—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Sin City Reviews

Edward B

June 26, 2007
Sin City is a gorgeous and cartoonishly violent mix of old school film noir style and new school digital technology. Robert Rodriguez has brought Frank Miller's graphic novel to life on the screen almost panel to panel. The results are fascinating. Each story has dark, brooding, yet interesting protagonists. Their villains are equally menacing. The all star cast is clearly having fun getting in touch with their inner Humphrey Bogart.
Fully embracing its pulp roots, Sin City depicts reluctant anti-heroes trying to exist in a city overwhelmed with corruption and despair. It's the ultimate in hard boiled fiction.
KJ P

January 13, 2010
Most adaptations of graphic novels are style over substance but this is a great balance of both, making for a very entertaining film-noir style. "Sin City" is like a series of short films strung together to create a compelling story, and in this case, it could not have been done any better. Being released in 2005, this way of filmmaking was pretty groundbreaking and I admire Robert Rodriguez for going to new heights. With some awesome action scenes, some beautiful cinematography, great green screen work, and multiple interesting stories, "Sin City" is one of my favourite adaptations of a graphic novel. Mickey Rourke is the most notable in his role as Marv, making for one badass guy who drives most of this film to be as strong as it is. Sure, there are some pretty dumb moments and the narration can become a little distracting and tedious, but you just can't deny, this is a great movie!
366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

December 12, 2007
Stylized, intertwined stories of rough men in an urban hellscape full of ninja hookers, corrupt cops, and cannibal serial killers. The visionary quality of the nourish cinematography (black and white with occasional color accents) outweighs the cartoonish PULP FICTION-lite plot and the general sense that the whole movie is nakedly pandering to teenage boys' least sophisticated sex and violence fantasies.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

September 14, 2007
You know the trailer with that kick ass music in the background, yeah? Watch it just before you go and see this and you will be disappointed when you walk out. Trust me I was. The film does look great on screen and all the shots are framed in a comic book style, but (and its a J-lo sized butt) the acting was atrocious for the most part. The only good performances were from Mickey Rourke, Rosario Dawson and maybe Clive Owen. The cast was one of the best you'll see in one film but it was disappointing to see only three deliver. Actually one cast member who I failed to mention was Josh Hartnett who as actually my favourite character in the whole film, even though he was in it for about four minutes. The movie-going public will surely love this as they are for the most part idiots, as illustrated by the box office taking of crappy films like Are We There Yet. Just don't believe the hype this isn't the best film for years, it may be one of the most original and stylish, it is just a very well made crappy film. If that makes sense. 1/2 star Updated 9-1-13
Apeneck F

July 5, 2007
Think of it like film noir on mescaline, all garish black and white visuals with tough talking cowboy loner types prowling a rat infested urban choas of cigarette smoke, gunsmoke, beautiful bad girls and scum, lots and lots of scum. Beautiful.
garyX
garyX

October 20, 2006
Three stories from the corrupt underbelly of Basin City intertwine involving an aging cop trying to protect a young girl from a child rapist and killer, an psychotic ex-con revenging himself upon those who framed him for the death of a hooker and a killer in the middle of a turf war between the mob and a heavily armed red light district after the girls accidentally kill a corrupt cop. Containing all the trademark Noir elements of Frank Miller, Sin City is cinema aping comic books aping cinema. And it works brilliantly. Rodriguez was the perfect man for the job, and his brilliantly dynamic and stylized visuals combined with a frame-by-frame recreation of the original graphic novel does something no other comic book movie has done before; literally brought the source material to life. Using brilliantly crisp black and white photography splashed with vibrant primary colours and inventive CGI that actually plays a relevant part in the action (for a change) Sin City is surely the best looking movie made so far. Populated with super cool characters played by super cool actors spouting super cool hard-boiled dialogue, this film is...well, you get the idea. It may not be to everyone's taste as some of the violence is a little gruesome and it is can be accused of a case of style over substance, but what style it is. A nigh on perfect slice of popular culture.
cosmo313
cosmo313

May 28, 2007
A perfect recreation of the graphic novels. We basically get a compilation of some of the "yarns" from Frank Miller's venerable series about the various low lifes and their lives in one of the worst cities in America. In order, the film serves up : The Customer is Always Right part 1 (a short story), then the full length yarns: That Yellow Bastard part 1, The Hard Goodbye, The Big Fat Kill, That Yellow Bastard part 2, and The Customer is Always Right part 2 (created just for the film to act as a frame story).

It's a nice selection of works, and the vague symmetry of how they're pieced together is nice too, really showing off the intertwining nature of the stories and how, even in the graphic novel universe, they're in non-linear fashion. The Hard Goodbye is chronologically the last, but was published first, and presented third here.

Robert Rodriguez was a great choice for this, and joining him in the diretor's chair is Frank Miller himself, the best (and obvious) choice for someone to adapt this stuff. They even got Tarantino to show up as a special guset director for a single scene, which apparently was done as a favor to Rodriguez who directed a scene for Pulp Fiction. If you want to know what the scenes are, just ask because I happen to know stuff like that.

A few changes are made to the works, namely the addition of the epilogue (I can't explain it without spoliers), and some minor tweaks here and there (like keeping Jessica Alba's character clothed since she's got a no nudity clause in her contract. Changes like that aren't really much of a problem, as the main point still gets across. And, as a nicce treat, actual panels from the graphic novels were used as story boards, so the film absolutely nails the look and feel of the graphic novels.

I'm sometimes leery on the use of so much CGI, but can make exceptions when it really is used to do something stylish, innovative, and is employed creatively. That's the case here. With the exception of like three sets, everything else is done with green screen, really giving the film a unique style and appearance. Also, true to the books, the film is primarily in high contrast black and white, with occasional splashes of high definition color for emphasis, such as on eyes, shoes, or, in the case of one character, his whole body.

The casting for this was, no lie, absolutely perfect. Seriously. They managed to find the perfect dead ringers for this, and thankfully, besides looking like their characters, all the actors deliver some tremendous performances, especially Rourke, who started making a comeback with this. The actors all "get" the material, and they play it without a sense of camp or cheekiness. Well, Madsen seems a little too comic bookish, but he's still good.

It's also great that they filmed this as almost shot for shot the way they did, because had this all been in color, it'd be the most gruesome film ever. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but seriously, this has some deliciously over the top gore and mayhem, and it is gloriously awesome. It's not gonna be for all tastes, but it IS a neo noir crime thriller after all.

As much as I love this, I'm a little hesitant to just straight up slap it with the Full 5. In many ways it does deserve it, since this is a high water mark for graphic novel adaptations, but I think in a lot of ways it might be a tad too faithful, too reverent, and it might have been better had it been dialed down a notch. I do have a lot of respect for it though, and definitely feel like it is required viewing for Miller fans, Rodriguez fans, and people who dig stylish neo noir hard boiled crime thriller material.
Eugene B

August 22, 2008
Frank Miller's famed graphic comic finally comes to life. The terrifying triumvirate (Rodriguez, Miller, Tarantino) bring together an all-star cast to show a mesmerizing visual interpretation of this violent, graphic and realistic world. I applaud the direction it took. 4.5/5
Mark W

June 12, 2010
Director Robert Rodriguez is a real mixed bag for me. Most of the time, I either find his films childish or over the top. This, however, is far from childish but so wildly over the top, it's hard not to like it. It's based on the adult comic-book by Frank Miller (who serves as a co-director) and is by far Rodriguez's finest film to date.
Basin City is the film noir community that plays host to three hardboiled comic-book tales. "The Hard Goodbye" has Marv (Mickey Rourke) an brutish ex-convict who avenges the murder of prostitute Goldie (Jamie King) that he had fallen in love with; "The Big Fat Kill" where private detective Dwight (Clive Owen) finds himself helping hookers fight mercenaries from the red light district and "That Yellow Bastard" sees disgraced cop Hartigan (Bruce Willis) protect dancer Nancy (Jessica Alba) from a psychotic sadist and sex offender (Nick Stahl).
This film may be, unashamedly, computer enhanced but it doesn't diminish it's highly visual approach. It's shot in true noir style with wonderful touches of vibrant colour throughout it's monochrome palette. It also has the downbeat voiceover that most film's of the genre indulge in. It's quite simply, a stunning piece of work. Comic-book adaptations have taken to our screens on a regular basis but Rodriguez has probably been the most faithful to his source material. This is as close as I've seen in a page to screen transfer. Rodriguez has retained the look and feel of this fantasy world, practically word-for-word, and I can only assume that having it's creator Frank Miller on board is a major merit. Like a lot of comics it's most certainly a boys-own adventure; All the guys look tough and talk tough and most of the gals dress in dog collars and S&M gear. It could be deemed insulting or exploitative towards women but it's written purely as fantasy and works an absolute treat. I'm a big fan of film-noir but you'd be hard pushed to find it done in such an audacious way. Into the bargain, Quentin Tarantino 'guest directs' a scene and we are also given a huge cast of familiar faces. All of which, are superb. The real standout though is a comeback performance by Mickey Rourke. He's as brutal and relentless as they come - "... they should've shot me in the head and enough times to make sure" - and he's unlike most comic characters you'll find yourself rooting for. I've always been a fan of Rourke's and this is one of my favourite performances from him. It's great to have him back. Ultimately, it's the look and feel of the film that possesses the real power though. It's very hard not too be drawn into this visceral and uncompromising neo-noir.
"Sin City 2: A Dame To Kill For" is in the works and if Rodriguez and Miller can recreate their true visual spectacle and technical achievements, then we could be in for another treat.
Jason S

December 26, 2006
Really interesting
paul o.
paul o.

March 17, 2012
One of the finest noir films of my childhood. The cinematography grabbed my 12 year old mind and made me appreciate the aesthetics of certain films. Its a fantastic chronicle of crazy stories.
Albert K

September 18, 2010
The visuals is stark and beautiful. Told in a very comic booky kind of way, "Sin City" kinda fails in storytelling but is visually dazzling.
Kase V

April 20, 2011
'Sin City' is a delicious kick in the ass for most movie goers, and thats what makes it so appealing. The cinematography and art direction are brilliantly well done and most of the acting is top notch. Its a hard movie to watch for some film goers, but if you can swallow its cruel intentions, you will reap the benefits.
Matt G

January 21, 2011
Theatrical Cut: 100/100
Directors Recut: 100/100
Extended Cut: 95/100

A terrific blend of film noir, stylish effects, and groundbreaking directorial techniques make Sin City one of the greatest achievements in cinematic history. The great thing about Sin City aside from it's slick and stylish visuals, is it's flawless adaption from Frank Miller's groundbreaking graphic novel, with great actors, great action, and a whole lot of badass girls who can kick the asses of the 'Sucker Punch' girls any day. Next to 'The Dark Knight' this is the best comic book film ever. As an avid fan of Frank Miller's original 'Sin City' graphic novels, I was ecstatic hearing a film adaption was being helmed by the great Robert Rodriguez, Quentin Tarantino, and Miller himself.

Looks like the movie gods teamed up on this one because this is a very well-casted film. The three main leads consist of Bruce Willis, Micky Rourke, and Clive Owen, who give the most twisted performances of their careers. The characters are all involved in three "intertwining" stories, that are perfect and flawless adaptations from the graphic novel, literally. You can read the book and watch the film at the same time and wouldn't notice a thing different. Hell, even the stylized color choices are the same! The fact that the only colors gracing the screen are black, white, yellow, and the occasional use of substantial, bloody, gory, violent, body limbs flying around. The gals of the film are quite stunning, from both an acting and visual standpoint. Carla Gugino, Jessica Alba, Alexis Bledel, Rosario Dawson, and Devon Aoki are the first-class women of the film, and are quite the eye-candy for us guys.

Mature, stylistic, complex, and cohesive; Sin City is a true masterpiece.
Graham J

October 26, 2011
Rodriguez' masterpiece. You feel like you are actually in a comic book. Also great casting.
Phil H

August 8, 2007
Great flick, another great adaptation from the graphic novel and it wasn't made for kiddies, always good. This is really gory, gut wrenching, gun totting hard ass action, fudging brilliant! all the players are really well done, there was the possible all star overkill but its works fine. The look is awesome, really dark and grimey yet sharp and crisp, truely the comic book look to a tea and rings bells of 'The Crow' with its bleakness and of course colourless palette.

Hartigan and Marv are the best sections for me, probably the best characters in my humble opinion, Roll on number two.
TheGame90
TheGame90

December 20, 2007
It's a new inovative way of filming a comicbook film...
Adam K

August 19, 2011
As I began to watch this film I was suspicious and weary, and slightly bored. However with excellent background effects and interesting story lines which spook and scare 'Sin City' draws you in so by the end you are hooked and left wanting more. A Film Noir comic book adaptation, it's cheesy acting amusing at times although sometimes it get's on your nerves, however the incredible special effects and feel and atmosphere of the film makes up for this and overall it delivers a very good motion picture.
*** 3 Star