Six-String Samurai - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Six-String Samurai Reviews

366weirdmovies
½ July 11, 2010
Samurai and rock musician Buddy (martial artist Jeffery Falcon, a dead ringer for Buddy Holly) travels the post-apocalyptic wasteland, heading to Vegas with the other rock and rollers in a bid to assume the throne left vacant by the dead Elvis. In terms of the setting and concept, this blazingly original and well-crafted movie is so different and unique that you desperately want to fall in love with it, but the layers upon layers of stylization are just so damn thick you end up feeling alienated from the world rather than drawn inside it. Lots of people fall in love anyway, and it's worth taking a chance for fans of cult movies.
DrBenway
½ March 24, 2008
It's The Road Warrior Picture Show with a Buddy Holly doing his best Toshiro Mifune starring in a Sergio Leone gang picture set in a fantasy future, directed with the flash of a Hong Kong action flick and the nice and slow style of a samurai film and I was still bored
½ June 30, 2007
This movie is a wonderful experience - the cinematography is stunning, the fights exquisite and the music perfect. One of the most enjoyable theatrical experiences of all time; I'd recommend it to anyone with an open mind about movies.
½ May 24, 2007
It is quasi-low budget, and patently absurd. Buddy Holly goes to post-apocalyptic Lost Vegas to claim the vacated throne of the monarch of the post-nuclear-United-States... Elvis Presley. But the dark spectre of Heavy Metal intends on claiming the throne.

The themes and mood are over-the-top. The acting is acceptably absurd. The script is filled with the appropriate number of non-contextual one-liners.

Overall, it is excellent as a rarely-seen cult movie... just don't try to make it out to be anything more than that.
April 11, 2006
I recomend this post apocalyptic tale of the various degrees of rock music. Beware it is an aquired taste and not for everybody.
Harlequin68
½ January 3, 2008
[font=Century Gothic]"Six-String Samurai" takes place 40 years after the Russians bombed America and invaded in 1957, and Elvis was crowned king in Las Vegas. Now, he is dead and a slew of men are making their way to Las Vegas to attempt to replace him. One such is Buddy(Jeffrey Falcon, who also co-wrote) who rescues a child(Justin McGuire) before he ventures into the wastelands. Hot on Buddy's tail is Death(Stephane Gauger) and His Horsemen of the Apocalypse...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Six-String Samurai" is an offbeat adventure film that combines several genres into one happy mix with a little Bergman thrown in for good measure. Of all the influences, "The Wizard of Oz" stands out the most. The movie is entertaining throughout and lasts just long enough that it does not overstay its welcome. And there is a cool music score from The Red Elvises, too.[/font]
April 14, 2009
It's a nice idea and it tries hard, but ultimately there's little substance to it.
½ November 17, 2012
The United States is turned into a nuclear wasteland after losing the Cold War to the Russians in 1957 and Elvis Presley is named King of the West, but when he dies some years later, musicians from all around flock to Lost Vegas to try and take his place. Our hero is Buddy, a samurai sword-wielding rock'n'roller that must make it there without crossing paths with Death, whose heavy metal band is vying for the throne as well. Now, that's the coolest premise for any movie out there. Whether or not it is effectively executed in "Six-String Samurai" is something entirely different. Lance Mungia's direction is too offbeat and bizarre and he takes advantage of his wide-angle lens a little too often, but in the long run, his eccentric style works. It makes good use of an inventive script written by him and star Jeffrey Falcon that plays out like a post-apocalyptic fantasy Western crossed with a B movie. It's worth watching simply because of how original it's written, set up and shot, and even if Mungia's directing style is a little strange and Justin McGuire's whining is guaranteed to get on your nerves, it's a real gem of a film.
½ January 31, 2008
Tries so hard to be wacky and cultish that it is a sickening watch. Very disappointing.
½ July 10, 2007
With too many nods to samurai movies and El Topo to count, this movie really tells a great story. There's even references to Wizard of Oz. The direction is somewhat Gilliam-esque but definetly different enough to not peg at a rip off. See it.
½ March 31, 2007
Created an internet buzz to become a small cult hit. Some interesting shots, but the plot is lacking and performance are a little one note.
I considered turning it off a few times.
June 16, 2014
This film has an amusingly insane premise: In a post-apocalyptic America Buddy Holly heads to Vegas to claim the throne that was until recently occupied by Elvis Presley. Meanwhile he is hunted by heavy metal, intent on his destruction. And the opening scroll explaining all that was by far the funniest part of the film. I find that a lot of films with an insane premise work so hard establishing even a hint of plausibility that they completely miss the chance for further jokes. This film does not suffer from that flaw since it completely embraces its madness from the start. Unfortunately, this does not make it a better film. There is no plot except a man trudging through the desert fighting people, and while all the references to rock stars start off funny they get old quick. In all this is a confused mess of a film with nothing to offer but an amusing plot description. And I can sum that up in two sentences.
December 5, 2013
Being a musician and a big fan of 1950's rock n' roll, i was a bit biased coming in. Though completely out in left field, the film manages to humor and thrill viewers. Now, it may be that some of the jokes and scenes were more appealing to me simply because music is relevant in my own life, but i think regardless of your background the film is fun. I did not, however favor the little boy or his survival. Too annoying and helpless. Oh, and i guess death is deathly allergic to water...
October 18, 2013
Some movies are both dumb and funny, this was just dumb and mostly boring. The kid in this had to be the most annoying character I've seen in a movie since Jar Jar Binks. This movie tried to be 'cool' but it just fails, especially the Slash wannabe.
½ January 22, 2013
At long last, I've seen this movie. And guess what? It was piss poor. An amazing concept can only ever go so far without a plot and really good acting. This movie holds together on the fact that the lead looks an awful lot like Buddy Holly and the pretty good guitar solo duel (that ends WAY too fast). Otherwise, this is a long, drawn-out, meandering wreck.
Not. Worth. My time.
½ January 27, 2012
Bizarre, fast, and a straight-up fun waltz across the apocalypse with some wickedly twisted music propelling you along. Highly entertaining film for those who like to look just off the beaten path for something different.
½ June 3, 2007
Dumb low budget indie kung fu/sci-fi actioner that's supposed to be cheesy and over-the-top but still comes off as crap. Yes, I get it. I just don't like it. Deal with it...
½ September 12, 2010
It's so disheartening to see a brilliant idea fall victim to sloppy execution, specifically in terms of dialogue and direction.

To watch a movie where so little is at stake emotionally because you have no connection to the characters (due to most of their dialogue being catch phrases or monosyllabic wails), it almost makes me wish that I did not watch it in the first place.

At the same time, the idea of a post apoctalyptic America that has fallen to the Soviets, where people wander aimlessly with samurai swords strapped to their guitars is brilliant and deserves much better treatment and mystery than this straightfoward, made for tv-looking mediocrity.
½ July 14, 2010
Worst movie I have ever seen and deserves a much worse score than it has, regardless of what it has at the time of this reading.