Sixteen Candles Reviews

May 26, 2015
Another must see. Although funny to look back on the film rating system and see how much both it and society's values seem to have changed since we were kids. There is a shower scene with I believe full frontal female nudity which you would NEVER see in a PG-13 movie which this movie would be rated today. You basically don't have any nudity in PG-13 movies these days - violence decapitations galore but nudity and sexual references! NO WAY! We wonder why kids are running around shooting each other? I guess I liked it better when they were getting drunk and pregnant back in the 80's instead of hatching bomb plots and murder suicides. A lot of the plot revolves around sex, virginity etc. so if that is a taboo topic in your house watching this film with your kids will have to wait.
April 20, 2015
One of Molly Ringwald's most iconic character roles, Sixteen Candles is as memorable as it is casually hokey.
April 13, 2015
Damn before seeing this how I wanted to hate it but this well written and these funny,touching characters ruined what I intended to be my hate fest.Damn you Hughes.
½ April 6, 2015
Thirty years later and the film, which is arguably very much associated with the decade it was made in, still holds up better than most of the coming of age stories made now. It may not be the best John Hughes' movie, but as his first, it's definitely noteworthy.
June 4, 2007
Definitely overrated, other than Molly Ringwald's character the cast is pretty deplorable. It has minor moments of humor, but they do nothing to progress the plot, which is a relatively simple one to begin with. Some of the jokes are awkward. Just bland.
½ February 28, 2015
This movie did not age well...
January 30, 2015
A cut above the usual teen movie by way of a whip smart script, great editting and a fantastic performance by Anthony Michael Hall. Full review later.
½ October 13, 2014
Jake Ryan, though.
Surprisingly poorly written, for Hughes. Also, date raping a drunk hot girl is hilarious, I guess. It has the feel of a first draft that was never looked at again. But, feel-good '80s. So, whatevs.
September 8, 2014
Good high-school flick. Funny and joyful.
September 7, 2014
Had its cute moments, but made 1.5 hours feel like 3. And what's up with that weird Chinese / Korean / Japanese guy speaking a madeup Asian language.
September 2, 2014
Guess watching it as an adult doesn't make any sense
August 23, 2014
Two thumbs up! A Classic! Loved it!
½ August 21, 2014
What I got to say about "Sixteen Candles" is that it a good movie that is funny and original. The performances in this movie are good. The directing and screenplay by John Hughes is great. The cinematography is fine. And the score in this really worked really well. "I got to report that "Sixteen Candles" is a movie that is so significantly and so well done." "This movie a exceptionally a good movie!"
½ August 12, 2014
This movie got played A LOT during my youth. Naturally, I've grown to dislike this movie.
July 27, 2014
i love this movie so much
½ February 10, 2010
(First viewing - Teen years)
½ April 18, 2014
So enjoyable regardless of being a set of the worst things that could ever happen in a single day...
July 8, 2014
A very good movie. The whole cast was great. The directorial effort was great. There were some sloppy spots. But the movie still made me laugh.
½ February 13, 2012
John Hughes is the best director of the "teenage genre" movies ever. "Dong, have you seen my automobile?!?"
½ June 11, 2014
Sixteen Candles is well-paced, and it has a good sense of humor. Too bad it also has Long Duk Dong and other obnoxious stereotypes in it.