28% The Other Woman Apr 25

The Sixth Sense Reviews

Page 1 of 2033
Apeneck F

July 18, 2007
One of Bruce Willis' best, it was the first movie where i finally gathered that it's not just that people pay to see a movie that makes a film hot, but rather how many times they go back ... to see that shit again, that's what makes a blockbuster. This is one hoot, yah sure, you betcha, worthy of repeat viewings ... M.Night Shyamalan hasn't beat this one yet
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
No matter how much M. Night Shyamalan continues to go downhill, this will continue to hold up as a great film.

Influenced by an old episode of the show "Are You Afraid of the Dark?", this is an engrossing psychological thriller about a troubled child psychologist named Dr. Malcolm Crowe who begins to treat a gifted boy named Cole who confesses he has the ability to see the dead.

Both Dr. Crowe and Cole are troubled, and share a sense of alienation, and while Crowe should be the one helping Cole, it seems that there could be a turning of the tables, with Cole being the one helping Dr. Crowe put his own demons to rest.

Twist endings were nothing new when this film came out, but it seemingly resurrected the trend (for better or worse). Heck, the trend has continued through most of the rest of Shyamalan's own work since then. It is a good twist, and it works, but I like this film regardless of the twist. I mostly just like how well the twist works, and the point that it gives the film, making you realize it's really about something other than you initially think it is.

In general, this is just an extremely well crafted film. Everything is very deliberate, thought out, and expertly set up and executed. This is some great writing and direction, and it's all highlighted by some excellent and evocative cinematography and camera work.

At the core of the film though, and what really holds it all together are the two central performances from Bruce Willis and Haley Joel Osment,. Willis proved he can really excel at serious drama, and was even awarded an Oscar nod for his efforts. He's great ,but actually manages to get practically outshined by Osment. Most child actors are so-so at best, but this kid knocks it out of the park here, and it's a shame he's pretty well fallen into obscurity. These two have great chemistry with one another, and you really get drawn into their world and want to see them get through their situations. The other performers are also good, but mostly overshadowed by these two, A big exception would have to be the brief but memorable appearance of Donnie Wahlberg as a former patient of Dr. Crowe's. It's chillingly effective.

Actually, 'chillingly effective' is a great way to sum of the whole film. It's moody, atmospheric, eerie, and unforgettable, largely because of the things I've already mentioned, but also because of the terrific score as well.

This film gets talked about a lot, and I doubt any of what I've said are new contributions, but trust this film's reputation as great and go see it if you, for some reason, haven't already.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

November 29, 2009
Suspense till the End. Though always having trouble prouncing the Directors name out. *shakin head
AJ V

September 6, 2010
A chilling, creepy, dramatic ghost story... with a twist at the end of course. Luckily this was Shyamalan's first film, otherwise it wouldn't have been as good as it was. We can only take his twist endings for so long. But being the first, this was the best. If you only see one of his films, make it this one. The cast is great, the story is brilliant, and if you don't know the ending by now you will find it comes as a complete surprise. I highly recommend this movie it was the best psychological horror/thriller film of the year.
garyX
garyX

November 3, 2006
A child psychologist who is shot by a former patient he failed to help becomes obsessed with the case of a small boy who is exhibiting similar symptoms. Although M. Night Shyamalan's career has taken a serious dump since his halcyon days, The Sixth Sense is the film he will always be remembered for. A mix of supernatural thriller and wish fulfilment fantasy, it delivers both spine tingling chills and pushes all the right emotional buttons when presenting this sensitively told tale of a small boy who is living in constant fear of the dead who seem to be stalking him. Although the famous twist in the tale is the biggest talking point, it's amazing how well the story stands up even when you know that it's coming; you find yourself admiring the subtlety and cleverness of the (mis)direction and the wonderful performances, particularly by Haley Joel Osment which, considering his age at the time, is frankly astonishing. One of the best films of its type out there and an achievement MNS can be proud of despite his nosediving career.
Alexander D

June 14, 2011
From director M. Night Shyamalan and actor Bruce Willis, THE SIXTH SENSE is a fantastic achievement of modern psychological suspense/horror, and probably one of the better ones we've seen since THE SHINING.

This film tells the story of a single mother named Lynn Sear (Toni Collette) who, after finding her son Cole (Haley Joel Osment) acting very timid and strange, calls a child psychologist, Dr. Malcolm Crowe (Bruce Willis). Cole finds Dr. Crowe hard to relate to at first, but he later considers him a friend--a good enough one to tell that he "sees dead people". That's when all the secrets Cole seems to know start to make sense. And from there on, we are in for a lot of suspense, chills, and a twist ending.

The one thing I like about this film is that I shunned it for a while after the first time I saw it, because it deprived me of nearly a whole night of sleep; but when I decided to give it another try, I didn't see what was so bad about it. In fact, the second time watching it brought me even more chills, and I am hoping for a prequel (not a sequel!), as ridiculous as it may sound. And if you have not seen this, then you are depriving yourself! THE SIXTH SENSE is not perfect, but it is almost as much of a twisted thrill ride as HALLOWEEN, THE SHINING, and POLTERGEIST combined.
Eric A

September 24, 2011
The ending! What a movie!
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

February 27, 2011
The Sixth Sense is not only of the greatest films ever made, it stands as the greatest twist ending of all time. The story revolves around Malcolm Crowe (Bruce Willis) a child psychatrist who decides to help a young boy who can see ghosts. The storyline is never boring and is an incredible ghost story, every moment of the film is memorable and great. The cast was great, Haley Joel Osment plays to this day, the greatest child role in film history, and Bruce Willis needs to do more drama roles, he is great. The Sixth Sense is a masterful movie, and one of M. Nights only good movie.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

July 5, 2009
1...Sight 2...Sound 3...Smell 4...Taste 5..Touch 6...The Sixth Sense

Good movie! M. Night Shyamalan is one of the most interesting directors for me and one of many's I'm more enthusiast from once a film is newly made. This is where Haley Joel Osment really showed his talent as a young actor and he did excellent.The Sixth Sense is more than simply a wondrous two hours. It has, in effect, created a new genre of filmmaking... the film is neither drama, nor horror, nor action. Rather, it is a seamless blending of all three, a film that encompasses the best aspects of each genre, without being limited by the worst. Hollywood has taken notice of this, and one can only expect a series of poor imitations to follow. But at least they'll always have The Sixth Sense to guide the way.

Child psychologist Malcom Crowe is one night visited by an ex-patient named Vincent, angry, enraged. He wounds Crowe, then kills himself. A few months later, Crowe is visited by a 9-year old boy named Cole. He sees dead people who do not know they are dead. Because of this, he is called a freak in school. Crowe, at first thinks he is seeing things, but after spending a lot of time with Cole (much to his wife's dismay), he discovers Cole may be seeing dead people after all.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

August 24, 2011
Probably one of M. Night Shyamalan's best films and that says a lot. The Sixth Sense is a brilliantly conceived suspense horror film that is very creepy. This was made back when Shymalan made good films (yes, he most certainly did). The Sixth sense is a wonderful film that's has plenty of jolts, and mystery to keep the viewer on the edge of his seat. The cast deliver great performances, and the story is strong. However my favorite M. Night Shyamalan film is Signs, but this one is a close second for me. The film I thought was great, and it also kept me on edge. It's rare that a film does that, but the Sixth Sense does it very well. This is a very good film that though not perfect, is one of Shyamalan's good films, and if you're apprehensive about watching his films due to his current track record, then give this one a shot along with Signs. The result is a a fine film that delivers memorable jolts and is one of the best Horror / mystery films to come out in quite some time. Looking back The Sixth Sense, you wonder how a once good director has fallen from the tree. I guess Shyamalan is one of those filmmakers that has expired all his creative energy after three or four films. This is a terrific film that's sure to please horror and mystery film fans alike.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
Great film! The twist at the end was fantastic. A must see!
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 9, 2007
i have always loved this movie and it has and i think always will be that movie where no one was expecting Bruce Willis to actually be dead.
A very good and brilliant psychological thriller that is truly a classic.
It is a very creepy thriller that some scenes in this movie may keep you up with nightmares, and Haley Joel Osmont will forever be known as the boy who 'sees dead people'.
Absolutely worth the watch.
Sophie B

May 29, 2011
A brilliantly endearing narrative that takes you to the heart of its characters. I felt connected to them as soon as it started and was interested the whole way through. Fantastic acting from Osment as with the others. A very sad and connecting film. Not many people want to die, so Crowe's unwillingless to let go is captivating.
michael e.
michael e.

May 23, 2011
scary, strange, disturbing, and all around a very good film
Kase V

April 20, 2011
A creepy thrill ride from when Shyamalan used to be really good. Bruce Willis is awesome... and how about that twist?
BEACHBUNNI
BEACHBUNNI

February 5, 2008
I have just watched The Sixth Sense for the second time,didnt get around to reviewing after the first watch. Listening to everybody telling me about it and how much they enjoyed it, made me realise how popular this movie really is.. For those who haven't seen it, The Sixth Sense is about a little boy who is continuously hassled by spirits everyday, and wants help to get rid of them, in walks Bruce Willis to help him try and make sense of his abnormal power. must say that even though there have been loads of movies that use the same theme and idea as this one, the twists and turns and the originality really makes it stand out from the other movies as well as the brilliant directing and the fantastic performances,in my opinion. The Sixth Sense boasts a brilliant cast and the main two characters, portrayed by Bruce Willis and Haley Joel Osment, were phenomenal all the way through the movie. They made their characters their own and they were very convincing and sometimes even haunting.
def worth a watch this one~!
Christopher A

February 22, 2011
A darker version of Ghost, The Sixth Sense is attention grabbing. Its brilliance lies not only in the performances by Bruce Willis and Haley Joel Osment but also the intelligent story telling and filming that makes sure that you look, but doesn't let you see.

Even knowing the twist this film is a worthy watch as Dr Malcolm Crowe, a child psychiatrist recently troubled by a failure in his past tries to help Cole Sear, a young boy haunted by ghosts and whom is too terrified to seek help.

This movie turned a whole generation onto the opinion that Haley Joel Osment is 'one creepy kid' when it really should have been 'damn that kid can act'. The fear in his eyes when revealing his dark secret is so powerful that it made me believe!

Ultimately its the twist that you remember as the standout thing about this film and rightly so as its pure genius. However, this shouldn't overpower the acting and the delivery of what is a fantastic film about ghosts communicating with the living.

"I SEE DEAD PEOPLE"
Conner R

October 16, 2010
The misconception about this is that it's a horror movie, when it really isn't. It's just a really unique drama with ghosts in it. The objective of the movie is not to scare, but to emotionally captivate you. The mourning aspect still works and this can live on as opposed to just being about a surprise twist. M. Night Shyamalan's vision is amazing and there is such a grand scale feel to the movie that might not have been there with another person behind the camera.
Page 1 of 2033