• PG, 1 hr. 33 min.

100% Orphan Black: Season 2

Sixteen Candles Reviews

Ben D.
December 14, 2013
Thanks to John Hughes' hilarious writing and characters, Sixteen Candles rises above all the other uninspired garbage that has plagued the teen comedy genre.
January 16, 2008
My first Ringwald / 80s Hughes movie. Basically. It was enjoyable and reminds me a lot about MY high school days. At least my parents remembered my birthday.
March 1, 2014
The one guy lets the other guy rape his girl friend and everybody acts like it's normal and funny.
September 15, 2007
A total classic! Although, you may not enjoy it if you aren't a child of the 80s.
February 3, 2014
Molly Ringwald has her 16th birthday but her family is so preoccupied with her older sister's wedding that they completely forget her big day. She has a crush on the jock, but a nerd has a crush on her. She must find a way to enjoy her birthday, despite the dance where things don't go quite as planned. A pretty typical 80's comedy especially with John Hughes. Pretty good and pretty much typical of the 80s.
January 25, 2014
Prefered other John Hughes films and you can see he has come to the end of his reign with this film. The cast do well but the story just seems to be a re hash of other teen films from Hughes
January 24, 2014
All anyone can say is, "It's a great, classic comedy to be remembered!"
May 17, 2010
The fashion, music, and political correctness may be somewhat dated; but the characters, emotions, and themes remain timely to a startling degree. These characters may look different now, but most of them still exist to some degree in the high school setting, along with their emotions and conflicts which we see in the film. Hughes was always a master of portraying the emotions and conflicts of people much younger than him, and that he can say accurately portray the emotions, dreams, and angsts of a sixteen year-old girl is an incredible testament to the man. It's also simply one of his best films, and probably his funniest. The emotional turmoil of a sixteen year-old girl isn't something I could particularly relate to, but the comedy certainly was. It's just a very funny film with some oft-immitated but never duplicated scenes of hilarity. Round that out with a great supporting cast that all bring something wild and original to the table and it's a pretty great film.
November 18, 2012
Sweet, funny, and unpredictable.
The Master
January 23, 2014
Pretty nice suprise considering I typically ignore any movies in a high school setting. Influential amon the youth of the era and overall funny and memorable. It's a basic teen movie that has the jokes and the dialouge to make up for it's unoriginality. You probably won't get a suprise out of Sixteen candles but you'll get some laughs.
January 19, 2014
Hughes once again brilliantly explores the high school experience. An enjoyable if unambitious effort.
Monica Susie
January 6, 2014
Overrated much? Sixteen Candles is incredibly clichéd and predictable. The film is about Sam who has turned 16, but her family have forgotten about her birthday. Sam is in love with the school hottie and surprise surprise he's crazy about her too. I wish my high school years were that good; I never got hot guys lusting over me. 16 Candles just isn't very realistic and is just not something you can really identify with unless you had a nice, caring, romantic and hot boyfriend at school. Maybe I'm just bitter, but the story is a bit bland and it's just like every other 80's teen movie. I know this film is considered a classic, but apart from having a crush (usually unrequited) I don't think it's something that teenagers can really relate to. The acting is average; I'm not really a fan of Molly Ringwald and I'm not surprised that her career went down the drain. 16 Candles is watch-able and Jake Ryan is hot, but that's about it!

Grade: D-
May 23, 2009
An appealing, quick humored 80's fun.

12/01/2014
339z
November 7, 2006
wow what a movie.......i have just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a brilliant movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie......i think that molly ringwald, anthony michael hall, michael schoeffling, paul dooley, liane alexandra curtis, justin henry, haviland morris, gedde watanabe, billie bird, edward andrews, carole cook, blancher baker, john cusack, play good roles/parts thorughout this movie.......i think that the director of this comedy movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.......i think that the special effects thorughout this movie were really good throughout this movie.....i think that molly ringwald was brilliant throughout this movie as the lead role.......its got a great soundtrack throughout this movie......i think that this is an enjoyable movie 2 watch.....i think that this is such a brilliant debut from the late great john hughes........its got a great soundtrack throughout this movie......i think that molly ringwald was brilliant throughout this movie as the lead role/love interest throughout this movie......i think that Blanche Baker was brilliant throughout this movie as ginny throughout this movie.....i think that anthony michael hall was brilliant throughout this movie as the geek/ted/farmer ted throughout this movie......i think that the special effects throughout this movie were really good throughout this movie.....i think that this is such a really funny movie 2 watch......i think that this is a great movie for 1984 to watch its got a great soundtrack throughout this movie.......i think that the car chases were really good throughout this movie......i think that john cusack was brilliant throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a great movie 2 watch.......i think that molly ringwald was brilliant throughout this movie as the lead character.........i think that this is such a cult classics comedy movie 2 watch.......i think that gedde watanabe was brilliant thorughout this movie as Long Duk Dong throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a brilliant classics movie 2 watch i think that this is such a great movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie......its got a great soundtrack throughout this movie its such a brilliant movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie its such an enjoyable romantic comedy movie 2 watch its such a brilliant movie 2 watch.......
Matthew Samuel M

December 10, 2013
Since this is John Hughes' directorial debut, it's understandable Sixteen Candles is far below the caliber of such brilliant and powerful classics as Pretty in Pink and The Breakfast Club. But not even that expectation can justify the disappointment Sixteen Candles is. Characters are not as well developed as they usually are in Hughes' best films, and some parts come off as simply ignorant---even mildly racist in relation to a Chinese exchange student. All that aside, however, the film paves the way for Molly Ringwald's later success, and partially signifies her ability to captivate an audience and properly embody the truths of teenage angst. Sixteen Candles is only watchable when Ringwald is on screen. It is unfortunately brimming with cheap humor and shaky plot twists.
The13x
The13x

March 1, 2009
Among the 80's movies I've seen, Sixteen Candles unfortunately doesn't qualified as a classic. Don't get me wrong, I love Molly Ringwald and Anthony Michael Hall here, but the movie's script is such a flaw and the dry humour doesn't helped either.

6/10.
Sarah B.
November 18, 2013
The music in this movie is so bad, and that's not the worst of it.
November 14, 2013
80's classic, with iconic 80's Molly Ringwald and Anthony Michael Hall acting out every teenagers trials through their high school days. A go to movie for a rainy day.
October 30, 2013
Can someone explain why this boring film with a seeming lack of self-awareness is so revered?
October 27, 2013
Sixteen Candles is easy to relate for some unpopular teenagers. But the pace is too slow for a simple story, and the jokes aren't that funny. I don't really understand why Molly Ringwald was the star 'cause her performance is replaceable and not THAT impressive, while Anthony Michael Hall's performance is easy to remember and simply funny.