Sixteen Candles - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sixteen Candles Reviews

February 6, 2016
I didn't realize how zany and hilarious this movie is! It's a great comedy, with a lot of heart. It's not as serious or insightful as Breakfast Club. It's its own beast and it's great!
January 1, 2016
Solid. I feel like this film is a bit overrated as far as John Hughes films go (this is like my 5th favorite of his lol). But still an 80s/teen classic.
December 24, 2015
It shows potential throughout and entertains thanks to its lively cast and down-to-earth mishaps, but ultimately falls short of being a well-rounded, significant and complete film about the struggles of teenagers.
½ November 19, 2015
Sixteen Candles, the directorial debut of John Hughes, struggles to keep the flame burning through all three acts, but is overall mostly entertaining fare thanks to a fun story and memorable performances from Molly Ringwald and Anthony Michael Hall.
½ July 25, 2011
Not my favorite Molly Ringwald film but watchable.
October 14, 2015
Some funny moments, and a classic film for sure. Doesn't hold up that great I didn't think. Ringwald was awesome, as was Hall.
August 15, 2015
I was 17 when I first saw this movie. I laughed, but even back then I found the manner in which the Asian character was presented disturbing. It actually ruined the movie and my high back then. I no longer get stoned, but I still am unable to enjoy the movie for the racism it presents. Which is too bad, because there are a lot of smart things going on in this comedy.
July 20, 2015
What the damn hell, Hughes?
July 11, 2015
Entertaining 80s Teen Flick. A bit better than Weird Science imo.
June 22, 2015
I don't get what all the hype is about. I finally watched this for the first time and it was very... forgettable. Maybe in the '80s this was fresh, and bold and unique. But in 2015 it is boring and dull. Wasn't worth my time.
May 26, 2015
Another must see. Although funny to look back on the film rating system and see how much both it and society's values seem to have changed since we were kids. There is a shower scene with I believe full frontal female nudity which you would NEVER see in a PG-13 movie which this movie would be rated today. You basically don't have any nudity in PG-13 movies these days - violence decapitations galore but nudity and sexual references! NO WAY! We wonder why kids are running around shooting each other? I guess I liked it better when they were getting drunk and pregnant back in the 80's instead of hatching bomb plots and murder suicides. A lot of the plot revolves around sex, virginity etc. so if that is a taboo topic in your house watching this film with your kids will have to wait.
April 20, 2015
One of Molly Ringwald's most iconic character roles, Sixteen Candles is as memorable as it is casually hokey.
April 13, 2015
Damn before seeing this how I wanted to hate it but this well written and these funny,touching characters ruined what I intended to be my hate fest.Damn you Hughes.
½ April 6, 2015
Thirty years later and the film, which is arguably very much associated with the decade it was made in, still holds up better than most of the coming of age stories made now. It may not be the best John Hughes' movie, but as his first, it's definitely noteworthy.
June 4, 2007
Definitely overrated, other than Molly Ringwald's character the cast is pretty deplorable. It has minor moments of humor, but they do nothing to progress the plot, which is a relatively simple one to begin with. Some of the jokes are awkward. Just bland.
½ February 28, 2015
This movie did not age well...
January 30, 2015
A cut above the usual teen movie by way of a whip smart script, great editting and a fantastic performance by Anthony Michael Hall. Full review later.
½ October 13, 2014
Jake Ryan, though.
Surprisingly poorly written, for Hughes. Also, date raping a drunk hot girl is hilarious, I guess. It has the feel of a first draft that was never looked at again. But, feel-good '80s. So, whatevs.
September 8, 2014
Good high-school flick. Funny and joyful.