Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger Reviews

Phil H
August 22, 2007
The third and finale Sinbad film from Schneer and Harryhausen and with a title that always reminds me of the 'Rocky' franchise. To this day I'm not sure why its called this, what has 'the eye of the tiger' got to do with anything?.

So its same old Sinbad, same old plot I'm afraid, and that means he's yet again off to find a mythical object/location again. This time its because he must change a Prince back to human form after an evil sorcerer turned him into a baboon. This means he must sail to 'Hyperborea' (sounds almost 'Conan-like') with his trusty crew consisting of the usual attractive females, wise old men and monster fodder ship mates to save the Prince.

The last Sinbad adventure was pretty average and this film fares no better really. Straight away Sinbad must fight off a trio of demons that have been summoned by the evil sorcerer and it looks hokey as hell. Not only are the demon creations visually poor looking, surprisingly for Harryhausen, but the entire fight sequence is badly done and looks dodgy. Patrick Wayne is doing all manner of lame martial arts moves (yes that's right!!) involving spin kicks and it just looks hilariously bad.

From there on much like the previous film nothing much happens really, 'Prince Kassim' is an animated baboon which is very nicely done by Harryhausen. Not exactly thrilling to watch and not his best work for me but it looks good none the less, sounds effects for the animal are less enjoyable and do grate in time. The only other creature we have alongside that for a while is the Minaton which again is terribly disappointing and pointless really because it does nothing. It merely becomes a rowing machine for the evil sorcerer and then gets crushed towards the end.

So after much travelling as expected the team finally get somewhere, not before fighting a giant walrus which again is pretty average really. The whole sequence doesn't look too good and neither does Harryhausen's creation, it also seems a rather ineffective unimportant sequence and would have made no difference if it was in the film or not.

The whole film perks up as we reach the finale, Sinbad and co meet a Troglodyte which puts your faith back in Ray's work again. A simple character creation but highly effective and conveying some nice simple emotion, you do care for the big trog as he seems such a gentle big friendly giant (you can also clearly see how the same model is used again for 'Calibos' in 'Clash of the Titans'). Once we reach the magical source to return the Prince back to normal things finally get more exciting as classic Harryhausen comes into force with the trog having to fight a saber-tooth cat.

This is really the only one fun decent sequence in the entire film and is pure Harryhausen gold. Its not the best monster mash we've seen Ray do but its brilliantly done and quite bloody too. The poor old trog gets a real good ripping from the big cat and you do feel sorry for the big guy. At the same time the saber-tooth looks really excellent with realistic fur, eyes and movement. Alas trog gets killed in the end but kudos to Ray for making such a simple yet likeable, muted creature (grunts aside).

That's pretty much it really I'm afraid to say. Its all very generic and mundane in all honesty and considering 'Star Wars' had hit the silver screen in the same year it shows how childish it was really. These last two Sinbad films really do come across as films purely to showcase Harryhausen's skills, that's not a bad thing of course as its a joy to see Ray's animations but at the same time the films offered very little else.

There is still the charm of it all, the acting is hokey yet everybody looks good and you do expect these hammy qualities. This time Sinbad has two lovely ladies at his side in Seymour and Power, both there obviously to look dazzling but little else. Wayne is probably the weakest Sinbad of the three but he does have those dashing rugged good looks that are necessary plus he can make the stereotypical Arabian facial hair work. Only Patrick Troughton puts in the most memorable performance as the old Greek alchemist 'Melanthius', but that really is no surprise. The villain or the wise old man are usually the best performed characters in these dated films.

If you put down the rose tinted glasses you really do see how poor this film is, its even worse than the previous Sinbad film because there isn't really any awesome Harryhausen moments. On the whole the film is under average and just feels stretched, you can see the franchise has gone stale and is struggling for inspiration. That said its still worthy of a watch, just about, but compared to previous Harryhausen flicks its very lackluster and disappointing.
ScoopOnline ScoopOnline
December 29, 2009
One of the weak and worst part of Sinbad.
rubystevens rubystevens
July 10, 2008
patrick wayne sucks and jane seymour is annoying but harryhausen still rules. these films are somehow perfect for saturday afternoons.
flixsterman flixsterman
January 13, 2009
Classic stop-motion special effects!
Lafe F
½ August 15, 2007
Yet another exciting voyage for Sinbad. There are cool stop-motion animated monsters for him to fight. Tom Baker (Dr. Who) plays the evil sorcer. It's a great fantasy voyage.
garyX garyX
April 3, 2007
Another 70s outing for Sinbad, but the deeply bland star is continually upstaged by Harryhausen's menagerie and the enjoyably malevolent villains. Jane Seymour is as fetching as always though.
Michael G
November 22, 2006
Harryhausen effects aside it was pretty weak.
Steven V
July 29, 2007
The plot isn't fun but the adventure as always fun when Ray is involved in a picture. Some of the creatures he created here are fantastic. The effects are interesting and well made.
chadroesti chadroesti
June 15, 2007
HA that is John Wayne's son!

Claymation Sabertooth tigers and cyclops! Who could ask for more?
Marion R
½ May 5, 2007
The settings in this film are neat. Again with more claymation, really fun Saturday morning flick!
Dr. A January 7, 2008
Childish and full of film cliches. Packed with Scooby-Doo moments and bad acting... but the stop-motion animation makes up for all of it, just as 3D tries (but doesn't deliver) to make up for horrendous screenwriting today. All in all it's a very enjoyable movie to watch with kids on a Saturday night and reminisce about fantasy films which one saw, in a double bill, with great enthusiasm when they came out.

Taryn Power (daughter of Tyrone Power) and Patrick Wayne (son of The Duke himself) are BAAAAD (bad as in terrible) actors.

By the way doesn't Damien Thomas (Kassim) look like Rick Springfield?
21rclemente 21rclemente ½ November 13, 2009
Not as compelling as the "7th" and "Golden" but it still has amazing special effects from the master... Harryhausen.
Nikolaj Z ½ December 1, 2006
This one moves a bit slower than "Golden Voyage" but its a bit more darker and serious in most aspects; which works for me, but might bother those who enjoy pointless, cheezy films such as these. I remember this film really disturbed me as a kid, but it was an "enjoyable" perturbment.
movieloverforlife movieloverforlife October 15, 2006
My favorite Sinbad movie. I've loved this movie ever since I was a kid. I has adventure, mystery, romance and action. A good family movie.
gummybeargirl9001 gummybeargirl9001 July 28, 2006
This was by far one of the worst movies of my life! Such a waste of time. The main guy was monotone the WHOLE MOVIE!!! It was awful. And I was forced to watch it to make matters worse.
tk7and7is tk7and7is ½ June 25, 2006
Not quite up to the first two, but still a pip. Jane Seymour and Taryn Power are, um, really easy on the eyes.
Thomas K ½ May 24, 2014
Even better than Golden Voyage.
Craig C December 23, 2013
Third film in the Sinbad trilogy is a wonderful climax, with solid story, acting and Harryhausen's great stop motion. Good summer fun from 1977.
Abel D ½ February 18, 2013
Despite some good set pieces, Eye of the Tiger is the weakest of the Sinbad trilogy, thanks to really stiff dialogue, uneven acting despite the capable cast (including DW veteran Patrick Troughton), a clunky plot and some very frustrating editing choices by director Sam Wanamaker that render a lot of major sequences lackluster and unengaging, despite Harryhausen's usual quality effects.
Super JMan Super JMan June 16, 2012
All I can say is this: This movie is great for making jokes throughout the whole thing, especially about Sinbad's chest!