanjay R

February 25, 2013
This film is quirky, funny and heartfelt. The story is original and interesting, but does eventually succumb to convention. Through that, however, Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence give outstanding performances and the supporting crew does a great job as well. A well done and original movie.
Wildaly M

January 10, 2013
Not a fan on Lawrence but I definitely liked the story.
Eugene B

September 8, 2013
David O. Russell's adaptation to Matthew Quick's novel is intrinsic and dramatic to say the least. Silver Linings Playbook is a brilliant film that embodies love, life and all it encounters. The film's craftiness and quick-witted humor is a great blend to its direction. The combination of two superb performances (Bradley Cooper & Jennifer Lawrence) along with their solid chemistry is probably the best summation of the film's overall aura, thus giving them the much deserved Oscar nominations (Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress) and winnings (Best Actress) 4.5/5
Anthony L

November 29, 2013
Formulaic with a twist, predictable even in places but with a likable and hard to resist sentimentality. Pure Oscar bait. That's ok though, after what I thought was quite a shaky start, Silver Linings Playbook did turn itself around. All the performances were of a very high standard and I don't want to take anything away from Bradley Cooper, he was brilliant, it's just that Robert De Niro and Jacki Weaver were so lovely as the Mum and Dad, Chris Tucker returned with a great supporting role and Jennifer Lawrence stole the show. Tough break for Cooper that, playing the best role but being surrounded by more likable characters. As I said, it is Jennifer Lawrence in her justifiable award winning role that really makes the film. That last scene, we've seen it all before, we sort of knew it was coming but we all loved it anyway. It's all good.
Adriel L

March 10, 2013
This films feels so good with the heavy heartaches.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

October 31, 2013
I felt this film was a mess. It starts out promising, with Bradley Cooper's slightly off-kilter gaze proving quite unsettling. You know he's been through a lot, and he knows it, too. We wonder what his next move will be--as does he. In the meantime, he's doing meaningful work with his shrink, who takes his job seriously.
But then he meets The Girl, and the movie slowly morphs into a madcap romantic farce. Goofy parents get involved, the shrink becomes a drinking buddy, and all sense of seriousness vanishes. The scene in Cooper's living room stretches on endlessly as subplot after subplot play out, and drama and co 3 Stars comedy are mixed so you don't know how you're supposed to feel about any of it. Is this Rain Man or Abbott and Costello?
The old saw in movies used to be, Boy Gets Girl, Boy Loses Girl, Boy Gets Girl Back. Nowadays, it's Boy Gets Girl But Is Too Stupid to Realize It Until She Knocks Some Sense Into His Head. Of course, this rarely happens in real life. Silver Linings has The Girl for a while and then loses her, but neither the writers nor the director were able to get her back. 3 Stars 10-24-13
Lanning :

August 14, 2013
A beautiful movie. I'm usually disappointed by Oscar nominated movies because all the hype builds up to a let down. This one, however, lives up to its hype. Not only is it a beautiful movie, it's a great love story. Jennifer Lawrence is a comer. My only bone to pick is the way the central focus on the bipolar life Cooper lives drops out of the film when the dancing takes over.
Letitia L

February 22, 2013
Pretty much the perfect movie. For any girl, anywhere. Move over Jane Austen. It's got eye candy, drama, laughs, Jennifer Lawrence, football, violent-but-nonlethal-fistfights, romance and dancing!! This may be my favourite romantic movie since The Departed or that time I first watched The Town and kept watching, 4x in a row. And this is the only movie I've ever liked Bradley Cooper in. JLaw absolutely stole the show though, her histrionic displays were like watching an underwater volcano erupt -- brilliant, jaw-dropping, so elegant they're practically in slow-mo, and relatively subdued for how vibrantly they bloom into action. Damn. Saving this one for an ice-cream night in.
cosmo313
cosmo313

July 9, 2012
This may sound like a back handed compliment, but what sets this movie apart is the fact that it is a somewhat standard rom-com, only it deals with mentally disturbed individuals. It also deals with the subject matter pretty seriously and respectfully.

Pat is a man whose life is in ruins: he's lost his house, job, and wife, all because of how he reacted to his wife cheating on him. He's also got bi-polar disorder (among other issues), and, after an 8 month stay in a mental institution, he's released into the care of his parents where his attempts to rebuild his life are complicated by his parents's own issues, as well as the baggage that comes from Tiffany- a damaged woman who may be able to help Pat, but at the cost of him helping her with her own goals.

The film sounds kinda heavy, but it's really not. It does have depth and intelligence, but it finds a balance between the artsy indie and the often compromising mainstream. It's also fairly overrated, but I give it a lot of credit anyway since I am able to relate to some of the people and situations.

David O. Russell usually delivers the goods, so I'm happy I wasn't let down here. He directs a great cast, and Bradley Cooper really proves he's a true talent as Pat. Jennifer Lawrence steals the show in a deserved Oscar-winning performance as Tiffany, and I love how effortlessly she makes holding her own against the rest of the cast (especially De Niro) look. Speaking of which, this is probably Bob's best film in years. He's good, though purposefully not that likable as Pat's dad. Jacki Weaver is decent but underwhelming as Pat's mom, and I loved seeing Chris Tucker return to cinema in something not related to the Rush Hour series. Here's to hoping he continues to do more films like this.

All in all, this is some really good stuff. As I said, it's admittedly overrated, but it's hard to fault it for getting so much right.
Cynthia S

November 27, 2012
A good movie, but I am not sure why it won so many awards. It WAS well done, and the cast WAS really good. It WAS moving, and enjoyable..but all in all not even close to the best film that I saw from that year. The soundtrack was really good. It had me looking up some songs. Maybe I would have been better off seeing this before all the awards. Maybe my hopes were raised higher than they should have been. I HATE when that happens....
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

April 28, 2013
three stars
Josh L

November 19, 2012
Silver Linings Playbook is the best romantic comedy I've seen in a long time, mostly because of how fresh it is and the excellent performances & chemistry among the cast. Most, if not all romantic comedies are predictable, but Silver Linings Playbook kept me on my toes throughout. I had no idea what was going to happen next until the very, very end when it becomes obvious. The characters are all wacky, chaotic, but feel real. They all have problems and are really easy to connect with. David O. Russell could have overdone it with the mental illness angle of the film, but he juggles it perfectly. The cast is excellent. I've never been impressed by Bradley Cooper, but he was so good in this. Completely changes my perspective on him. We already knew how good Jennifer Lawrence is, so I was more looking to see if he could keep up. By the end, I thought everyone was trying to keep up with him. That's not to say that everyone else wasn't up to par, because they absolutely were, but I thought his performance was the most impressive. Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper also have great chemistry together. You never question their feelings towards each other. Robert De Niro gives a memorable supporting performance as the father with OCD while the rest of the supporting cast is full of actors just having fun from Jackie Weaver even to Chris Tucker in his first non-Rush Hour role in about 10 years. Anyone who likes a good romantic comedy with serious characters and situations rather than fairy tales should absolutely watch this film.
Al S

November 29, 2012
A special gem of a movie that is a must-see. One of 2012's best and most memorable surprises. It has one of the best all-star cast and some of the best writing. A powerful and absorbing experience. A wickedly funny, delightfully romantic, modern and absolutely magnificent movie. A fantastic mix of drama and humor that works wonderfully well together and delivers. Director, David O. Russell crafts an absorbing, edgy, compelling and breathtaking movie. A masterpiece. It delivers some unforgettable performances with it's all-star cast, everyone involved is at the top of their game. Bradley Cooper is absolutely brilliant, he gives an outrageously enjoyable and emotionally effective performance. Jennifer Lawrence gives a remarkable and sensational performance, she's a blast of comic energy and heart and is breathtakingly gorgeous. Lawrence and Cooper are exceptional together. Robert De Niro is truly fantastic, he digs deep with the type of go-for-broke acting that we have not see him do since his days working with Martin Scorsese. Jackie Weaver is excellent. Chris Tucker is terrific. A crazy-good time that has a lot of grit and emotion. A terrifically entertaining movie that's bold, magnetic, unsettling, disturbing and has tremendous heart and is very beautiful. It's almost impossible to resist.
Idrees K

February 20, 2013
Phenomenally acted twist on the seemingly dead rom-com genre. SLP manages to inject a healthy dose of realism and emotion into a genre that typically has very flat characters. It also generates discussion regarding the topic of mental health issues and how this is currently handled in our society, where discussion is long overdue.
LWOODS04