• R, 1 hr. 49 min.

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Sinister Reviews

August 20, 2014
Though cliched and not exactly original, Sinister proves scary enough to outdo most modern blockbuster horrors out there, I would have liked to see the film be a bit a more brave at times, quite a refreshing sight in the landscape of PG-13 scares.
August 19, 2014
The movie has its horror counterparts but not amazingly scary. The supernatural demon shown is not effective in the movie as he makes the children his prey. It could have been more scary
September 28, 2012
Looks like something special.
Channing Tatum
August 18, 2014
Well, this was refreshing! I've really been looking for a scary horror film lately, and this film lived up to expectations!

Sinister stars Ethan Hawke as a writer looking for his next great story when he finds out about a mysterious, gruesome murder where a family was hung in their backyard. He then moves into the house with his family, looking for evidence about it. Eventually, he finds a videotape collection filled with various depictions of other murders. As he investigates he discovers dark connections with the murders, and the further he delves into the secrets of the tapes, the more his personal sanity is tested.

What's really nice about Sinister is how refreshingly original it is. When I first heard about it, I thought it looked like a cheap Amityville Horror ripoff. Luckily, I was wrong. Sinister does a great job at balancing real and supernatural thrills, and has a fantastic amount of shocking thrills, with very few silly moments that often plague other contemporary "haunted house" films (Insidious, anyone???).

Ethan Hawke really carries this film with a much-needed intensity. Horror films need a strong lead, and Hawke was the perfect choice. Hell, he even made The Purge somewhat sufferable! That is a power only a truly great actor can have. And here is no exception. Hawke's mesmerizing performance here is one that all young actors should look at. This is how you do horror.

Speaking of how this film does the horror genre a favor, let's talk about the plot itself. I feel like I've covered most of it already, but I'll just highlight a few more bits. Mainly, of course, is the twist at the end. Sinister has a good way of surprising you at every turn, especially towards the end. I won't give anything away, just trust me that the ending, while it'll tie everything together, will really mess you up.

Sinister is a pleasant surprise of a film. It's scary, entertaining, and refreshingly original. It's been hours since I saw it, and I'm still a little freaked out. Regardless, if you're looking for a good horror film, see Sinister.
marcfletcher
August 17, 2014
Great film, a must see for horror fans!
August 11, 2014
So many elements worked together to build genuine terror in a genre that is hard to get right. The found footage aspect was spectacularly done, in my opinion. Those home movies left me sick to the stomach - setting the tone nicely for the rest of the film. The sound design was fantastic, as was Ethan Hawkes acting - lending a palpable sense of fear and disgust throughout. Most impressively to me though was their demon design. Unlike Insidious - Sinister never reveals too much, never lingers too long, it shows you just enough to burn the image onto your retinas and then leaves you in darkness. It's also lovely to have the actions of the protagonist be both explained and believable!
October 13, 2012
One of the scariest movie that I've seen for a long time. Scott Derrickson shows his great film-making abilities with memorable scenes. Ethan Hawke is very intense and his acting is great.
September 1, 2012
malditos filmes 8mm :'(
August 4, 2014
wow this film is not your typical gore horror film but manages to be creepy and suspenseful at the same time great movie for horror and non horror fans
August 3, 2014
Le cinéma d'horreur a souvent de bonnes idées. Le problème c'est de rendre tout ça un tantinet crédible à l'écran... Voir épeurant. Ici plusieurs scènes auraient pu être effrayantes, malheureusement on en montre trop... et le personnage principal prend des décisions totalement stupides. J'ai pu dormir comme un bébé après le visionnement.
October 15, 2012
The ghost in the movie look's like Jim root. This movie is scary as hell, I mean the movie it self is creep and chilling.
July 29, 2014
Good creepy horror with good suspense.
The Tornado
April 6, 2014
It has its original ideas, and it does manage to freak you out. Although it does have a few jump scares, the tension leading to the shock is very effective. And yes, this film had the living shit scared out of me.
July 27, 2014
I don't know what kind of idiots are writing these reviews because I thought this movie was a hell of a lot better than that piece of sh*t The Cabin In The Woods and that disgrace of a movie they call entertainment received much better ratings than Sinister. I don't watch many horror flicks because they are usually unbelievably stupid, but I enjoy ones like this or The Conjuring or Insidious. Something about involving children and death creeps me the ef out.
July 21, 2014
Ah yes finally I made it to watch until the end of it after two times trying to watch it but fell asleep in the middle of the movie. It's the different kind of Boogie i know but it's okay I don't mind. The problem i have is only the scary scenes come really late, like after half of the movie.
July 15, 2014
Excepting the huge holes in logic--you see a serial killer in your backyard, and you proceed to go outside and chase him? Anyway, the first half was pretty freaky, I actually stopped the movie to take a breather. The dread and horror was unrelenting. That lawnmower snuff film was so incredibly well set up!

Once the evil entity is revealed, I did not enjoy it so much. People in caked make up jumping up at random times is almost comedic. It's mostly personal preference, this movie was not for me--however hard Ethan Hawke tried.
July 20, 2014
This is one of my all time favorite horror movies! It's scary, has a great and creative plot, and a great performance from Ethan Hawke. It is taken seriously, well acted, and well written, so it feels real, which I think makes it scarier. One of the best horror movies of the decade!
July 17, 2014
It moves with a slow pace, but the writing is pretty good and the jump scares are actually genuine.
Mike M.
April 11, 2014
This is one of the better scary movies I've seen but I have to say that Sinster didn't go the extra mile. Multiple scenes have the camera change angles when there's about to be any type of blood or gore. The movie's already rated R, I don't see any reason why it goes out of the way to hide certain things when the intention of a scary movie is to actually SCARE somebody. Though I enjoyed the plot, Sinister couldn't get out of its own way.
July 16, 2014
Ethan Hawke's character is just annoying, and sooner or later the overall interesting premise is soon made laughable through a series of dumb twists and turns.